Dodge/Parry

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Dodge/Parry

Postby Masanori » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:20 pm

While we can become 'unhittable' at 102.4%, it's optimal to have higher percentages on dodge/parry over block due to completely mitigating the attack - but you use block to make sure you're at the cap since it scales much better and doesn't suffer from diminishing returns.

Is there an amount of dodge or parry which is considered optimal in terms of avoidance (previously I thought it was to have parry one percent under dodge in 4.2 to accommodate for buffs)? Currently my Paladin is at about 18/18. Is there a point where one of the two diminishes at a slower rate or becomes a more potent avoidance stat? I see many Protection Paladins, for instance Blood Legion's, with a much higher parry value than dodge which makes me curious as to why. :)
Masanori
Maintankadonor

Re: Dodge/Parry

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm almost two points up on parry because I literally can not reforge them into parity. It's just this tier's itemization.

Rule of thumb is that you want them about equal. Bear in mind that Might increases Str (hence parry), and the default feast gives you some dodge.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:53 am

fuzzygeek wrote:I'm almost two points up on parry because I literally can not reforge them into parity. It's just this tier's itemization.

Rule of thumb is that you want them about equal. Bear in mind that Might increases Str (hence parry), and the default feast gives you some dodge.

Kings and Battle Shout*!
Rhiannon

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:39 am

Derp -- brain fart :D Rhia is correct.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby celast » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:51 pm

the big difference between the parry and dodge percentages on the blood legion tank is because he is using his stacking dodge trinket. if you ad another 880 dodge rating they are almost even with a slight advance too dodge when the trinket effect is fully stacked.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/i ... m/advanced

2103 dodge rating (+ 880 rating from trinket) = 2983
2959 parry rating = 2959

so fully buffed they should be almost the same
celast

Postby Pinupgirl_Madoran » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Just wanna chip in here that the current Reforge Lite is balancing my dodge/parry perfectly. If you can do your expertise by hand, or through a separate tool, you can "lock" your expertise/hit items, and then run the addon calculations. Fuzz, you have a few item levels on top of my pally but my stats are perfectly balanced, not sure if it'd work for you but worth a shot.
Pinupgirl_Madoran

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Hmm I suppose I could forge some parry into expertise and expertise into dodge, or the roundabout approach I think will be required to hit 8/24/2s/ds. I'll take a look at Reforge Lite, thanks for the pointer.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations