Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: pew pew laser paladins in space [EVE]

Postby Dapaladin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Man doing some incursions atm pretty crazy stuff
Dapaladin

Postby laterna » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm a bit at a loss at what to do right now in EVE.

I've got enough ISK (or rather, I can get enough ISK) to pretty much do anything/get anything. I can improve on my incursion running by getting a nightmare, but why exactly?

I'm considering getting into industrial stuff, but even that is a bit boring after I found out I have to spend around 100 days of training to actually make anything at a profit...

I've tried fooling around WH's, but without a corp, thats a fail, and I end up just being ganked if I'm solo (I lost another drake today in a C2, Cloak guy came in, scrambled me, and poof. I did make up enough to cover costs before duying though)

I'm not sure if I'd like to try out PVP, especially because I feel at an insane disadvantage to people who have near perfect skills.

Doing missions isn't worth it for me, I make more ISK running incursions anyway...

The only thing I found to be remotely intresting is scanning down sites/anomalies and doing those. However I only ever found up to 3/10 sites in highsec, and I don't have any access to lowsec areas. My lowsec/nullsec experiences are of the "go there and die" sort. I'd like to find some sites to clear out with my CNR, preferably areas with a high enough DED rating, good loot, but without feeling like I'm going to die if I don't pay attention to local/Dscan for half a second

I really don't know what to do. I'm trained enough where I can fly pretty much anything in a few days training

I can fly a charon (freighter) in 3 days training. I can fly any BS in 8days training, I already have all cap related skills to IV or V, got the basic 3 PI skills to IV etc.

Now that I have the ISK to do anything I want, I just don't have something that I want to do...

The only thing I'd be intrested in is fiding a good C5-6 WH corp that pvps too and joining them, but those want you to be a carrier+ pilot or an insanely high skilled non-caldari BS pilot(which I am not)
laterna

Postby Invisusira » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Give PvP a shot. EVE's backbone is PvP. Much like L4s, even lowskill pilots in frigates can make a difference in PvP fleets (even more so, actually). My corp (which you are in) semi-regularly does destroyer/cruiser nullsec roams and battlecruiser gatecamps and it's an absolute blast. Don't be afraid of dying and/or losing your ship (especially if you can afford it!), don't be afraid of low/nullsec - it's a blast!

I should really set up a Maintankadin roam sometime here.
Invisusira

Postby laterna » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Invisusira wrote: My corp (which you are in)

:shock: you don't say!

The problem is I don't seem to get any of these events of lowsec roams, or they simply just mention it in TS which I can't sit and afk in all day.

I actually got excited with the war thinking it would actually be fun times, got a proper T2 Merlin tackler etc, which at my current wallet I can afford to lose 95 times but I didn't get to use it on anything :/

I did try it on 1vs1 frigates with corp members but their guns would just shred me while my missiles would just ouright fail.

I guess thats why I'm not too keen on going into PVP. Also the whole vibe of older players in the main corp treating the newer players like brainless morons kind of ticks me off PVP I guess. Alot of it has to do with posting a fit for something and just getting a "lol thats bad, use my fit or you suck" reply I guess. I can understand having a terribad fit, but I dislike it when I'm just told "thats bad" without an explanation on why/how its bad. Which I guess will translate to a similar reply if I do something wrong in pvp etc.
laterna

Postby aureon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:57 am

@40b: A year or so of trading sounds about right. I'm around 25b myself - i didn't ever hit more than 200k gold in WoW, being a GM and funding half the guild with epics "just 'cause i can" is bad for that.
@PVP: Try some roams, and see if you like them. That's it. I wanted to dive in, but i've got no time during winter :'( I've got three chars incursion-ready and i'm not running either, too.
aureon

Postby Invisusira » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:09 am

Hm, I haven't personally noticed maincorp members acting like that at all. For the most part, they've been very, very helpful; that's kind of the point of the academy. Sure, every now and then one may say something like that, but I'd say that's definitely the exception, not the rule.

Keep an eye on the forums and corp mails, "official" events are usually pretty publicly posted. And yeah, I agree that that war was a disappointment. I was hoping for more, but turned out to just be another one-man corp.

Give it a shot, though, when you can. Gang pvp - be it roams or camps - is a hell of a lot more fun than 1v1, at least for lower-skill pilots like you and me. It's been the most fun I've had in EVE so far, really.

Also, random graphics picture - CNR in 1) classic 2) Trinity 3) Crucible.
Invisusira

Postby Dapaladin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Hey aureon is the tracking and damage difference really worth not being able to shoot longer ranges?

Beam Nightmare
Pulse Nightmare
Dapaladin

Postby Odius » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:49 pm

I've been playing EVE on and off for the last 3-4 years when I'm bored of WoW as well.

My toons are "Raymond Fraser" and "Odius McGee"

I've added the Maintankadin channel on both of them now.
Odius
Maintankadonor

Postby Torakka » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:52 am

Dapaladin wrote:Hey aureon is the tracking and damage difference really worth not being able to shoot longer ranges?

Beam Nightmare
Pulse Nightmare

My experience is, that incursion mobs tend to orbit within 20 km and thus they usually are within multifreq-pulses' optimal. Also, they are pretty damn fast.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... /ezarioth/ -retired, maybe this time for real...
Torakka

Postby laterna » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:13 am

Torakka wrote:
Dapaladin wrote:Hey aureon is the tracking and damage difference really worth not being able to shoot longer ranges?

Beam Nightmare
Pulse Nightmare

My experience is, that incursion mobs tend to orbit within 20 km and thus they usually are within multifreq-pulses' optimal. Also, they are pretty damn fast.

This is true for VG's where you end up hitting against frigates. In assaults and HQ's you need around 50km hitting range as dps, and 150km as sniper
laterna

Postby aureon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:11 am

I'd keep the tach fit for normal dps, you can use Scorch for HQs.
If sniping.. you won't use a NM, i guess.
aureon

Postby Dapaladin » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:27 am

I assume you meant you'd keep the pulse fit for normal DPS. Seeing as beam lasers don't use scorch and are sniper guns.
Dapaladin

Postby aureon » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:37 pm

yeah, sorry. I'm just back from 12 hours of university, and i'm not feeling too well =P
aureon

Postby Jheherrin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:20 am

Nice choice of x-mas goodies from CCP this year.
I'd go for the neural remap if I didnt still have 2 or 3 unused remaps on most of my charachters.
Looks like a nice stack of implants for me then :)
Moonglade EU - Catalyst : Jheherrin,Glowlimn,Caamora
Aggramar EU - The Phoenix Reborn : Kasreyn,Gossamer
Jheherrin

Postby aureon » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:32 am

If not remaps, get the fuel blocks offer and sell them, they're worth ~70m against the 50 of implants (and down for everything else)
aureon

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games