Remove Advertisements

Looking at tanking trinkets for DS

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Looking at tanking trinkets for DS

Postby Aelean » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:37 pm

I've been looking to upgrade my trinkets but I have been having a hard time finding the information I am looking for in regards to current trinkets. Right now I am still using the Mirror of Broken Images coupled with the Stay of Execution. I recently acquired Resolve of Undying from the LFR (my actual DS drops have been very meh for me despite killing Deathwing for weeks now.) And I was looking to see how I may calculate that into my avoidance as well as what other tanks are looking at using for their secondary trinkets.

Personally I find the trinket from VP to be -very- underwhelming because excluding Blackhorn and Zonozz, I don't feel as if having a truckload of dodge at the ready is valuable. The SoulShifter Vortex feels, at least to me, as if it is aimed more towards Bears or DK's as going over the block cap doesn't really give us paladins any sort of benefit. Indomitable Pride sounds good on paper but I have been reading a lot about getting poor use out of it due to a small amount of damage pushing us over edge and then putting the trinket on its internal cooldown. I see use for this trinket on the Madness fight itself for sure on impales but not a lot past that.

Is the loss of the AMS from Mirror of Broken Images really worth it for what feels like a teir of very underwhelming trinkets for us paladins. I struggle most with magical damage, as we all do, so I like to be able to mitigate large amounts of it on command. I figure Resolve of the Undying is a good pair with this but again, I don't know how to calculate the dodge rating into my 102.4% cap without pushing myself too much over it.

I appreciate any advice that can be sent my way as I am still a baby tank, only having been tanking since about the beginning of Firelands, perhaps some of you more knowledgeable tanks can give me some insight as to your feelings about this tier of trinkets.
Aelean

Re: Looking at tanking trinkets for DS

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:27 am

There was a discussion about trinkets not to long ago here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32394

There's a thread now specifically about the Resolve here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32348

This tier is pretty underwhelming; what's good for you is going to depend a lot on your play style and raid tendencies. I'm personally running the Pride (which works well for me since I don't dip under 50% except on big hits), and an upgraded Scales, because I like the clicky. I went double stam as a lark and experiment and haven't switched to something more reasonable yet. I'm likely to go Pride/Stay of Execution when I get around to it, because the Stay's clicky is pretty tasty.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:40 pm

fuzzygeek wrote: I'm likely to go Pride/Stay of Execution when I get around to it, because the Stay's clicky is pretty tasty.

No one ever commented on my reasons for using Stay in other post, but I'm glad someone agrees about how awesome that trinket is! I love it on every fight, and need to use it more. Plus its nice to reforge that to mastery! If I ever get Pride to drop I'll use that with stay, but switch out stam trinket pending on fight.

Hmmmm... I guess I'd use dodge trinket for zonozz, warmaster, and I'd still use for norm mode madness. I remember from karate kid 3 where the crazy guy that wasn't mr. miagi was like a man can't breathe a man can't fight. If the adds can't hit you they can't stack tetanus! I'd use pride on morch ( for stomp damage since the rest is really easily manageable), hagara, ultrax ( hour of twilight seems like it could give decent shield), it'd be nice for spine just for the extra hp since dodge trinket would be meh here. I guess I'd use TB trinket for yorsaj ( I don't now but only because it is normal mode), but either way stay is completely invaluable absorbing giving you a 20 percent damage reduction for up to 30 seconds. I just like the wiggle room with it.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:51 am

Existing thread already exists.

Locking this one.

Bara.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice