Back after a yr off....need advice!!!

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Back after a yr off....need advice!!!

Postby zathani » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:02 pm

I am just coming back to WoW after taking a year off (left before Cata) and am having to learn the game all over again. I am a level 80 Pally Tank fairly well geared from WotLK but I am finding the spells (rotation) I used back then just don't cut it now. If anyone has any good advice on a build to level or rotations to help get to 85 a little easier it sure would be greatly appreciated.
zathani

Re: Back after a yr off....need advice!!!

Postby econ21 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Hi Zathani: you have picked a good time to come back, as the imminent new patch means a gear reset for most level 85s, and means you should be able to catch up fairly painlessly. (I did the same with Wotlk, returning after a year to catch the ICC tier.)

Your best bet is to read the tankadin guide/FAQ by theckhd in the basic training section to get to grips with the rotation. It's quite simple: basically alternate crusader strike with other attacks until you have 3 holy power and then use a finisher (shield of the righteous usually, but inquisition later for dps in some cases and word of glory for self heals if needed). But the FAQ explains it carefully.

On the spec, again theckhd has provided a talents guide (albeit in another sub-forum, the talents one): I would just copy the spec he recommends and uses himself. There's not a lot of choice, to be honest, given that you want to pick up the ultimate talent and many required talents, but he spells out the options.

The initial push from 80 to 81/82 may be tough, as there is a massive bump in gear level from Wotlk quest gear to Cata quest gear but if you have ICC type raid gear, you'll be fine (if not, play safe and maybe buy some AH cata greens). Hyjal is much more convenient to level than Vash'ir and also sets you up for some very useful, if somewhat time intensive, dailies in the Firelands at 85.
econ21

Re: Back after a yr off....need advice!!!

Postby zathani » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:55 am

I have copied the build on the site and looked over the prot guide several times here and on ElitistJerks.com. I have made it to 85 and ran several dungs. but as Ret. I tried tanking and did not do very well at all. On multi mob pulls I am having probs holding all the mobs due to dps pulling them and on the pull sequence in general.

One major problem I'm having is getting my spells set up in my bars and remembering the order in which they should all be cast. As you probably know, most pugs are not very patient with a rusty tank. Is there a simpler pull sequence that accomplishes the required results or is the one listed here the only way?
zathani

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice