Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning

Postby twinkfist » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:27 pm

anyone see this yet? doesn't come out till Feb 7th...which is 8 days earlier than my birthday so I'm going to have to lay the hints out to my girlfriend.

the story was written by RA Salvatore...and in 5th grade when my teacher couldn't get me to read the phantom tollbooth, she and my mother negotiated and i got to write a report on the Crystal Shard...which got me into fantasty books and whatnot.

he wrote the story, todd mcfarlane from spawn did the art and it looks pretty good. more wow-ish than other games...but apparently the main quest is 60 hours long...but doing all side quests can equate to 200+ hours. I'm awaiting this game with bated breath. in the meantime, playing romance of the three kingdoms 10 again to pass the time.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/video/134096240700 ... t-trailer/
twinkfist

Re: Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:53 pm

As a fellow R.A. Salvatore fan (and recently his son too) I am very very excited to try this game. If they can stick to even a fraction of the story R.A. writes i'm sure it will be an amazing game.(At least story wise)

As for the gameplay the combat reminded me of playing a Fable game when I watched the previews.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby twinkfist » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:10 pm

he supposedly wrote a history that encompasses 10,000 years. in fact, this game was supposed to be on the computer as a mmo...but something happened and it's now just a console game.

they have something with the code-name "copernicus" that may be this game but an mmo.
twinkfist

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:37 pm

twinkfist wrote:he supposedly wrote a history that encompasses 10,000 years. in fact, this game was supposed to be on the computer as a mmo...but something happened and it's now just a console game.

they have something with the code-name "copernicus" that may be this game but an mmo.

Yeah I remember seeing that before - it looks amazing. I'm really glad more developers are considering going for a HEAVY lore / story based MMO.

I can't count the number of times while playing SWTOR that I had the urges to F5 Quicksave and then remembered it's an MMO.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby twinkfist » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:10 pm

so, with a little more than a month till the release of the game...i'm still hoping that some early reviews come out.

every game will have it's bugs, but almost all of the small game play reviews have people going in not expecting much and then leaving wanting to experience more of the game because it was too short. and that the story was amazing.

not sure where i'm going to go with my leveling though...straight up warrior...or warrior/mage type spec with a little in stealth. that part is cool to me...where i'm not just melee...i could be melee and then throw fire bolts and lightning bolts out at mobs...and then clean them up with a giant hammer or sword.
twinkfist

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:08 pm

and it's curt schilling's game

who said that 38 studios was just vaporware

Seriously, The Instance did a Curt Schilling interview a couple of months ago regarding the game, they also sent one of the guys as a demo tester and they were showering the game with praise
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Orthien » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:27 am

I'm keeping my eye on this game. Seem to me to be in between Fable and Skyrim which could make for a very good game, that and it has some decent people working on it.
On the mmo front I think I remember seeing somewhere that this game comes first then the mmo follows later also fitting into the same world and story.
Orthien

Postby twinkfist » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:27 am

if the game really works and if the "talent tree/destiny" thing works out...they could really be on to something with this game.

i'm really interested to see how it will do...and i will be getting it as soon as it comes out...so i have to basically destroy 4 games before feb 7th. assassin's creed brotherhood and revelations (WOW delayed me beating brotherhood for a while...or revelations...i get them mixed up)...liberty city stories and some transformer game that doesn't look too bad.
twinkfist

Postby twinkfist » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:12 pm

for those that are interested, there is a demo for this game available for download on 01/17 for the ps3, xbox and pc...i think pc, not 100% sure on that.

going to download it for my ps3 tomorrow.

it's a timed 45 minute demo and you can explore the starter dungeon and 2 zones.
twinkfist

Postby bldavis » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:45 pm

twinkfist wrote:for those that are interested, there is a demo for this game available for download on 01/17 for the ps3, xbox and pc...i think pc, not 100% sure on that.

going to download it for my ps3 tomorrow.

it's a timed 45 minute demo and you can explore the starter dungeon and 2 zones.

O.O

god i hope its on PC too...
a guildy told me about this game and i cant wait to try it out

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby twinkfist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:03 am

yeah, i've been looking for something that will take up my time after i get my 3 toons geared out from Look for Loot.

Not sure if i'm going to level another toon, although i changed my mage from Arcane from Fire at level 33 and it's really a much more fun spec to play.

i never played fable, dragon age, skyrim, etc...but for some reason, this game is catching my eye and it has for a couple months...so i'm definitely getting it when it comes out...which is 8 days before my birthday.

so, birthday present for me.
twinkfist

Postby Thalia » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:58 am

I really want to play the demo but I don't want to spoil it for myself, I think it's coming out next month I'll just wait and hold my excitement =)
Thalia

Postby Lightbeard » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:28 am

I saw the gameplay

Considering skipping Skyrim and saving my money for it
Lightbeard

Postby Kelaan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:33 pm

What I like about it is that the combat appears smoother and more engaging than that in Elder Scrolls, while still having a compelling ability to mix and match magic / face-smashin. Respecs in a single player game also make me happy.
Kelaan

Postby twinkfist » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:41 pm

i read some reviews from people playing it on xboxlive gold...as they had the first crack at it.

about 90% of the reviews are positive...and even the 10% don't say, "this game is garbage, don't buy it"...they just don't like some of the art or whatever.

most seem to say that the combat is awesome and it's huge and a pretty good story.
twinkfist

Next

Return to Other Games