Remove Advertisements

What is the proper calculation for CTC?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

What is the proper calculation for CTC?

Postby xstratax » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 am

I used to think I understood CTC in regards to calculating it, but working on my addon has me thoroughly confused now. A poster at Tankspot in my Addon's thread said I was calculating CTC wrong:

"You lose 0.2% chance of any CTC event that is applicable to your character per level difference. In the case of a shield tank... this is 0.6% taken from Dodge, Parry, Block and Miss (those four stats reduced by 0.6% is why you need 2.4% higher than 100%).

Which actually does raise a different concept completely. 102.4% as a target only applies to shield tanks, because you don't suffer the 0.6% reduction in a stat that doesn't apply to your class.

Death Knights need 101.8% because they only lose 0.6% on Dodge, Parry and Miss.
Druids need 101.2% because they only lose 0.6% to Dodge and Miss.

You can not reduce a stat you do not have, 0% is the minimum so the level difference does not reduce combat events you don't have. "

I have no idea if this guy is right, or if he has something wrong. So basically in the case of the macro should it be Dodge + Parry + Block + 5% or 4.4%? I had always heard 4.4 since 5% is not correct when facing a Boss, but if that post is correct then it changes a lot.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Re: What is the proper calculation for CTC?

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:54 am

It has nothing to do with facing. You have a 5% chance to be missed by a level 85 opponent. A boss is level 88, and as a result suppresses 0.6% (0.2% per level of advantage) of your miss chance - ergo, your chance to be missed by a level 88 boss is 5%-0.6%=4.4%. The same happens for dodge, parry, and block.

There are two ways to handle that difference. You could just subtract 0.6% off of the character sheet values (which are calculated for a level 85 attacker) for dodge, miss, parry, and block chance, and then aim to hit 100%. However, the more common method is to simply use the level 85 values and aim for 102.4%, which is 100% + 0.6% (for dodge) + 0.6% (for parry) + 0.6% (for miss) + 0.6% (for block).

The guy is correct about DKs and Druids. However, that point is also basically irrelevant, as it's not possible to stack enough avoidance using the items available in-game to reach those values. In fact, it's mathematically impossible for Druids, as there's no way to increase miss and diminishing returns force Dodge to saturate at a value in the 60% range, if my memory is correct.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby xstratax » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:01 am

Ok, well that changes a lot.

Also does the level difference change the Night Elf racial any or is their Miss chance just 7% (6.4% against bosses)?
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:06 am

It has no effect on the racial, which is just treated as another source of dodge. 7% against an 85 and 6.4% against bosses is correct.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby xstratax » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby Drizzte » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:12 pm

im probably a bit thick from all the blows but. on your char sheet. u then need to have 97 OR the 102
Drizzte

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:01 am

Visibly adding the numbers on your charsheet, it should be 97.4%. Then you can manually add in the 5% miss (which doesn't show on the charsheet) giving you 102.4%.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations