Remove Advertisements

Mastery Cap?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Mastery Cap?

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:14 pm

So my guild is progressing on Heroic Rag and my healers are stating that I'm harder to heal. They mentioned they had heard of a mastery cap which is why people are running only 22-23% mastery.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ser/simple
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... lol/simple

That's my armory and our doo-dads. I'll drop logs after we're done raiding.

EDIT: Also, </3 you Treckie for being in your bs gear when trying to figure stuff out. =p
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Re: Mastery Cap?

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Paladins can reach a point at which more mastery is wasted -- once you hit 102.4%, any mastery on top of that gets wasted since it falls off the bottom of the Combat Table. Other tank classes do not share this limitation.

I honestly don't see anything overtly wrong with your gear setup. I don't know what kind of options you have in your bags, but if I were in your shoes I personally would try to get some more dodge/parry vs block, but that honestly isn't going to make a huge difference. Maybe 6% avoidance vs 6% block would be sizeable on h.Rag, but I could not tell you, myself.

Your damage intake vs the druids should be considerably less spiky -- more smaller hits vs fewer larger hits on the druid. Of course, this also depends on what each of you is doing during the fight itself.

Healer reports are notoriously hard to quantify. Perhaps the logs will be more informative.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Yea, I sit just above the 102.4% mark when raid buffed. I've just been trying to find out what this potential mastery cap is other than the normal 102.4%
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:36 pm

Mastery cap?
If i understand your question right, your asking if there is a point where mastery wont give you any benefit.
The only kind of "cap" there is is the CTC "cap".
If you would to have 0% dodge and 0% parry, you could still stack up enough mastery to get 102.4% CTC by only block (theoretically)

Im sorry im not im my "normal" gear, but honestly my normal gear wouldnt help much as im not block capped in it, the gear i usually use these days are hit and exp capped, but a few percentages missing on CTC cap.
I would obviously not recommend this for progress (block cap would be the very first prio) but id still say you should want as much hit/exp after that point as long as you keep yourself block capped.

Its been very apparent on previous content, aswell as current that dps IS a matter tanks should try to focus on, without sacrificing to much obviously.
And it doesnt seem like thats something that is going to change.
Personally, id throw dodge/parry out the window for hit/exp as long as i can keep myself as CTC cap.
Your healers are never going to notice any kind of differance between you reforging your dodge/parry into expertise,
its way to random, and the very small kind of buff to the roll of the dice for avoiding, will NOT make up for the reliably higher dps you can do.

This is obviously from my own PoV, i wouldnt say it really applies as strongly for guilds progressing it with close to BiS gear months later on, but it still doenst completely go away imo.

Personally, id say go with the 2 trinkets you feel you can do your job with the best, then gem/reforge to reach CTC cap (if your not there allready).
The rest of the gear isnt going to make much noticable differance.
Treck

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:40 pm

No, I was asking if there was some kind of mastery cap in which you don't gain any more benefit from just mastery. I know of the CTC cap, but both of my healers are quite adamant that there's a mastery cap, sort of like a crit cap for dps.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Your healers are wrong; there is no such cap for us. Do they have some kind of cite for where they got this idea?
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Our healers raid with another guild on other characters and their prot paladin said it. It's all hear say but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:54 pm

Pretty sure the healers who have no clue misinterpreted someone saying "mastery cap" (while refering to beeing block capped) as mastery having a cap of its own.
But like i said, even if you had 0% dodge and 0% parry, you could stack mastery to reach 102.4% CTC.
Treck

Postby Fenrìr » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:50 pm

That's what I figured, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a new patch note.

Cheers you two.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby daiceman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:56 am

Honestly your healers were probably talking about CTC cap when they said "mastery cap." A cap would be when you no longer gain any benefit from a stat. So you are capped on mastery when you are at 102.4 CTC.
daiceman

Postby Malona » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Sorry for necroing this thread, but I figured it to be an appropriate place to ask. I'm not entirely sure what constitutes the 102,4% for the CTC cap these days.

Is it dodge+parry+block and 5% miss? Or did we loose those 5% at some point? And does someone maybe have a macro of some sort to see where you're at with the click of a button without having to add the numbers together manually?
Malona

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:52 pm

You are correct -- dodge+parry+block+5%.

Here's the macro:
Code: Select all
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combat table coverage. Currently at: "..string.format("%.2f", GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5))
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Malona » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:13 am

Excellent! Thanks. :)
Malona

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations