Remove Advertisements

Failsafe gearing guide, 4.3

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Failsafe gearing guide, 4.3

Postby yappo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:15 pm

madmessias wrote:What offpiece will you guys use? (Aiming for hit+exp+ctc cap) but obviously prioritizing ctc cap, depending on the fight.

Going for the 4set aswell, and duno what offsec piece i should use.. (Not counting in spine/madness)

Looking at the 397 valor pieces, and given how esay the three new five man and LFR are to complete, I'd say that the valor pieces are overall preferable for a threat set, while the 384 tier-tokens (in as much as you ever win them) will build you your survival set.

As always, keep more than one set ready. I go with three (plus PvP). A threat set (that's really a dps-set with decent tanking stats, because I like to point fingers at lazy dps), a stamina set and a CTC set. The two latter have as close to zero hit/exp as humanly possible.
yappo

Postby Pinupgirl_Madoran » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:24 am

According to my phone's armory app there's a set of heroic 410 capes.

Doesn't say where they come from, but they're listed there in the app.
Pinupgirl_Madoran

Postby yappo » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:12 pm

Pinupgirl_Madoran wrote:According to my phone's armory app there's a set of heroic 410 capes.

I don't know if such exist or not, but in any case it really doesn't matter as far as this guide goes. Anything that requires you to win a drop falls outside the scope of a failsafe guide.
yappo

Postby lythac » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:40 am

yappo wrote:
Pinupgirl_Madoran wrote:According to my phone's armory app there's a set of heroic 410 capes.

I don't know if such exist or not, but in any case it really doesn't matter as far as this guide goes. Anything that requires you to win a drop falls outside the scope of a failsafe guide.

They don't exist, armory has them listed.

Seems wowhead has a filter on now that prevents unobtainable items from showing up in searches, which is why you see it on the armory and not wowhead. You can take the items ID from armory search and use it to make a wowhead link, tah-dah - Indefatigable Greatcloak (410).
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Xylaria » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:05 am

Hi,

I just saw Plans for Unstoppable Destroyer's Legplates on the AH... They look pretty good, except for they have Haste and Mastery on them, instead of Mastery and something else.
I was just wondering if I should still go for it or not.

I'm at work and can't post a wowhead link or anything, but in general, they are:
3,350 armor,
426 str
730 stam
red socket
yellow socket
yellow socket
socket bonus + 30 str
315 haste
264 mastery

ilvl 397

as a sidenote, any idea if i would make profits on the AH when creating these legs? Or are they not interesting for any build?

thanks for the help!
Xylaria

Postby yappo » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:17 am

Xylaria wrote:Hi,

I just saw Plans for Unstoppable Destroyer's Legplates on the AH... They look pretty good, except for they have Haste and Mastery on them, instead of Mastery and something else.
I was just wondering if I should still go for it or not.

Haste is kind of a dead stat as far as tanking is concerned. There are, however, dps-builds for classes which thrive on haste.

I wouldn't recommend these legs (and hence the plans) for tanking purposes unless you're woefully inadequately geared in that slot. As for the AH viability I'm afraid I'm rather clueless. It's a matter of what's available for plate dps out there.
yappo

Postby Valentus » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 pm

This has been a great guide so far. May I suggest for the Waist, add the Beech Green Belt as an option instead of Girdle of the Mountain for those trying to CTC cap. I personally plan on using it with my next batch of JP purchases since mats for the forged belt are too expensive, and plan on reforging the +crit into +dodge.
Valentus

Postby yappo » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Valentus wrote:This has been a great guide so far. May I suggest for the Waist, add the Beech Green Belt as an option instead of Girdle of the Mountain for those trying to CTC cap. I personally plan on using it with my next batch of JP purchases since mats for the forged belt are too expensive, and plan on reforging the +crit into +dodge.

Done.
yappo

Postby Dechion » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:20 am

Thanks much for putting this together.

I'm still in the leveling phase, getting ready to gear up quickly once I hit 85. This has been a great help building my shopping list.

I still need to plug all my choices into ask mr robot to see how all the stats balance out, and how I can reforge once I get there, but I think I can actually have a 365ish item level the same day I hit 85. (I have deep pockets, inscription has been very kind to me. I also plan to use an AV weekend to have 4k JP and 4K honor banked before I even hit 85)

A couple questions if I may. What would you think of the 377 crafted PvP ring along side the Justice Point one, at least as a starting point? How about the crafted 377 PvP shoulders?

I'm just looking at things to hold me over until I get drops, while I'm grinding rep and Valor Points for further upgrades.

edit: My math was bad, I'll be looking at about a 365 I level, not 390ish.
Last edited by Dechion on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a sucess at something I hate. All things being equal though I would rather be a sucess at something I love.

Http://sitv.wordpress.com/
Dechion

Postby Cowmmunion » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:31 am

From the OP: "If you should somehow find yourself with nothing but the 346 shoulders, because, well, RNG actively hates you, then the bloody awful PvP shoulders listed here might be a last resort. They have absolutely nothing tankworthy to them, but the staggering difference in ilevel brings an extra 500 armor, 240 stamina and 200 strength (54 parry rating at the 27% conversion), and you can always reforge into some 100 mastery. This still doesn't make these shoulders any good, but they are better than the 346 anyway."

As far as the ring - I'm a big fan of putting on anything that gets you into heroics/LFR faster. A player who is only half braindead in PvP gear will still be somewhere in the middle of the pack preformance wise. You can also get the 378 DPS ring and reforge that into ~100 mastery just by running the new heroic's quest line.
Cowmmunion

Postby Dechion » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:15 am

After doing a bit more research, I'm leaning towards the PvP shoulders right off, but i'll likely hold off on the ring until I see where my item level ends up. It depends whats in that slot, as well as what trinkets I scrounge up by the time I hit 85.

If I have the Ilevel to get into the new heroics I'll try to grab some guildies and run thru them a time or two.
I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a sucess at something I hate. All things being equal though I would rather be a sucess at something I love.

Dechion

Postby yappo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:01 am

The JP ring is a no-brainer for the starting tank.

Given that you're unlikely to spend more than a day doing Molten Front quests (but DO run a full day's worth of quests there) for 365 gear, the VP ring comes rather high on your shopping list. CTC or avoidance version? Depends on how fast you think you'll gear up in general. If you believe you'll gear up quickly, go for the avoidance version, otherwise CTC.

I'd burn Honor for the shoulders if I was starting up. However, IF you're on a server where either of the 359 BoE tanking shoulders are available from the AH, they're a better pick.

The three new heroics take around 15 minutes each, and you should expect to pad out slots pretty fast from there. Padding out slots doesn't mean you'll get drops you really want. For example, I've personally never even seen the 378 shoulders or shield drop, so I'm sporting he 359 gear I've had for a year in those slots.
yappo

Postby Dechion » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:34 am

I don't know if you'd call it "failsafe" as it would require the right time of the month and a group to help you get it (or being quite good at PvP), but there is a ILevel 365 blue trinket called "Pit Fighter" that is a guarenteed drop from the arena chest in the new Darkmoon Faire. Looks like a pretty decent little Stamina / Mastery trinket.

Runs every three hours (12, 3, 6, 9) for that whole week.

Dechion

Postby yappo » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Dechion wrote:I don't know if you'd call it "failsafe" as it would require the right time of the month and a group to help you get it (or being quite good at PvP), but there is a ILevel 365 blue trinket called "Pit Fighter" that is a guarenteed drop from the arena chest in the new Darkmoon Faire. Looks like a pretty decent little Stamina / Mastery trinket.

Runs every three hours (12, 3, 6, 9) for that whole week.

Hmm, no, not failsafe, but a decent trink nonetheless :D
yappo

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice