No Blizzcon for 2012 (and other eSports stuff)

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

No Blizzcon for 2012 (and other eSports stuff)

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:58 am

Credit to Kat for linking me the article: http://us.battle.net/blizzcon/en/blog/4 ... _2012#blog

REALLY glad I went this past year, but damn, I was excited to go again.

Edit: Content link for those who have problems at work:

2012 Battle.net World Championship Event

Blizzard Entertainment is proud to announce the 2012 Battle.net World Championship, a major global eSports event featuring some of the best pro-gaming competition in the world. Slated to take place in Asia toward the end of 2012, the Battle.net World Championship will host this year’s StarCraft II and World of Warcraft Arena World Championship tournaments. Blizzard gamers and eSports fans from around the world will be invited to attend and witness some of the most skilled pro players on the planet battle it out for cash and glory.

We’re excited to be showcasing Blizzard eSports on a truly global stage this year. We're also heavily focused on getting Diablo III, Mists of Pandaria, and Heart of the Swarm into players’ hands as soon as possible. In light of our jam-packed schedule, we’ve decided to hold the next BlizzCon in 2013.

More details about the 2012 Battle.net World Championship and BlizzCon 2013, including specific dates and locations, will be coming in the months ahead.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: No Blizzcon for 2012 (and other eSports stuff)

Postby halabar » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:11 am

That means D3, Pandaclysm, and the SC expansion will all likely be out (or very very close) before the normal Blizzcon window. Which means nothing to talk about, except that which they are not ready to talk about.

Blizzcon 2013 = Titan
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby culhag » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Blizzcon 2013 = Titan, WoW Expansion, D3 Expansion, Starcraft Protoss
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Archeth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:44 pm

We can only hope this is the case :D
Archeth

Postby Petrus » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:48 pm

I'm mildly disappointed but this does slightly increase the chance that I'll make it to Blizzcon in 2013.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:02 pm

I see a lot of people freaking out that theres no blizzcon 2012, for me this is even more interesting tho.
Lots of esport promotion is a good thing :P
Hopefully blizzcon 2013 is early 2013? rather than two whole years after last blizzcon?
Treck

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Treck wrote:I see a lot of people freaking out that theres no blizzcon 2012, for me this is even more interesting tho.

Just remember, if Blizzard does anything different than what they have done in the past it is the single greatest tragedy ever known to man.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby lythac » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:40 pm

Slated to take place in Asia toward the end of 2012,

I can see why it is taking place in Asia. I wonder if had the event been in the US it would have sold out. Probably.

Hopefully Blizzcon 2013 takes place in Europe :p
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:30 pm

When I first heard rumors about BlizzCon 2012 being cancelled, I was concerned, but it still made sense because they have nothing to announce -- everything will have just been released, and Titan won't be ready to announce.

With the promise of BlizzCon 2013 and an eSports event this year, it sounds great. Interesting that they will be hosting an official Blizzard event in Korea; I rather preferred the idea of flying in the Korean players to compete in the US to draw in the American crowd since we're the ones who need convincing still. It certainly makes sense though.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:45 pm

I guess the part I don't get is that why does Blizzcon have to be about an announcement? People enjoy it just for the chance to interact with other people they know. There doesn't need to be an announcement to make it enjoyable and exciting.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Teranoid » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:48 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I guess the part I don't get is that why does Blizzcon have to be about an announcement? People enjoy it just for the chance to interact with other people they know. There doesn't need to be an announcement to make it enjoyable and exciting.

Because Blizzcon is nothing more than a giant PR fest to hype their products. They have said previously that they actually lose money by putting these things on and it's basically all in the name of hype and getting the gaming populous pumped up about their releases.

Attendance was down last year from the year before and they're finding these Esport events (GSL/MLG/etc) to be way more profitable especially with their intent on having it in Asia this year proabably in China or as close to Korea as possible for maximum draw.

There's no point to hold a Blizzcon in 2012 when all the games are going to be released by then and have the potential to have an even worse turnout than previous years where there -have- been announcements.
Teranoid

Postby Treck » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:12 am

Nikachelle wrote:I guess the part I don't get is that why does Blizzcon have to be about an announcement? People enjoy it just for the chance to interact with other people they know. There doesn't need to be an announcement to make it enjoyable and exciting.

Sure the people who goes have a great time.
Compared to the ammount of people who watches/are interested in all the announcements, those are a very limited ammount of people.
For a lot of people, this is going to be like blizzcon anyway.
for those who goes, theres going to be a lot of people to interact with, and its going to be enjoyable and exciting if you are there aswell.
And if you follow the tournaments from home, thats likely to be even more interesting for a lot of people than following the announces (lots of people was more interested in the sc2 tournament during blizzcon 2011 than announces, yet they saw very little of that through the livestream)
Treck

Postby bldavis » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:38 am

the thing i dont get is why everyone says its canceled?

no one ever said there will be a BlizzCon 2012
hell there was no promise of a BlizzCon 2011 until IT WAS ANNOUNCED

nothing was announced means there was nothing to cancel

and really what is blizzcon?
PR hype mnachine, a bunch of sweaty geeks and RTS tournaments

nothing to hype this year, and RTS tourney is happening in the biggest market for it

let the flaming begin since i KNOW i pissed someone off

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:57 am

bldavis wrote:let the flaming begin since i KNOW i pissed someone off

especially since you said it twice...

I'm glad it was cancelled, only in that it means everything that's coming soon should be out before it would have occurred.

I'm sad in that Titan is far enough off that they feel they don't have anything to say yet, or, it would put a damper on Pandaland.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Invisusira » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:54 pm

bldavis wrote:and really what is blizzcon?
PR hype mnachine, a bunch of sweaty geeks and RTS tournaments

Pissed people off? Doubtful, your statement is spoken like a sweaty geek who has never attended and only evokes pity for one so naive.

After being there last year, I'm definitely disappointed there won't be one this year to go to.
Invisusira

Next

Return to General