Remove Advertisements

Which trinket combos for Dragon Soul?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Which trinket combos for Dragon Soul?

Postby bomzix » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:27 am

Didicow wrote:...
2. Indomitable Pride (ilvl 397) - 687 Stamina, Proc "Attacks which reduce your health below 50% grant you an absorb shield equal to 50% of the damage done by the attack for 6 sec. This effect cannot trigger more often than once every 60 sec."
Ranking it a close second, but concerned about the proc size depending on HP
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32286
6. Soulshifter Vortex (ilvl 397) - 687 Stamina, Proc 2904 Mastery (Bad trinket is still just bad if you're a paladin tank)

Of the Stamina + proc/use trinkets these 2 seemed th best to me, why is Soulshifter Vortex bad? Or are you assuming full CTC coverage rendering the proc useless?

Thx,
Bomzix
Bomzix
bomzix

Postby TonabShin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:33 am

This trinket is bad because you either rely on it proccing to be full CTC covered, or you use it only for the stamina gain. DS raiders are expected to be CTC covered these days, if not then different trinkets are advised.
Deveaux - Lost Society - Tarren Mill EU
TonabShin

Postby Xarlanther » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:44 am

I still use the Mirror for most fights, it's amazing on fights like Madness and hc Yor'sahj.

I plan to pick up the VP trinket to swap in on fights with alot of physical damage where the dodge clicky can become very useful.

My second trinket is Indomitable Pride, It's a little RNG but it can provide big damage reduction if it procs on Impale from Madness for example.
Xarlanther

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:43 am

The problem I have with dodge clicky trinkets is, say, in the case of the VP trinket, the click gives 15 seconds of 7.94% dodge before DR. You can activate this thing and still eat every single attack for the next fifteen seconds.

The more I think about it, the more I trend towards trying to fit the Stay of Execution back into my normal loadout. I'm attracted by the idea of a trinket that guarantees a temporary 56980 hitpoints on a 2 minute CD.

Reforged it's 0.92% dodge and 1.92% block (2.84 CTC), which certainly isn't amazing, but again, it's the clicky that's attractive. I don't know why this thing didn't get more love when it was current; I think I saw more people running around with the mast/str rep trinket than this.

I tend to think that the Mirror is much more likely to shine in 10M raids than 25M; additional chance to resist magic damage is going to help out a 10m raid much more when healing is more constrained. Or in a 25M that's running healer light to pack in more DPS, I guess.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Fire of the Deep is probably best used for a Dk tank, as is Soulshifter Vortex.

Fire of the Deep.
CD lines right up with Dancing Rune Weapon, giving you somewwere in the neighborhood of 20-22% avoidance buff, and can be macroed together.

Soulshifter Vortex
We don't CTC Cap. and since we can roll our bloodshields, that extra mastery smashing into a DS or two or three is always going to get used. The incoming damage may be... lighter or heavier depending on the fight, but it's still probably better for a DK than another tank.

Given that, I just don't see myself putting my scales of life away anytime soon.
Shoju

Postby golfinguy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:03 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:The problem I have with dodge clicky trinkets is, say, in the case of the VP trinket, the click gives 15 seconds of 7.94% dodge before DR. You can activate this thing and still eat every single attack for the next fifteen seconds.

The more I think about it, the more I trend towards trying to fit the Stay of Execution back into my normal loadout. I'm attracted by the idea of a trinket that guarantees a temporary 56980 hitpoints on a 2 minute CD.

Reforged it's 0.92% dodge and 1.92% block (2.84 CTC), which certainly isn't amazing, but again, it's the clicky that's attractive. I don't know why this thing didn't get more love when it was current; I think I saw more people running around with the mast/str rep trinket than this.

I tend to think that the Mirror is much more likely to shine in 10M raids than 25M; additional chance to resist magic damage is going to help out a 10m raid much more when healing is more constrained. Or in a 25M that's running healer light to pack in more DPS, I guess.

I never used Stay when it was current either, and do not know why as well :oops: I think I needed the mastery that Mirror has and just assumed I should use a stam trinket in the other slot. I did use Mirror all the time as its an excellent trinket for FL, and now that I'm CTC capped without the need for the added mastery of higher ilvl items I'm using it again. I think swapping between the two based upon the fight is probably our best option. I do run 10m so perhaps that is why the Mirror shines more than others notice. And its short cooldown is nice.

The only reason I see to use Fire of the Deep instead of these two would be if the large mastery on it allows you to completely re-gem around stamina. Otherwise I cannot see the mastery being necessary given the better on-use of Stay and Mirror (which has some mastery anyway).

I'm still using heroic Scales in the other slot. I do use the proc, but mostly just in situations where you are topped off then take a big hit (stomp, impale, etc.). Clicky and WoG and I'm out of danger after the hit while the healers are still casting (they seem to think their heal crit when I do this :wink: ). Pride looks to be an upgrade to this slot for me as stam trinkets go. I'll switch when I get it.
golfinguy

Postby Didicow » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:30 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:The more I think about it, the more I trend towards trying to fit the Stay of Execution back into my normal loadout. I'm attracted by the idea of a trinket that guarantees a temporary 56980 hitpoints on a 2 minute CD.

After clearing the Madness of Deathwing fight on 10man normal, I agree that Stay of Execution might be strongest Mastery/Dodge trinket because of On-Use ability, assuming you can maintain CTC with reforging and gemming. I remember a few times during the Madness fight wishing I had one more button I could click and I can only imagine that Heroic modes will have more such "Oh-Crap" moments. I ran Firelands with SoE and a 378 Mastery trinket and loved it for Heroic Domo "burning orb with fire kitties everywhere" phase.

Here is another way to think about Stay of Execution. It's 56980 damage absorb is a version of Divine Protection good for 285k incoming damage.
Didicow

Postby golfinguy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Been thinking about this more and need to ammend my earlier post.

In order to maintain consistent CTC and dodge/parry ratios we will need to either 1) have enough mastery from our gear that we need none from a trinket, or 2) always have a mastery trinket in our set (or a dodge trinket based upon your stats and setup, but that is rather limiting).

If you are in group 1, fantastic. You can use whatever you want whenever you want. Dual stams, just for the on-use, etc. Whatever tickles your fancy. You can stop reading now.

Right now, however, I'm in group 2 - need/want a mastery trinket at all times. And as long as I base my CTC on the mastery Mirror provides I can swap between several mastery trinkets without wasting too much mastery. Not sure how many fall into this category, but I would think it will be many until our gear improves.

- Mirror is still quite useful on a few fights, but not as useful as it was in FL.
- Spindle is my other choice - the absorb idea is really nice, but I do not find it procs much in my logs (2-3 times a fight).
- Fire of the Deep - unless you really need the mastery points I do not see the appeal in its on-use dodge. Lots of dodge or not, its been pointed out already that its still RNG with only 16.6% possible uptime. I let my DK tanking partner have it - generate some goodwill when something I really want drops :wink:
- Essense is good when you want the DPS.

So for me its Mirror if it has a use in the fight (take that psychic drain!), Spindle when Mirror doesn't help, and Essense to help beat an enrage timer. And the more I look at logs and see disappointing Spindle procs I may just run with Essence to see big numbers :P

The other slot right now is heroic Scales, but I'm thinking of using Stay more often. I don't need the dodge and it leaves me without any stam trinket, but the on-use could save more health/healing if used at the right times. I'll upgrade to Pride when the opportunity arrises, but that may be the only 'new' trinket I use - although the uptime on Veil of Lies is interesting.
golfinguy

Postby Lieris » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:52 am

I am using Soulshifter Vortex. The proc is terrible for us but the heroic version has too much stamina to ignore (775).
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Default trinket combo for Dragon Soul: Mirror of Broken Images and Sindragosa's Flawless Fang.

No, I'm not being entirely facetious.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:48 pm

But ... but they said resistance fights were a thing of the past! They promised!

That being said, I'm going to have to dig around and see how much of DS damage is resistable.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:43 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:But ... but they said resistance fights were a thing of the past! They promised!

That being said, I'm going to have to dig around and see how much of DS damage is resistable.

Yor'shaj. Zon'ozz. Not Hagara or Morkchop. That's all the heroics I've gotten down - I wouldn't really expect that Ultraxion will reward Fang use. But it's funny to be using a Wrath trinket and a TB trinket on T13H bosses.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Jeremoot » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:52 pm

Meloree wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:But ... but they said resistance fights were a thing of the past! They promised!

Yor'shaj. Zon'ozz. Not Hagara or Morkchop. That's all the heroics I've gotten down - I wouldn't really expect that Ultraxion will reward Fang use. But it's funny to be using a Wrath trinket and a TB trinket on T13H bosses.

You guys have been a little slower this expansion it seems.

I remember when realm first messages would go off a few weeks after patches and we'd all go, "Hey, look what Edge did!" Or being the only guild on the realm to have a heroic boss down for the entirety of an expansion. [cough]LK[/cough]
Jeremoot

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:19 am

After clearing the Madness of Deathwing fight on 10man normal, I agree that Stay of Execution might be strongest Mastery/Dodge trinket because of On-Use ability, assuming you can maintain CTC with reforging and gemming. I remember a few times during the Madness fight wishing I had one more button I could click and I can only imagine that Heroic modes will have more such "Oh-Crap" moments. I ran Firelands with SoE and a 378 Mastery trinket and loved it for Heroic Domo "burning orb with fire kitties everywhere" phase.

Here is another way to think about Stay of Execution. It's 56980 damage absorb is a version of Divine Protection good for 285k incoming damage.

I support this message. I absolutely love Stay for the reason stated it is divine protection for 285,000 damage that last 30 seconds so you aren't ever wasting it combining it with other CD's either. On top of that the stats are very good. I have always been an avoidance whore and I currently use 2 mastery trinkets with them reforged to avoidance. ( prob have a better reforge option), but I'm sitting right at 102.4 with elixirs/food buff, strength of earth/kings. The second mastery trinket that I'm using is the dodge one love the on use and only 1.5 minute CD!!!

I'm thinking that I will switch that out on use dodge trinket for indomitable pride or TB trinket ( haven't really decided yet). None of these nitpicky things really matter to much until I even pretend to stress over doing a heroic mode. Thinking the only fight I'd want TB trinket for is prob yorsajj. I'd just reforge the avoidance off of stay of execution whenever I use indomitable. Also While I realize tetanus is what does the major damage on Heroic mode I feel like the guy from karate kid when I say this, a monster can't hit he can't stack tetanus. The on use dodge is nice for when your actually solo tanking normal mode and couldn't hurt to use every time you taunted off the tank that gets impale.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:08 am

Meloree wrote:But it's funny to be using a Wrath trinket and a TB trinket on T13H bosses.

I was using TF on adds for h.LK before they nerfed it :D

2Cute2BeStr8 wrote:I absolutely love Stay for the reason stated it is divine protection for 285,000 damage that last 30 seconds so you aren't ever wasting it combining it with other CD's either.

I've always been a big fan of the Stay, and reworked all my gear this morning to replace the h.Scales when some log browsing suggested that I'm really bad about actually using the damn thing. Cost me some stam and some hit, but having another CD seems like a worthwhile tradeoff.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice