Remove Advertisements

U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Arnock » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:32 am

I used to torrent a lot of currently airing T.V. shows, with the justification that the networks weren't directly getting any profit from me viewing the shows on T.V. However, I've recently gotten an arbitron meter (sort of like a nielson box that you wear like a pager) So I've subscribed to hulu plus.

Unfortunately though, hulu's player seems to have been breaking a LOT lately, and it's getting frustrating enough that I might have to go back to pirating my shows, I just need to know whether the signal that's read by my meter is still in shows that have been recorded and uploaded to torrent trackers.


My music, on the other hand, is all bought on itunes, amazon, or ripped from physical CD's bought directly from the artist(s) where possible.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Fetzie » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:38 am

Same here Skye. IF there was an option to pay CBS/Fox/HBO/PBS to legally stream their series, or if I could use Netflix and pay with Paypal, I would gladly pay the 20 bucks a month or whatever. But I can't. This is why people pirate tv series. Because they can't watch them any other way. I could wait 3 years for Sat.1, RTL or ProSieben to pick up the new series of NCIS or How I met your mother, but then they go and dub it into german. And jokes don't translate.

I do not pirate music.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2173
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby theckhd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:11 am

Arnock wrote:Unfortunately though, hulu's player seems to have been breaking a LOT lately

Yes, it has. That's been really irritating.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7716
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Brekkie » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:15 am

Wow, I was kind of tentative about posting my story because I totally expected people to jump all over me and be like HOW COULD YOU PIRATE YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON AND STEALING EVIL BAD RABBLE RABBLE
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Treck » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:49 am

I cant remember last time i actually bought something instead of downloading it.
Trust me, if i had the money to, i would.
I dont even pay for my own wow subscription, as i "buy" gametime for gold.
Not to mention that while id really like to put my support to some awesome games that ive really liked, and some movies i really enjoy aswell, i wouldnt even have seen or played one tenth of them if i would have had to buy them.
And thats a huge part people are missing when they just go "omgomg pirating is bad must be punnished", the fact that 90% of the people who pirate stuff wouldnt have seen the movie anyway untill it was on TV for free or whatever anyway, sure "big" movies lose more with pirating, but honestly, can i cant say i feel bad about pirating movies that bring in multi million figures on its opening night.
Smaller companies get shitloads of prmotion when people download it free, and lots more people get to see their content.

I pay for my music, as its 100times easier to deal with new music etc with spotify (that im currently using) compared to before when downloading and then having to move around your music from one computer to another.
Same for Steam, ive payed for a few games on steam cuz they simply make my life easier with their services.
And ofc online subscription is hard to walk around, but then they made Diablo 3 free, so np :P

Pirating might be free, but its tons less work to actually buy the shit, especially downloadable services like Steam making everyones lives much easier.
If you get 10euro an hour from work, id gladly work 3-4 hours instead and buy a game i want than to download it and have to mess around with it, but i also wanna know its a game i WANT to have, and since all games doesnt do "demo's" anymore, its hard to know if its something you wanna play or not.
Play it, and see if you enjoy it, then buy it if you wanna support the product, if you dont enjoy it, they did a shitty job at giving you a good product and shouldnt get the money anyway.
Image
User avatar
Treck
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 am

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:01 pm

theckhd wrote:
Arnock wrote:Unfortunately though, hulu's player seems to have been breaking a LOT lately

Yes, it has. That's been really irritating.


I Hulu on my iPad 2 mirroring the screen to my Apple TV.

Apparently the Hulu app supports HDMI out but not AirPlay directly.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7499
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Fivelives » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:18 pm

Hey Brekkie,

HOW COULD YOU PIRATE YOU ARE A HORRIBLE PERSON AND STEALING EVIL BAD RABBLE RABBLE
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Arnock » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Although not directly related to sopa/pipa, in a few days, jailbreaking a phone could become illegal again.


http://gizmodo.com/5879180/jailbreaking ... n-fight-it
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3657
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:54 pm

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11022
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:11 pm

Treck, I'm thoroughly confused by your post. It starts with...

Treck wrote:I cant remember last time i actually bought something instead of downloading it.
Trust me, if i had the money to, i would.
I dont even pay for my own wow subscription, as i "buy" gametime for gold.
Not to mention that while id really like to put my support to some awesome games that ive really liked, and some movies i really enjoy aswell, i wouldnt even have seen or played one tenth of them if i would have had to buy them.
And thats a huge part people are missing when they just go "omgomg pirating is bad must be punnished", the fact that 90% of the people who pirate stuff wouldnt have seen the movie anyway untill it was on TV for free or whatever anyway, sure "big" movies lose more with pirating, but honestly, can i cant say i feel bad about pirating movies that bring in multi million figures on its opening night.
Smaller companies get shitloads of prmotion when people download it free, and lots more people get to see their content.
To this I say boo fucking who. I realize we're dealing with shades of gray, but not being able to afford something just doesn't really qualify as a reason to pirate it. Particularly given the amount of time you talk about playing just WoW (never mind all this other stuff) and my initial reaction is to get a freaking job, and stop with all that justification nonsense. It's one thing to be willing, able, and even attempt to pay, but no one will take your money, but just saying "well I can't afford that so I'll pirate it", to me is totally different and not cool.

But then you say...

Treck wrote:Pirating might be free, but its tons less work to actually buy the shit, especially downloadable services like Steam making everyones lives much easier.
If you get 10euro an hour from work, id gladly work 3-4 hours instead and buy a game i want than to download it and have to mess around with it, but i also wanna know its a game i WANT to have, and since all games doesnt do "demo's" anymore, its hard to know if its something you wanna play or not.
Play it, and see if you enjoy it, then buy it if you wanna support the product, if you dont enjoy it, they did a shitty job at giving you a good product and shouldnt get the money anyway.
Well OK, if you are talking about working a few hours to pay for a game you tried and liked or stop playing it if it sucks, that's fine, but it totally doesn't jive with the first part, thus my confusion.
Fridmarr
Global Mod
 
Posts: 9665
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 am

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.infowars.com/sopa-and-pipa-fully-alive-and-a-new-bill-joins-them/
http://www.pcworld.com/article/248525/s ... n_act.html

OPEN act could allow SOPA/PIPA to sneak into congress

I am saddened to learn that a Republican from Texas is the one pushing the hardest to try and get these things through... I've been gradually leaning away from the Republican party anyway, as the years go by, but this doesn't help their case any.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3918
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Treck » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:48 am

Fridmarr wrote:To this I say boo fucking who. I realize we're dealing with shades of gray, but not being able to afford something just doesn't really qualify as a reason to pirate it. Particularly given the amount of time you talk about playing just WoW (never mind all this other stuff) and my initial reaction is to get a freaking job, and stop with all that justification nonsense. It's one thing to be willing, able, and even attempt to pay, but no one will take your money, but just saying "well I can't afford that so I'll pirate it", to me is totally different and not cool.

I might have been a bit unclear, its not that i have no money at all and cant afford anything thus i pirate.
Its more that i dont have infinite money to spend on any crappy game i likely wont end up spending much time on anyway.

How much do i really talk about the time i spend in wow?
During progress yes, these days tho i raid 4 hours a week, and sit afk in wow when im at my computer like if it was msn/skype, i barely "play" wow anymore except that.
And i do have a job (I dont know how many times ive mentioned that i could barely even attend dragonsoul progress cuz of it).
I spend 11hours a day attending work cuz i have to travel and shit, still doesnt mean im willing to put out money for a game i only might enjoy, and if i do enjoy it I do support it.
Movies is a whole other story, and series are just hard to actually watch legitimately.
Image
User avatar
Treck
 
Posts: 2120
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:10 am

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Passionario » Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:32 am

degre wrote:I love BBC because everything they show on TV they also show on their BBC iPlayer, in high definition.


Not available outside UK, unfortunately.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
User avatar
Passionario
 
Posts: 3349
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:52 am

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby Fivelives » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:04 am

Passionario wrote:
degre wrote:I love BBC because everything they show on TV they also show on their BBC iPlayer, in high definition.


Not available outside UK, unfortunately.


I can't help but wonder how much piracy would decrease if they'd just get rid of the stupid restrictions and gave access to everyone, rather than restricting it by country.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3106
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: U.S. Internet Censorship bill (SOPA/PIPA)

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:07 am

It'd be nice to see, but as far as the BBC is concerned you're not likely to see it offering the iPlayer outside the UK unless they stop funding it through TV licence fees.

The other, ad-funded, channels could probably pull it off, though, if there was an overhaul of how international rights to TV shows are handled.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6810
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest