Remove Advertisements

Failsafe gearing guide, 4.3

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Failsafe gearing guide, 4.2

Postby econ21 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:54 am

yappo wrote:The main problem I see with the failsafe gear (as listed from PTR-sources), is that it seems to be mostly avoidance/avoidance and avoidance/threat.

That's a good point. I suspect I am close to a maxed out failsafe tank (although I am now actually wearing a couple of Firelands drops) and I am just about block capped (need 2 mastery trinkets for it). I'm almost indifferent now between avoidance/mastery gear and other stuff, so I will pretty much just look at ilevel henceforth. However I still prefer mastery gear for the greater flexibility it gives when re-adjusting to some new piece of loot.

I suspect the implication of what you say is that failsafe tanks, unlike dedicated raiders, will still need to worry about being block capped in 4.3. Which I actually find fun - stacking stamina is such a boring gearing strategy; trying to do it while jiggling block cap (and threat caps maybe in future with active mitigation) is more interesting.
econ21

Postby yappo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:32 am

Gear is listed. I'll see if there are any other sources for failsafe gear (apart from the PvP-items available come next season).
yappo

Postby econ21 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:42 am

yappo wrote:I'll see if there are any other sources for failsafe gear.

Thanks, Yappo. There are new 397 legs and bracers from Blacksmithing.
econ21

Postby yappo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:08 am

Some of the theory sections updated. I'll add crafts and S11 PvP gear later. On my ToDo is also an updated evaluation of what gear the differently ranked tanks have.
yappo

Postby Barathorn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:23 am

Really good work on this thread, well done Yappo.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Failsafe gearing guide, 4.3 (WIP)

Postby yappo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:46 am

Thanks Bara (and welcome back, I guess).

I've added the S11 CP gear. I've also relinked and fixed the S11 conversion from 384 to 390 Honor gear. Added some advice to my links, and I finally caved in and added the disgusting CP shoulders as an option. 57 ilevels worth of scrap metal without a single tanking stat wins in the end, even if I dislike listing an item which screams "BAD TANK".
yappo

Re: Failsafe gearing guide, 4.3 (WIP)

Postby Barathorn » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:39 am

yappo wrote:Thanks Bara (and welcome back, I guess).

I've added the S11 CP gear. I've also relinked and fixed the S11 conversion from 384 to 390 Honor gear. Added some advice to my links, and I finally caved in and added the disgusting CP shoulders as an option. 57 ilevels worth of scrap metal without a single tanking stat wins in the end, even if I dislike listing an item which screams "BAD TANK".

I am just keeping the seat warm for Digren and making sure that people remain civil to each other in this forum :wink: .

Go about your business. Nothing to see here.

I do like your guide though, very nicely done.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Re: Failsafe gearing guide, 4.3

Postby yappo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:40 pm

Releasing this guide as its first finalized 4.3 version. Comment any mistakes I am guilty of.
yappo

Postby lythac » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:07 am

I do not think the int valour cloak should be listed as threat, the loss of str puts it roughly the same DPS as the Honor purchasable cloak in their un-reforged state 348DPS (honour) vs 360DPS (PvP). If you are wearing the int valour cloak likely to be struggling for full CTC so the the hit would be reforged to avoidance anyway putting it on par with a cloak with zero hit/expertise and only 158 str.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby yappo » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:21 am

lythac wrote:I do not think the int valour cloak should be listed as threat, the loss of str puts it roughly the same DPS as the Honor purchasable cloak in their un-reforged state 348DPS (honour) vs 360DPS (PvP). If you are wearing the int valour cloak likely to be struggling for full CTC so the the hit would be reforged to avoidance anyway putting it on par with a cloak with zero hit/expertise and only 158 str.

Good point. I'll redefine it as CTC only.
yappo

Postby Xylaria » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:58 pm

Hi,

i'm really liking this guide, however, i was wondering why for the chest pieces, it says to use the following item from Blacksmithing
ilevel 359, Blacksmithing, Hardened Elementium Hauberk, threat
while there is now: Vicious Pyrium Breastplate, isn't that a better item overall?

Thanks

Xylaria
Xylaria

Postby yappo » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:07 am

Xylaria wrote:Hi,

i'm really liking this guide, however, i was wondering why for the chest pieces, it says to use the following item from Blacksmithing
ilevel 359, Blacksmithing, Hardened Elementium Hauberk, threat
while there is now: Vicious Pyrium Breastplate, isn't that a better item overall?

Thanks

Xylaria

Ah, thanks for reminding me about the crafted PvP gear. I've simply overlooked them. The chest in question is indeed a better overall tanking piece, even though it's still not as good from a threat pont of view. I've added it as a CTC option and added a recommendation that it's a good way to start your gearing career.
yappo

Postby Beeswax » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:47 am

I was curious as to why some of the 4.3 gear was left out of the tables. Like the Iceward Cloak, Shard of Torment, Hand of Morchok, Gavel of Peroth'arn, and Waistplate of the Desecrated Future.
Beeswax

Postby degre » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:57 am

Beeswax wrote:I was curious as to why some of the 4.3 gear was left out of the tables. Like the Iceward Cloak, Shard of Torment, Hand of Morchok, Gavel of Peroth'arn, and Waistplate of the Desecrated Future.

Reading the info would help understanding.

First page, first paragraph.
Section 1: Random ramblings.

First of all I want to thank Digren. First for defining tank levels, and second for graciously allowing me to borrow the graphic items needed to clarify this guide.

The guide is, and will continue to be, aimed at what I'll call third tier tanks. Ie, those of us who play tanks because it's fun, or at least because it's what we do best, but who are nowhere close to being cutting edge tanks. This shouldn't be confused with Digren's tank levels. Those are based on the average quality of gear available to a given tank.

We are, because this is not a levelling gearing-guide, 85, and we're scrambling to get the best gear possible.

For those of you unfamiliar with a failsafe gearing guide, every item listed here has to be a 100% cash out item. Drops are disqualified. Whatever upgrade is listed here you can, and should, get, because if an item listed here is an upgrade compared to what you have, then said item is one that you're guaranteed to get. Hence the 'failsafe'. In reality you WILL get drops, so if the hypothetical tank geared only according to this list is ready to raid, then so should you be, given proper time.

Is called failsafe so that if you can't drop an item you can rely on these to have an upgrade.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby madmessias » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:27 am

What offpiece will you guys use? (Aiming for hit+exp+ctc cap) but obviously prioritizing ctc cap, depending on the fight.

Going for the 4set aswell, and duno what offsec piece i should use.. (Not counting in spine/madness)
madmessias

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice