[solved]An interesting issue...

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

[solved]An interesting issue...

Postby Arnock » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:59 pm

Ever since I built my current PC last september, I've had an odd issue where, after I turned my computer off, all of the fans and LED's in the case would remain on, but they'd turn off if I just held down the power button for a few seconds.

Now, I'm currently in the process of moving to a new apartment, and after bringing computer into the new apartment, I've run into an issue where, when I try to boot up the computer, all of the fans and LED's come on, but it doesn't seem like the computer itself is turning on, and I'm not really sure what to make of it.

Before I moved the computer, I noticed that it was fairly dusty, so I cleared it out with a can of compressed air. At one point during this process, I think I might have tilted the can too far over and sprayed some of the liquid, but I'm not sure about that. The only other cause I could think of, would be that something was jostled as we were moving things and might have gotten knocked loose, but I've checked and rechecked all of the connections and I can't seem to find anything loose.

So, if anyone might have an idea as to what might be wrong, I'd greatly appreciate any input.

(I'm posting from a work computer atm, I'll give more details about components and whatnot later after I get home.)
Last edited by Arnock on Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Re: An interesting issue...

Postby laterna » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Run through this list for starters

Resit the CMOS battery
Unplug and replug every connection
Unplug your GPU from the PC and try booting up

What I'm thinking mostly, is either some fault with the PSU, I doubt you managed to do damage with the compressed air can to the point where it affects the booting up but not the fans. Most times Fans/LEDs coming on but nothing else is a PSU issue. Try resetting your CMOS just to make sure its not that, but try booting up your device with as little extras as possible. (ideally, mobo/cpu) only on. No fans/gpu/drives etc
laterna

Postby Arnock » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 pm

I tried all of that, nothing worked.

After attempting to boot without the fans, it stopped responding at all, no lights or anything.

Is there a way to check to see if it is a PSU problem if I don't have a voltage meter?
Arnock

Postby laterna » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:48 am

Mostly by checking it on another machine, try to connect your PSU to a friends PC, or his to yours (try his to yours first, better to try a working component first, less risk of your PSU harming his PC)
laterna

Postby Arnock » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:49 pm

So I took my comp over to a friend's place, tried plugging a spare PSU into my comp, and I got no repsonse, he tested both PSU's with a voltage meter, and they both were outputting a solid 12v. After plugging everything back in and resetting the bios again, everything worked and the computer booted right up.

Unfortunately, when I got it back to my apartment, the freaking thing broke again, and resetting the bios didn't work this time around.

>.<
Arnock

Re: [solved]An interesting issue...

Postby Arnock » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:39 pm

So apparently it was my RAM. I tried reseating it several times without success, but on a whim I switched the two sticks' places, and the computer booted up just fine.
Arnock

Return to Tech Stuff