Remove Advertisements

[10] Ultraxion

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Ultraxion

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:15 pm

I just want to solo tank this for the heck of it. I've pretty much done it before, but not planned. So I figure since fading lights don't go out until after the first hour of twilight I'd have a good threat lead and was just going to have dk taunt off me during hour of twilight and then I'd taunt back and he'd be second on threat below me.

The only time I could ever see a problem with this would be if both me and him got it. Worst case scenario we'll two tank it but it just seems fun to decimate it.

I swear in the beginning of a fight the dudes hit a clothie and if it was a non crit the clothie would live. I'd also try to HoS use small CD on him everytime. actually I'd HoS whatever clothie was second on threat if me and him both got.fading light.

Anyone try solo tanking this?
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Kishandra » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:29 pm

If you have a paladin healer, tell him to put righteous fury on so he'll always be the second person on threat.

If you're good on your fading lights (say, hitting it with about 0.3 sec left), Ultraxion should only melee a secondary target about two times or so out of the dozen fading lights you have to port out for.
Kishandra

Postby Epimer » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:20 pm

On our alt run just now, someone's DK tank is claiming they can't tank this because they've only got IBF and it's not up every time, and that AMS does nothing.

He's talking rubbish, right? Surely DKs have the tools to do this too? Of all tanks, I can't believe they're lacking in cooldowns for this.
Epimer

Postby Ironshield » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:27 pm

Epimer wrote:On our alt run just now, someone's DK tank is claiming they can't tank this because they've only got IBF and it's not up every time, and that AMS does nothing.

He's talking rubbish, right? Surely DKs have the tools to do this too? Of all tanks, I can't believe they're lacking in cooldowns for this.

Yes, he's talking rubbish. I've only tanked this with a DK co-tank and he had no trouble with CDs. Don't know details I'm afraid but he definitely had the tools.
Ironshield

Postby Belloc » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:40 pm

The DK tank in the last PUG I joined claimed that, with his cooldowns, he only took 1 damage from each Hour of Twilight. When the spell was actually cast, I didn't see his bar move at all.

It sounds like your DK isn't aware of all of his cooldowns.
Belloc

Postby econ21 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:41 pm

I had my first look at Ultraxion on 10N (as opposed to LFR) last night. But I was a little confused by a player in the raid who said that the debuffed tank should be the one to soak the Hour of Twilight. I had thought having the tank who is actively tanking soak the hit made more sense, as he has aggro and the healers full attention. I am not even sure what the "debuffed tank" means - the Fading Light lasts only 5-10 seconds and then you die if you are not in the normal world. The player was a little unclear about the reasoning - he thought the debuff provided some damage reduction - but was sure that was the strategy that his guild successfully used. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Maybe if it is like Chimaeron, there might be a logic in having the inactive tank stay in to soak the Hour of Twilight - as they are not the current target of the boss, they are more likely to be at full health and so survive the 300k shadown damage (with the help of a major CD).

Anyone got any advice? We'll be spending tonight (Saturday) learning the fight.
econ21

Postby Belloc » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:37 pm

econ21 wrote:I had my first look at Ultraxion on 10N (as opposed to LFR) last night. But I was a little confused by a player in the raid who said that the debuffed tank should be the one to soak the Hour of Twilight. I had thought having the tank who is actively tanking soak the hit made more sense, as he has aggro and the healers full attention. I am not even sure what the "debuffed tank" means - the Fading Light lasts only 5-10 seconds and then you die if you are not in the normal world. The player was a little unclear about the reasoning - he thought the debuff provided some damage reduction - but was sure that was the strategy that his guild successfully used. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Maybe if it is like Chimaeron, there might be a logic in having the inactive tank stay in to soak the Hour of Twilight - as they are not the current target of the boss, they are more likely to be at full health and so survive the 300k shadown damage (with the help of a major CD).

Anyone got any advice? We'll be spending tonight (Saturday) learning the fight.

It doesn't matter who soaks the hour of twilight, as long as they survive. You could have a rogue tank it with feint, if you wanted to. Healers have plenty of time to top off the soaker, whoever it may be.

There is no damage reduction effect associated with fading light or heroic will.
Belloc

Postby Calleana » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 am

They might possibly have misunderstood "defenders of azeroth" which is the buff that affects both tanks and reduces the cooldown on your tanking cooldowns. Agree with Belloc though it doesn't matter who soaks, in my raid I ended up soaking pretty much every hour of twilight as we found that easiest.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:17 pm

Thanks for clearing that up. On our second run, I tanked with a bear who said he had only one CD, so I ended up trying to take all the Hours of Twilight. On the one attempt I relied on them alone, I found that Ardent Defender and Guardian of Ancient Kings were just short of being enough: maybe I messed up, but they were both on cool down for the third consecutive Hour (only by a few seconds, but still enough to kill me). So I tried Glyph of Divine Protection for the first time and that seemed awesome - it was up for every Hour and seemed powerful enough by itself, leaving me AD and GoAK for their traditional role as reserve "oh sugar buttons".

We did not kill Ultraxion - the main problem was losing people due to them pressing their extra button too late or too early, but I think by the end of the evening, people knew what to do. The next step will be passing the dps test - we'll have to go for only 2 healers, but I understand that will make it very stressy for them at the end.
econ21

Postby Cowmmunion » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:48 pm

I've taken every HoT as a tank on many times in normal, and I can assure you that if rotated, GoAK and AD are up for every hour of twilight. That being said, a glyphed DP is all you need if the healers are on the ball.
Cowmmunion

Postby rodos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 pm

econ21 wrote:We did not kill Ultraxion - the main problem was losing people due to them pressing their extra button too late or too early, but I think by the end of the evening, people knew what to do. The next step will be passing the dps test - we'll have to go for only 2 healers, but I understand that will make it very stressy for them at the end.

Two heals does it for us just fine with a priest and a paladin. I think the priest goes disc and lays down some smite at the beginning when damage is low to help beat the soft enrage later. I (the paladin) take red, priest green, then I switch to blue and go nuts with radiance spam (I feel the priest may be better off with red the whole time, but he likes green and it works). I usually try to burn GAnK and Divine Favour before the blue buff comes out (GAnK does't affect HR, and the extra haste is not really needed with blue buff). I pop wings in the final stages and with the blue buff the healing output is huge - peaking at over 100k hps at about a 380 gear level. Set up a rotation of any raid cooldowns you have (DG, Aura Mastery, PW:Barrier) for those last seconds too.
rodos

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:09 pm

econ21 wrote:On the one attempt I relied on them alone, I found that Ardent Defender and Guardian of Ancient Kings were just short of being enough: maybe I messed up, but they were both on cool down for the third consecutive Hour

DP can be used every time, and Holy Shield has 100% uptime. You can WoG yourself every 10 seconds (pleasant surprise!). I alternate DP+GoAK with DP+AD+WoG plus an avoidance trinket, and it seems to be up every time.
Kelaan

Postby econ21 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Yes, tried it again last night and you can definitely alternate AD and GoAK. I did that and also used glyphed DP. I had not realised there was a change to the WoG CD, but I certainly used it after every Hour of Twilight.

We did not quite have the dps to down him and some were new to the raid, but got pretty close. Two healers and all dps mainspec, and we should be able to do it. Fingers crossed for tonight. I've been wondering about wearing threat gear or trying to solo tank the fight, but I think we probably should learn to walk before trying to run.
econ21

Postby Winkle » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:03 am

econ21 wrote:Yes, tried it again last night and you can definitely alternate AD and GoAK. I did that and also used glyphed DP. I had not realised there was a change to the WoG CD, but I certainly used it after every Hour of Twilight.

We did not quite have the dps to down him and some were new to the raid, but got pretty close. Two healers and all dps mainspec, and we should be able to do it. Fingers crossed for tonight. I've been wondering about wearing threat gear or trying to solo tank the fight, but I think we probably should learn to walk before trying to run.

WoG seems like a waste of DPS, i strive to hit 22k DPS on normal since that seems to be the requirement for tank dps on heroic.
Winkle

Postby Cowmmunion » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:54 am

That depends how you consider things. We one healed Ultrax last night, and I took every Hot with a cooldown + wog. Is that heal coming from an attonement priest that could perhaps do more damage than your SOTR? Is it allowing you to cut down on a healer? Is it saving your healer just a little bit of mana, allowing them to spam an extra AOE to keep the DPS up 2 seconds longer at the end of the fight? When healers are averaging 30k hps and DPS are doing 35k, is replacing a 40k SOTR with a 60k WoG a waste of DPS? Also, considering that 20321 is currently the 200th ranked Prot Paladin on Heroic Ultrax, I question your numbers overall. (22k would be the current #83 parse on WoL).
Cowmmunion

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)