4.3 Item Enhancement Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.2 Item Enhancement Guide

Postby Digren » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:56 am

Skye1013 wrote:Not that this is necessarily a high priority except maybe for threat sets (and maybe it's been mentioned before, I haven't read through the rest of the thread), but under the wrist enchantments, why is the leather enchantment for strength lower on the list than the regular enchantment for strength?

Just something I noticed :)

Yeah, that does look funny, though as you point out no one should get that low on the list except in threat gear. I resorted stuff a little bit. Thanks!
Digren

Postby Digren » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:59 am

Wonton wrote:Great thread. After reading it, I've got a task list about 15 lines long for "fixes" I can make when I get on WoW tonight.

Having said that, I'm looking for some advice concerning gems. I currently have 135K unbuffed health, and my dodge+parry+block is 63.15%. Therefore, if we're to follow the "tank stages" thread, my health is above that of a stage 2 (recommended 130K), while my CTC is far below (recommended 70%). To fix this, should I just stack +40 mastery gems on every single gem socket, regardless of colour? Or is a +20 Parry socket bonus still worth matching for?

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/k ... m/advanced

I see you today at 141k health on the armory, and 75.3% ctc. (dodge + parry + block + 5% miss) So as of right now you're in great shape! Just aim for consistency in gearing by maximizing the value you can get out of each slot. Good luck!
Digren

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:50 am

Digren wrote:Digren says, "Agility's days as a survival stat are over, because it no longer provides armor and provides just 61% as much dodge benefit as dodge rating. I've removed agility gems from consideration. If you don't meet the baseline stamina required for your tank stage, use parry/stamina gems in your high-socket-bonus red slots (if any), or just pure stamina gems. If your stamina is sufficient to survive, use pure mastery gems to minimize damage taken."

Listed under Survival Gems: Red - Even more worthless now as agility doesn't even provide dodge.

And unless you're keeping them as largely sub-optimal threat boosts (or as bear options), can also remove (under enchants):

[Swiftsteel Inscription] : +130 Agility and +25 Mastery Rating : BoP Inscription
[Greater Inscription of Shattered Crystal] : +50 Agility and +25 Mastery Rating : Therazane (Exalted)
[Lesser Inscription of Shattered Crystal] : +30 Agility and +20 Mastery Rating : Therazane (Honored)
[Enchant Cloak - Major Agility] : +22 Agility : Enchanting
[Draconic Embossment - Agility] : +130 Agility : BoP Leatherworking
[Enchant Bracer - Agility] : +50 Agility : Enchanting
[Enchant Boots - Major Agility] : +35 Agility : Enchanting
[Enchant Boots - Assassin's Step] : +25 Agility and +8% Movement Speed

I would put the leg armors on this list, but they do still provide stamina, so have some benefit (and by that token, the agi/mastery shoulder enchants still have some use, but there is no reason to grab them with exponentially better choices from the same vendor at the same rep level.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:15 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Digren wrote:Digren says, "Agility's days as a survival stat are over, because it no longer provides armor and provides just 61% as much dodge benefit as dodge rating. I've removed agility gems from consideration. If you don't meet the baseline stamina required for your tank stage, use parry/stamina gems in your high-socket-bonus red slots (if any), or just pure stamina gems. If your stamina is sufficient to survive, use pure mastery gems to minimize damage taken."

Listed under Survival Gems: Red - Even more worthless now as agility doesn't even provide dodge.

And unless you're keeping them as largely sub-optimal threat boosts (or as bear options), can also remove (under enchants):

[Swiftsteel Inscription] : +130 Agility and +25 Mastery Rating : BoP Inscription
[Greater Inscription of Shattered Crystal] : +50 Agility and +25 Mastery Rating : Therazane (Exalted)
[Lesser Inscription of Shattered Crystal] : +30 Agility and +20 Mastery Rating : Therazane (Honored)
[Enchant Cloak - Major Agility] : +22 Agility : Enchanting
[Draconic Embossment - Agility] : +130 Agility : BoP Leatherworking
[Enchant Bracer - Agility] : +50 Agility : Enchanting
[Enchant Boots - Major Agility] : +35 Agility : Enchanting
[Enchant Boots - Assassin's Step] : +25 Agility and +8% Movement Speed

I would put the leg armors on this list, but they do still provide stamina, so have some benefit (and by that token, the agi/mastery shoulder enchants still have some use, but there is no reason to grab them with exponentially better choices from the same vendor at the same rep level.)

I removed some of these as they were, as you note, 100% useless. Some others I kept because I thought they could be vaguely useful in threat sets if you end up with an otherwise excellent threat piece in a given slot but need to slap a quick enchant upon it. Thanks!
Digren

Re: 4.3 Item Enhancement Guide

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:25 am

Looking over this as you updated it for 4.3, I'm a bit surprised to find the Regal gems so far below the Puissant's given how we're already looking away from mastery in this tier.

What's your math/reasoning for keeping the Puissant's so high on your recommended list?
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:53 am

Fenrìr wrote:Looking over this as you updated it for 4.3, I'm a bit surprised to find the Regal gems so far below the Puissant's given how we're already looking away from mastery in this tier.

What's your math/reasoning for keeping the Puissant's so high on your recommended list?

I think there's a checklist for reasoning out how to invest in gemming.

1. Do you have all the mastery that you need?

2. Are you and your healers satisfied with your health?

3. Do you have a trinket strategy that allows for flexibility as required in the above?

If you answers to all three of the above are an emphatic Yes Already!, then sure, there's no harm in considering pure avoidance as the only remaining method to reduce incoming damage. But in terms of overall selection, I still think each raider needs to go through that checklist of options before settling on the final choice, which in my mind means the other options remain "higher" on the list.

Do note, though, that to an extent anything under the bolded "recommended" gems are only roughly sorted. So much depends on your overall gear, and especially your trinkets, so for more specific advice I suggest the advice thread.
Digren

Postby Smackybear » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:56 pm

Just wanted to add that I think the +20 Shadow resist cloak enchant is the best tank enchant for Dragon Soul. Some of the heaviest damage abilities are shadow damage and that enchant provides an extra 1.5% reduced shadow damage vs 0.15% reduced physical damage from the armor enchant. That's with prismatic elixir (it provides more if you're using a flask instead of elixirs).
Smackybear

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:34 am

Not sure I agree, for several reasons.

1) There aren't that many heavy damage situations where shadow resist is useful. It could be useful for heroic Zon'ozz and Yor'sahj progression, but those are the only two with significant amounts of resistable shadow damage. Zon'ozz still does ~75% melee damage, but the Psychic Drains are resistable and dangerous. Yor'sahj's Void Bolt is dangerous, but only on 25H (it's trivial on 10H, and not worth gearing around - we one-tank the fight in our alt run, with a tank that doesn't even have the BH resist trinket). I know some of the early Yor'sahj progression kills used heavy shadow-resist gearing, but that's significantly less important now with the 5% nerf active.

Note that despite having ~50% shadow damage from Twilight Instability, none of the damage in the Ultraxion encounter is resistable. There's a decent bit of shadow damage in Blackhorn, but none of it is particularly tank-threatening. It's generally phase 2 that you'd be gearing for, in particular Blackhorn's physical damage. There may be some value in the shadow resist enchant for heroic madness (Tetanus, Degenerative Bite), but I can't say first-hand.

2) Note that having 20 extra shadow resist doesn't guarantee you anything, because partial resists are binned in 10% increments - you either resist 0%, 10%, 20%, etc. Adding 20 shadow resistance increases your average resistance amount from 21.22% to 22.90%, around 1.68% (assuming only resistance aura). But it doesn't eliminate the possibility of resisting only 10%, so it doesn't give you an EH-like guaranteed benefit. You'll just see those 10% resists slightly less often (17.75% of the time rather than 21.95% of the time). With the prismatic elixir included, your average resist goes up from 28.25% to 29.64% (1.39% increase), and your chance to resist only 10% drops from 4.38% to 0.90%, almost enough to push you to a new threshold, but not quite. Armor, on the other hand, is guaranteed mitigation for melee attacks.

Should you consider putting Shadow Resist on your cloak if you're progressing on Yor'sahj or Zon'ozz? Sure, there it's an option. For the rest of the bosses though, I'd stick with armor.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Kitmajere » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:29 am

theckhd wrote:There may be some value in the shadow resist enchant for heroic madness (Tetanus, Degenerative Bite), but I can't say first-hand.

This. I switched to shadow resist for solo tanking heroic madness (as well as the spell damage reduction meta) and was quite pleased with the decision. After a decent cooldown rotation is set up for impale, the only other scary parts of the fight with respect to tank damage are high degenerative bite and tetanus stacks.
Kitmajere

Postby Smackybear » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:30 am

theckhd wrote:your chance to resist only 10% drops from 4.38% to 0.90%, almost enough to push you to a new threshold, but not quite. Armor, on the other hand, is guaranteed mitigation for melee attacks.

That actually seems pretty significant to me compared to the benefit of the extra armor. I'm not saying that the benefit is huge but even though the armor mitigation is guaranteed, it's so so tiny. The damage reduction on 250 armor is something like 0.13%.
Smackybear

Postby Schroom » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:45 am

any timeframe known when the 5.0 version comes out? I can't wait for it :)
Schroom

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice