Remove Advertisements

My confidence is gone after returning to wow

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

My confidence is gone after returning to wow

Postby Drunkheifer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:10 pm

Hey guys n gals, I wanted to stop by here and ask you guys about a problem I just had in a cata dungeon. Always felt this community a little less daunting then posting on tankspot or elitist lol.
Background: I tanked on my Pally and DK all through WoTLK had no problems felt i was decent tank for the content that was available to my guild. Past 3 weeks i have been leveling a prot warrior and been decimating 1-80.

Heres his armory link: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/m ... ass/simple

Dont kill me lol i know its a warrior, problem I am having though was with the dungeons not the char. I didnt seem to have a problem with threat even with a 84 mage and 83 hunter in my group and thats never been a issue for me. I have looked for a abrievated quick dungeon guide ie first boss kill the chains run out after, gg. When i read the strats on guide websites i get confused and do much better with just quick direction on what to do.

I went into Blackrock after throwing on my crafted 80 armor and had no problems with threat and I remembered about running out after the chains on the first boss but we never got past that guy on cata release. We wiped once on the second boss and the third boss we wiped twice and the group blamed me and they all left.

TLDR: Sorry for wall of text, Can someone just say something quick about the dungeons like Blackrock first boss tank and spank move out after you kill the chains rinse and repeat. I believe stonecore and blackrock are the only two available to me right now.
Drunkheifer

Re: My confidence is gone after returning to wow

Postby Drunkheifer » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:14 pm

Forgot to mention Redaces posted and i loved the little guide the posted here in the second post:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=32262
Drunkheifer

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:54 pm

You can get some of it from the Normal and 5m heroic sections, but I can give you a summary of those two dungeons, although I am notcertain I recall all differences between heroic and jsut normal.

BRC
1st boss
- dps chains then run away from boss ability
- if adds appear in normal then tank should try to pick them up off of aprty for better AOE

2nd boss
- there are two adds with beams. hopefully there are two people who know how to move in until ~70 stacks, then out until debuff is clear then right back in. If either a player or an add reaches 100 stacks they become a big guy and pawn party member, including the tank.
- The boss does some ability that needs to be interupted (tanks can do this jsut in case party is not familiar). If it is not interupted it can fear someone in a beam and cause a problem.

3rd boss
- Pull him through the fire beam to build up stacks on him. Try to keep it down to just a few stacks per trip, then make certain that even the heal of his foot is out of the beam or he gives off painfull AOE dmg.
- The boss is normally practically immune to dmg, until he gets the fire debuff by being kited thru fire/lava. Each stack of debuff causes him to emite 1 pulse of AOE fire and increases both his dmg taken and his dmg dealt, thus increasing future pulses. Early in the encounter the healer can deal with a fwe pulses, later you should aim for only 1-2 per pass thru a fire/lava source.
- Turn him around and prepare to run back through before stacks expire. If healer is running low on mana or his stacks exceeed 15, then allow them to expire.
- If his stacks expire, adds appear. Tank picks them up, they will probably die to AOE and elave lava puddles which can activate boss' AOE ability, kite boss out of any puddles.

4th boss
- Beauty now only has two little dogs, BOTH aggro on pull - keep at least 1 cc'd for the duration of the fight.
- Any little dog not cc'd must be tanked along with the boss. Little dog's breath lava puddles on tank (don't stand in the lava).
- The big dog breathes fire (usually face away from ther party) and does fear. Recover from fear and pick up boss quickly.

5th boss
- After the helper guy deals with most of the adds, there are like 2 left on normal, 3 on heroic. Kiter pulls and tank taunts active boss off kiter.
- Kiter drags adds around while minimizing stacks. Tank holds boss till it exchanges with an add. Upon exchange, tank picks up boss again (threat wipe) and kiter tries to pick up the add.
- After a couple of exchanges the boss falls over.

Stonecore = fun
1st boss
- Ph 1 = worm will spit out little crystallettes, party AOEs them down or they explode on ppl.
- Ph 2 = worm tunnels = stay outa bad stuff on ground
- also during ph2, small adds appear - try to keep them off the squishies aas they are AOEd down, but keeping out of bad stuff is still the priority.

2nd boss
- Boss will drop lava puddles on ppl = get out of lava
- Boss will go airborne and drop stalactites on ppl = get out of the shadow before they land
- Boss will land and eventually channel shadowstorm or something = LOS behind a pillar. Even the tank, and you may need to get out of melee to be certain. These crystals do like 20k each once or twice per tick, so hide behind the previously dropped stalagtites or feel healer wrath.
- rinse and repeat

3rd boss = extra fun
- Pull boss and face it away from the party, making certain you are stacking some sort of Dot on it. He will reflect the DoT onto you, this is inconsequentiall.
- Boss will start chenneling some sort of ground slam, get kidney side of him or die. Anyone in Ground slam (20ish yards wide, infinite range basically dies).
- Pick up boss and make certain you have room to run, most ppl position in/near mouth of hallway.
- Boss will emote 'break your stuff on my body' About 4 secs after this he will Paralyze everyone (Like Gruul, and the guy in Halls of Stone).
- If you successfully had a DoT reflected onto you,, congrats the dmg will free you from paralysis. Otherwise your options are healer dispel, or a special drink from the bar in Blackrock.
- Right after you are palayzed he will channel and a green circle will appear = RUN out of the circle or take big dmg.
- IMMEDIATELY after this finishes, charge back into him to prevent his moving much. A few seconds later he will do ground slam again so again, face him away from the party and repeat.

4th boss
- She will cast 'Force something' picking up tank and slamming him around, someone other than tank should really be interupting this.
- She will also cast shadow gravity thing on ppl and create a void zone that sucks ppl in and does dmg, hopefully ranged/heals knows to be away from tank as she should NOT cast it on tank.
- She will summon more weak adds that can be kited thru voi zones or just AOEd
- After a while she will put up a protective bubble and go back to her starting place
- She then has a couple rocks (maybe heroic only) that she can throw so stay out of bad stuff on ground till she finishes. Rinse and repeat.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby econ21 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:40 pm

You should also be able to do Throne of Tides (some tactics/abilities may be heroic only):

1) Lady Nar'jar: alternates 2 phases

Tank and spank phase:
- Interrupt her big spell (static shock?)
- Be prepared to back away from white vortex forming on the ground

Add phase:
- When she goes immune in the centre and pick up and kill the 3 adds that appear; arrange before fight to cc one caster (e.g. "mage pls poly left witch")
- Avoid swirling whirlwinds

2) Commander Ulthok
- Slowing kite around the outer edge of the room
- Back off when he casts shadow fissure

3) Erunak Stonespeaker

Phase 1 (Erunak)
- Interrupt lava bolt
- Face away from raid

Phase 2 (Mindbender)
- Move out of poison cloud
- DPS mindcontrolled players to 50%

4) Ozumat

Phase 1:
- Pick up and kite unyielding behemoth while dps kill other adds to end phase (make sure they kill behemoth before getting substantially into phase 2)

Phase 2:
- Pick up and kite all blight beasts: really kite them, don't let them melee you if you can help it; they can be killed in phase 3
- DPS focus fires to kill the sappers and end phase

Phase 3
- Enjoy your superpowers: kill off the blight beasts, pop all survival CDs
- Quickly target the Ozumat in the sea outside the room and burst him down

Note there are some fun trash pulls: I highly recommend CC where possible (although it can be amusing to watch a party butt up against two active murloc healers).

The mass gilgoblin pulls on the way to Erunak can be brutal on heroic (although PUGs tend to skip him as he's optional).

Generally speaking Cata 5 mans tend to avoid "tank and spank": boss fights have mechanics that tanks have to respect unless the party massively outgears them, so finding out these is essential. I think I used wowpedia and maybe WoW insider guides. It's not hard to "gut them" and pick out the kind of key points as RedAces, Hrobertgar and I have done.
econ21

Postby Ironshield » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 am

I did this very thing for myself at the beginning of Cata over on tankadin.com, hope the mods don't mind me linking to a different forum, but it's on this thread.: http://www.tankadin.com/forum/index.php?topic=1525.0

Haven't looked at it in quite a while though. Cata's original dungeons had a lot more mechanics but a lot of them are mostly being powered through now...
Ironshield

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:01 am

Hrobertgar wrote:2nd boss
- there are two adds with beams. hopefully there are two people who know how to move in until ~70 stacks, then out until debuff is clear then right back in. If either a player or an add reaches 100 stacks they become a big guy and pawn party member, including the tank.

I'll admit I haven't run this on heroic in awhile, but there used to be three adds (two is normal) so just be aware of that (usually works best to have ranged grab the beams if you have enough, but you can tank the boss near a couple of the adds so melee can attack the boss and handle a beam, if needed)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Schroom » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:44 am

3) Erunak Stonespeaker

Phase 2 (Mindbender)
- DPS mindcontrolled players to 50%

as an alternative you can also CC the MCed Player for 30 seconds and /dance during that time. after this the MCed player will automatically be freed and the next phase starts.

if only 1 person is alive while he performs this no one is MCed and usually the Boss resets.
Schroom

Postby Drunkheifer » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:36 pm

Wow thank you guys for your responses that was just the kind of info i was hoping to find. I'll be trying some more of the 5 man dungeons here in a few mins with yalls help it should got a lot more easy then it went that first time, thanks :D
Drunkheifer

Postby Staatt » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:48 pm

I struggled quite a bit with the Cata dungeons as well, especially when I hit heroics. They're just so much harder than WotLK dungeons were. That said, because of 'suffering' through the learning curve, I now have no trouble at all being a decent tank in a raiding guild. It's a great on-ramp into raiding from my perspective.
Staatt
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents