[25H] Warlord Zon'ozz

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[25H] Warlord Zon'ozz

Postby celast » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:29 am

I didn't see a thread for this boss yet. So I thought I d give it a go. our main problem now is p2. we are now handling it with signing a group to an area to kill the Flails > Eyes > claws in that order. we now use a dk (UH) in blood presence to tank the second claw and me on the other. We phase change at the 7th mark for now but that may change if we hit p2 for the second time.

How do you guys handle p2? stack up and move as a group? give each area another group? at how many stacks are you phase changing?
celast

Re: [25H] Warlord Zon'ozz

Postby warden » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:06 am

We move as 4 groups with its own healer, each initially going to a flail and the rotating to kill and assigned set of eye stalks/claws. I took screenshots of our mark/movement assignments last night, but haven't uploaded them yet.

Fun fact: the eye stalk cast can be interrupted. Totally not worth it to assign, as it does minimal damage compared to what else is going on, but for people with an off-the-gcd interrupt that are already in the process of killing a stalk, you can mitigate a tad bit of raid damage that way. We speculate their is some kind of lockout reduction (a mage and I were both seeing about 3 seconds), but they're definately interruptable and if you get the cast, it just stands there and does nothing for a couple seconds.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Kishandra » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:41 am

Try to bounce the ball to the boss around 1:15, 2:50, 4:25, and 6:00 - 75 seconds per normal phase, 20 seconds per black phase. It doesn't matter how many stacks you have - as long as you try to stick to those times. Ideally, you can get up to 9 bounces off and hit the boss at 1:15 mark, but this only works if you have 5 mages/spriests who can solo bounce at range.

During black phase, there are 4 flails and 4 groups assigned to kill the flail asap, then melee switch to claws while ranged run around dotting eye stalks. Each group has a healer, and each tank gets one as well. There will be a little bit of cleanup left over when you get back into the main phase but no damage is going out at that moment so whatever.

The timings on those ball hits are pretty precise because they're about five seconds before the next wave of knockback dots go out, and you want to let the ball hit the boss -just- as he enrages so you can burn another 20% of the boss' hp while he's in berserk.
Kishandra

Postby sakkdaddy » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:47 am

We did 9-7-7 bouncing from a consistent, fairly close, distance so that the timings with debuffs would work out well. We ran with 8 healers and just healed through the debuffs, keeping the entire raid stacked up in melee range except for 2 shadow priests and 3 mages who solo bounced orbs back to us at range with dispersion and cauterize to let them survive.

When it was time to let the orb hit the boss, the raid ran through the boss (east) to the tank spot, and the tank rotated the boss facing south. This way the raid stayed stacked up while debuffs were making their last tics, and we used a Druid roar as the orb hit the boss to get everyone to positions for Phase 2.

Phase 2, 4 groups of 2 healers + 4 dps mostly, feral dps druid in bear form on one tentacle and the MT on the other. Everyone zerged down flails asap, then ranged handled eyes while keeping dots up on the boss, and melee went to claws then to the boss.

Bloodlust 20s before enrage, let the orb hit the boss ~0s (5 bounces for us) but before he one-shots the tank, and we had our feral take one claw and a hunter pet on the other, ignoring all other adds while we burned down the boss. We will probably drop to 7 healers for future kills.
sakkdaddy

Postby Valour » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:26 am

We've pulled him a few times now, haven't got a kill yet. Though we've made some changes to strategy and should have a kill soon.

We switched to a singular group for phase 1, and I must say, it's working a lot smoother. Here's how it works:

The tank pulls the boss and faces him away from the raid. The entire raid groups up right behind the boss in melee range.

The tank get's Guardian Spirit and takes the first hit of the orb solo. It then bounces towards the raid (through the boss). We have a ranged player (anybody, doesn't need a special cooldown) standing slightly behind the large raid group, but still close enough to share the orb with everyone.

Basically, the orb bounces between the tank and that ranged player, and it's always shared with the entire raid. We heal through the debuff, no dispells and no running out. The last time the tank gets hit, everyone scatters to their spots for phase 2 (currently splitting up in 2 groups I think), a mage takes the last hit of the orb solo (cauterize->ice block), then the boss gets hit with the orb.

I think we'll have it down this week, our largest problem was the healing in phase 2, it's very intensive, but we've got it mostly sorted. We do the obvious Flails->Eyes->Claws priority. I think melee actually go out to the eyes, instead of focusing only on claws.

Looking forward to hearing from more people who've done it on 25man. Also, please feel free to address any issues in our strat that you think might help out, or ask any questions.
Heroic Boss Kill Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValourWoW
Valour

Postby Pliers » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:46 am

In p2, we have 3 groups - 2 ranged and 1 melee. The melee group splits in half on the first two flails, but moves from eye to eye as a group. We had a 9% wipe to enrage, and swapped two melee to sit on the boss full time (leaving 5 melee to work on tentacles). The eyes barely died any slower, and the boss died with 5-10s to spare.
Ret paladin and occasional offtank for <Edge> US-Garona.
www.twitter.com/pliers1 and www.edgeofgarona.com
Pliers

Postby Showania » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Has anyone tried using the mirror to soak a little of the psychic drain and/or glyph of DP?
Showania

Postby Pliers » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:41 pm

I'm pretty sure it hits for millions. Even shadow priests take significant damage from it through dispersion.
Ret paladin and occasional offtank for <Edge> US-Garona.
www.twitter.com/pliers1 and www.edgeofgarona.com
Pliers

Postby Showania » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:10 pm

Pliers wrote:I'm pretty sure it hits for millions. Even shadow priests take significant damage from it through dispersion.

Lol, I mean for pally tanks :3
It can't hit for millions, I'd die otherwise :x
Showania

Postby Justanoob » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:09 pm

My guild has spent all night working on Heroic Zon'ozz with little improvement. After doing some research, we like and have been trying to follow the Raiding Rainbows strat of having the whole group on his back, healing through the Disrupting Shadows and having select ranged (fire mages/spriests) bounce the ball back. Where we seem to be failing is when we go to spread out to our assigned corners for the black phase. It seems that we get the Disrupting Shadows right as we get to that phase. Should we try to dispell it off those people at that point? Is it a guaranteed death if you have that on you while entering that phase? It seems too much to try to heal through, but I'm just wondering what other guilds are doing. We can't be the only one coming across this situation. We are 7 healing it with a 9/7/7/7 rotation with 3 fire mages and 2 shadowpriests. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Healer perspective videos with vent or commentary would be amazing, too! Thank you in advance, everyone :) Also, does a mortal strike debuff work on him?
Justanoob

Postby Treck » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:36 pm

Pliers wrote:I'm pretty sure it hits for millions. Even shadow priests take significant damage from it through dispersion.

Psychic drain is the "breath" attack the boss has, not the ball.
Treck

Postby Kishandra » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:53 pm

Justanoob wrote:My guild has spent all night working on Heroic Zon'ozz with little improvement. After doing some research, we like and have been trying to follow the Raiding Rainbows strat of having the whole group on his back, healing through the Disrupting Shadows and having select ranged (fire mages/spriests) bounce the ball back. Where we seem to be failing is when we go to spread out to our assigned corners for the black phase. It seems that we get the Disrupting Shadows right as we get to that phase. Should we try to dispell it off those people at that point? Is it a guaranteed death if you have that on you while entering that phase? It seems too much to try to heal through, but I'm just wondering what other guilds are doing. We can't be the only one coming across this situation. We are 7 healing it with a 9/7/7/7 rotation with 3 fire mages and 2 shadowpriests. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Healer perspective videos with vent or commentary would be amazing, too! Thank you in advance, everyone :) Also, does a mortal strike debuff work on him?

Not necessarily a guaranteed death but with the black phase dot, it's a lot of healing required and chances are you'll lose pople. You want to have a timer for when the thing goes out, and make sure to bounce the ball to the boss a few seconds before it does. That's the single most important thing you should worry about in making it through black - to not go in with fresh disrupting shadows.
Kishandra

Postby Boèndal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:32 pm

We managed to kill him last night. Mirror of Broken Images works versus his drain ability and should be up every other. We used 8 heal and bounced 11 7 7 7 in our kill, was pretty close, but we had the best tries with 8 healers so we tried to push it :D Bounces were made by mages und shadowpriests except the very 1st one (those 5 and 1 hunter who was standing out there too).
We dispelled only those dots those 6 guys standing "outside" and our healers dispelled themselves. Fresh dots were dispelled from everyone at the begining of the black phase.
Boèndal

Postby gomashon » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:03 am

For the black phase we had half the range dps and 2 healers go to a raid marker on the left. stand on it and dps everything in range, flails > eyes > rest. once that area is cleared we simply run to another marker, on the other side of the room and repeat the process there.
A similar procedure is done on the right side of the room, with the rest of the range dps and 2 more healers.
You can then put melee to kill either just claws, or some flails and then claws and it is very healable, its all about burst AOE healing with raid cds at the start of the black phase, once 4 adds die the damage is easy to heal. Those flails die really quick so 4 add dead happens quick if they are focused.
In our setup we had 2 tranq/hymm up for each black phase, with at least 1 (or 2) raid cds from the tanks. Add in some aura masteries and other raid cds and nobody will die.
Group Therapy (Ravencrest-EU), 2 raid days per week, 8/8 25-Heroic, always recruiting.
gomashon

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)