Maintaining block cap with kings/food to gain stam?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Maintaining block cap with kings/food to gain stam?

Postby Echaa » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:54 pm

I started playing around with the idea of maintaining just enough CTC to remain block capped only with kings/mark and a feast. I threw some maths together to come up with an equation using your current dodge/parry ratings and strength to estimate what your dodge+parry will be with kings and a feast to then estimate the amount of block and/or mastery you need to have to remain capped. While the formula could be rearranged to get your dodge/parry needed I chose to use mastery because it isn't subject to DRs and is easier to calculate and manipulate with gems.

I wrote a small program in C++ to take in your dodge/parry(rating), and strength and then give you the block/mastery needed to remain capped with kings/feast for a warrior and paladin.
All of the formulas and constants I used came from the Elitest Jerks thread: http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t29453-comb ... cataclysm/

The largest drawback to gearing like this is that if you die and are rezzed mid fight you may gain kings/mark but you're not going to get a feast buff. If you die and a rezzed you'll lose your block-cap.
Do you guys think the slight stam(or other stats) gain from gearing this way is worth the potential to - if you die and get rezzed - lose your block cap mid fight?

I can put up the actual equations and how I got to them if there's interest but I've got a feeling the negatives outweigh the positives of this style of block-capping.
The formula/program work and give seemingly correct numbers with the test numbers I used from my own paladin.
Code: Select all
// Avoidance Calc Light
// AvLite.cpp

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main()
{
    double blockPct,
           dodgePct,
           parryPct,
           paladinMastery,
           warriorMastery,
           tempParry;
    int    dodgeRat,
           parryRat,
           strength;

cout << "~~~Avoidance Calculator Lite~~~\n";

// ---------------------------------------------
    do{
    cout << "Enter unbuffed DODGE rating: ";
    cin >> dodgeRat;

if(dodgeRat < 0 || dodgeRat > 4000)
    cout << "Enter a valid dodge rating.\n";

}while(dodgeRat < 0 || dodgeRat > 4000);
    do{
    cout << "Enter unbuffed PARRY rating: ";
    cin >> parryRat;

if(parryRat < 0 || parryRat > 4000)
    cout << "Enter a valid parry rating.\n";

}while(parryRat < 0 || parryRat > 4000);
    do{
    cout << "Enter unbuffed STRENGTH: ";
    cin >> strength;

if(strength < 0 || strength > 10000)
    cout << "Enter a valid strength amount.\n";

}while(strength < 0 || strength > 10000);

// accounting for feast:
    dodgeRat += 90;
    dodgePct =( (0.3713889 * dodgeRat) / ( (dodgeRat / 176.7189) + 62.743657) );

// accounting for kings/mark:
    tempParry = (strength * 0.05) * 0.25;
    static_cast<int>(tempParry);

parryPct =( (0.3713889 * parryRat) / ( (parryRat / 176.7189) + 62.743657) );

blockPct = 102.4 - dodgePct - parryPct - 15;

paladinMastery = (((blockPct - 5) / 2.25) - 8) * 179.28004;
    warriorMastery = (((blockPct - 5) / 1.5 ) - 8) * 179.28004;

cout << "\nTo maintain the block-cap with Kings/Mark and a Fish Feast\n"
         << "you need to have at least " << blockPct << "% chance to block.\n\n"
         << "This equates to a total of " << paladinMastery << " mastery rating for a paladin\n"
         << "                       and " << warriorMastery << " mastery rating for a warrior.\n";

cout << "Press [enter] to exit.\n";
    cin.ignore();
    cin.get();
    return 0;
}
Echaa

Re: Maintaining block cap with kings/food to gain stam?

Postby Jeremoot » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:05 pm

You should gear to have full CTC with all of the buffs brought by your raid.
Jeremoot

Postby theckhd » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:33 pm

Echaa wrote:I started playing around with the idea of maintaining just enough CTC to remain block capped only with kings/mark and a feast.

This is how most of us do it already.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Echaa » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:12 pm

theckhd wrote:
Echaa wrote:I started playing around with the idea of maintaining just enough CTC to remain block capped only with kings/mark and a feast.

This is how most of us do it already.

Are you ever concerned you'll take an unmitigated hit if you die and get rezzed in the middle of a fight?
Echaa

Postby Nikachelle » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:14 pm

If you die in the middle of a fight and have to get battle-rezzed anyway, you've got bigger problems than worrying about a minute percentage of unblocked hits.

Plus, if you're really that concerned about it, you could always carry a mastery elixir for those just in case moments.

Also, if you're looking to gain more stam from your gear, use mastery food instead of the feast. The mastery food will give you 1.13% CTC coverage whereas the feast (90 dodge) only gives you 0.34%.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:59 pm

Echaa wrote:Are you ever concerned you'll take an unmitigated hit if you die and get rezzed in the middle of a fight?

Not especially, most of the really dangerous stuff in Dragon Soul isn't blockable anyway.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:48 am

In Firelands when unblocked hits were more of a worry I had a 359 libram with a mastery gem that I'd swap in if I died. Relic of Khaz'ghoroth gemmed with mastery had very similar CTC to mastery reforged Deathclutch Figurine with stam gem + food buff, so it worked out. This tier we don't have that option as our relic has mastery anyway; unless you want to buy two and have one with mastery reforged off and gemmed for stam that you use most of the time, and another that's gemmed with mastery and not reforged, but really, unblocked hits are not that big a deal in this tier.
Rhiannon

Postby Schroom » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:47 am

yeah or, if you are lucky enough to get souldrinker AND the mastery/Crit weapon. just switch weapons after you die to make sure staying capped, if it worries you. but I agree with Nikachelle here.

first of all you should not die. Except your tactics suppose you to die and a BRezz is reserved just for you. Those are some crazy tactics, but we did it on deathwing for P2 as I was the only tank. but as mentioned above the adds in p2 aren't really hitting hard with their melee attacks. Their debuff is what worries you.
Schroom

Postby Treck » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:41 am

If you ever die and get CRd, assuming you are getting all the basic rebuffs, you are just like 1% off from block cap (thats IF you have managed to balance your stats perfectly with the buffs) even just taking an unblocked hit wont kill you, so the chances of that 1% missing is going to result in a whipe is very minimal so i wouldnt bother with it.
Treck

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:35 am

Even if you're aiming for that mark and are concerned with that 1%, you do not seem to be factoring in Strength of Earth/Horn/Battle Shout which will close that gap more if you're BR'd. If you have one of those three classes in your set up.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations