Remove Advertisements

[10] Madness of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby rodos » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:52 pm

We didn't kill this one yet, but a couple of tips from our attempts where we were usually getting 2 impales per corruption.

1. Take a priest. We were able to handle 2 impales with Pain Suppression or Guardian Spirit (he did a few attempts in each spec to test healing effectiveness). I (Holy) had HoSac/DS ready, but never had to use it.

2. The corruptions have a huge hitbox. Our melee were initially running much further than necessary from the tentacle to the corruption, costing them dps.
rodos

Postby Schroom » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:51 am

mh just my 2 cents. I solo tanked this too.

we did 1 tank 3 healers (holyprist, holypaladin, Resto-Shaman)

I forbade our holypaladin to give me a LoH in P1.

we initially did green/yellow/blue/red as we tried with 2 healers, but later we went green/yellow/red/blue with 3

usually we don't get a 2nd impale on the first 2 platforms, as our dps is pretty good, but just in case I planed for 8 impales.

CD rotation for impales I use:

1: Dream + Devine protection + WoG overhealshield with active wings -> drop down to 80% life
2: Bubble on / impale / bubble off -> 0 dmg (the swingtimer of the tentacle should be 1.5 seconds so if timed correctly no one gets hit by the tentacle, works pretty fine for me)

3: GoAK - Devine protection + WoG overhealshield with active wings -> drop down to 80% life
4: AD and the second I get the impale and AD proccs I give myself an instant LoH, to spare our healers a heart attack.

5: I ask for guardian spirit, but I have actually very rarely see it procc, with Devine protection + wings -> WoG overhealshield I drop to about 10%, we then just let the guardian spirit procc to get me back to full HP.
6: Hand of Protection on / impale / Hand of protection off -> 0 dmg (well except for the damage taken from the meteor, thats why I usually use Stoneform as well for this as well as a WoG and devine guardian for the raid)

7: GoAK - Devine protection + WoG overhealshield with active wings -> drop down to 80% life
8: Bubble on / impale / bubble off -> 0 dmg (and of course guardian angel for the raid -> meteor)

P2:

now here it is a little tricky with 1 tank.

just before the adds spawn you see two little dustclouds on the ground. That's where they spawn, I put a consecration here to get the initial aggro off of the healers and start tanking them and pull them as fast as possible in Nozdormus timevortex. and mark one add to be focused.
if I am lucky I had no shrapnel on myself and still got my dream, well good!

first thing I use is stoneform and on use "dodge" trinket (like the masterytrinket fromt he vendor) then devine protection shortly followed by GoAK and only then I use the dream as well as AD and I allow our holypaladin to give me a LoH if necessary as well as Guardian angel which is ready again in this phase. You really have to make the right decisions here when to use what cooldown, but as the damage grows bigger over time use the weakest cooldowns first and than go to the stronger ones.
the really tricky part here and in all of P2 is to stay calm!

If I survive this (in about 3 out of 5 times) everything is fine and we go on, if I don't I usually die the second when the 2nd add dies and get brezzed, I never really died earlier as soon as I got my CD rotation right.

the Brezz is the reason why i specc into consecration in this fight, as I'm oom after the brezz.

we DPS DW until he is at about 11% because past 10% the raiddmg gets just insane. (we got about 15k inc dps per raidmember with active raidwalls + dream )

second adds, almost the same, only that our cat goes bear and offtanks the second add, whe just use what cooldowns we have and a shout from one of our warriors.

after those adds died we pull heroism and use all the offensive CDs left. at 6% we start with raidwalls and 4% personal defensive cooldowns.

i don't understand why in our raid the dmg past 10% Bosslife starts to become so insane, with my alts I went in there with PUGs and the raid got almost zero dmg without raidwalls. but nonetheless we manage meanwhile. And can call it a farmboss.
Schroom

Postby Belloc » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:54 am

The damage after 10% is going to be bad for any group. Is it possible that you're missing resistance aura? Resists and absorbs are pretty huge at that point.
Belloc

Postby jekoh » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:05 pm

Schroom wrote:first thing I use is stoneform and on use "dodge" trinket (like the masterytrinket fromt he vendor) then devine protection shortly followed by GoAK and only then I use the dream as well as AD and I allow our holypaladin to give me a LoH if necessary as well as Guardian angel which is ready again in this phase. You really have to make the right decisions here when to use what cooldown, but as the damage grows bigger over time use the weakest cooldowns first and than go to the stronger ones.
the really tricky part here and in all of P2 is to stay calm!

Terrors don't melee hit often and they miss each time so the "dodge" on use is fully useless, you should better use the tol barad trinket against tetanus stacks, a stamina trinket or the trinket from firelands with mastery + on use strength 1277 for 15sec to increase dps
Tol Barad trinket is a strong choice as it increase your magic resistance by 30% when used

you say "7: GoAK - Devine protection + WoG overhealshield with active wings -> drop down to 80% life"
I would glyph divine protection to have an extra strong cd against terror tetanus and other magical damage on plateforms and so I would not use it on impale, GoAK alone is 50% damage reduction, GoAK + divine protection is 60% damage reduction so without using it your life would be 65-70% not a big deal compared to the 80% and surely more mana saving for healers if you use it during a pop of small tentacles. You have stoneform so use it on plateforms instead of non glyph divine protection

And moreover tol barad trinket and divine protection are up for each elementium terrors pop so this should help a lot to survive the 2 waves.

damages under 10% are hard and even under 5% with around 30-40k every 2sec but you may have lots of raid cd at that time : raidwalls, aura mastery, your divine gardien, shaman totem
jekoh

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:21 am

2: Bubble on / impale / bubble off -> 0 dmg (the swingtimer of the tentacle should be 1.5 seconds so if timed correctly no one gets hit by the tentacle, works pretty fine for me)

I have been debating about doing this for some time on some of our kills when I get screwed on some CD rotation, but have not due to my fear of killing someone else. What's your timing for this? Right as impale starts to cast?
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Schroom » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:22 am

Code: Select all
I have been debating about doing this for some time on some of our kills when I get screwed on some CD rotation, but have not due to my fear of killing someone else. What's your timing for this? Right as impale starts to cast?

yes as no enemy is doing melee when casting :P so it is depending on your latency when to use it. I use it when the cast is about halfway through, wait for my character to "light up" and then hit my bubble again to cancelaura.

to the others I aggree that the tolbarad trinket would be bad ass, but I would have to regem and reforge my whole gear to stay block caped with that one, which I am just not ready to do for a boss that is now offically "on farm".

I haven't thought about the DP glyph tho for that fight, but now as you say it, I noticed that except for the impale and P2 I am using it as well to reduce the debuff from the blobs, if available which is magical damage too... shame on me, I'll do that tonight. (alltough we got a new DK tank on try outs today, gotta keep up wit that AMS at least a litte bit ;-) )

oh and about the on use avoid effect, I always thought that debuffs like this stack on melee hit, so if the mob doesn't hit you the debuff stacks slower. Used the same trick with Halfus HM back then, and so on.
Schroom

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:37 am

meh
Last edited by Belloc on Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belloc

Postby Cowmmunion » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:13 am

It is like Void Bolts - you cannot avoid Tetanus. Elementium terrors *always* miss their melee hits anyways, so I'm not sure what you are trying to avoid. Check your logs. Jekoh was giving you good solid advice.
Cowmmunion

Postby Belloc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:53 am

Then how is it that tetanus often seems to fall off while the mobs are still alive?
Belloc

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:56 am

Belloc wrote:Then how is it that tetanus often seems to fall off while the mobs are still alive?

I don't think I've ever seen it fall off while tanking them (unless I've bubbled it off).
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Cowmmunion » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:04 am

Belloc wrote:Then how is it that tetanus often seems to fall off while the mobs are still alive?

Anecdotal Anecdote is anecdotal.

Go look at any logs, and take a look at the debuffs you KNOW can be avoided - specifically, the armor sunders from blackhorn and normal morchok. You'll be able to see the dodge/miss/ etc. Then go find me a log that shows an avoided (not absorbed) Tetanus.
Cowmmunion

Postby Schroom » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:41 am

I really guess you are right Cowmmunion.

and the tetanus got nothing to do with the melee hits.

although you said that the melee hits always miss, which might be a bad choice of words, they only seem not to hit.

[22:48:37.578] Elementiumschrecken hits Schroom Dodge
[22:48:42.447] Elementiumschrecken hits Schroom Dodge
[22:48:45.390] Elementiumschrecken hits Schroom Dodge
[22:49:00.342] Elementiumschrecken hits Schroom Parry
[22:50:09.303] Elementiumschrecken hits Schroom Dodge
[22:50:13.897] Elementiumschrecken hits Schroom Dodge
[22:50:18.460] Elementiumschrecken hits Schroom Miss

so we only see 1 miss 5 Dodges and 1 Parry.

logs: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-my3ntj0pn4tepmfl/xe/?s=12231&e=13069&x=targetname%3D%22Schroom%22+and+%28fulltype%3D101++or+Fulltype%3D201%29+

the logs from our other kills show similar results
Schroom

Postby agetro » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on raid positioning for Elementium Bolt? For our setup it hits immediately on the 4th (Blue) platform and we just can't seem to get through it without killing someone. Our raid comp changes, but this last great attempt we had 2 tanks, 3 heals, 3 melee, 2 ranged. No issues at all until we got to that 4th platform with that bolt. We tried leaving the "slow buff" up, but the bloods weren't being killed fast enough with the "blue buff."

Edit* Most of our raid but 1 heal and both tanks are standing near Deathwings arm. The holy priest is usually almost dead after bolt hits which I try to LoH, but sometimes the pulse ends up taking him or others down before its burnt.

Pally/DK Tanks
Mage x2
Ret Pally
Combat Rogue x2
Holy Priest x2
Holy Pally

...is what we used this last go.
agetro

Postby Kitmajere » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:50 pm

Your positioning itself sounds ok, other than the other tank could go run away with you as well. Be sure to have people spread out as soon as their hp recovers so that crush doesn't hit everyone. Your holy pally should be the one standing in heal range of the tanks, since he can bubble the bolt landing/ticks.
What cooldowns are you using for the bolt landing? Assuming your dps can kill blistering tentacles decently, you really can blow everything for the bolt - DG/AM and then one of your divine hymns after it lands. The priests can also put lightwells down for everyone to click. All of that is probably overkill, but it still leaves you with an additional divine hymn and the DK tank's vamp blood (if he has 4p) for the blisterings. In addition, those cds you use for the bolt landing will come back up by the time you need them in P2.
For the priests living through the bolt landing, have them desperate prayer right after it hits and then one immediately divine hymn. They can even PW:S themselves before it lands if necessary.
Also you have a ton of immunities you could be using - the mages could iceblock its initial landing, the rogues cloak, the pallys divine shield, the DK tank AMS. If they can reliably using their immunities, you may even want these classes to *not* clump so that they can lure the crush away from your squishier people. Using an immunity and standing apart would be particularly useful for your melee, so that they can dps the bolt immediately upon landing, instead of having to run over there.
Your comp is really good for trivializing that platform - just use all of your abilities!
Kitmajere

Postby Era » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:38 am

In our first kills, for the 4th platform bolt we used Divine Guardian (prot pala), Power Word: Barrier (disc priest) and a tranq if it was necessary. Lately we've only used my Divine Guardian or the disc Barrier. Usually the Mutated Corruption tentacle is dead before the bolt hits, but the first few times it never died - which meant I had to stay outside. At that point I used Bubble or Ardent Defender to survive.

Like Kitmajere (Dragonlance fan, eh? :D) said - just use all of your abilities! Staying alive and spending all your cooldowns is better than dying, even if you might not last through the rest of the fight, at least it's another step on the way!
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)