4.3 tanking cloaks

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

4.3 tanking cloaks

Postby Rokh » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:19 pm

So there is a caster cloak with 170 mastery + socket... thoughts for tanking?
Rokh

Re: 4.3 tanking cloaks

Postby Koatanga » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:25 pm

The tanking cloak has 127 expertise that can be reforged to mastery if you still need any. This tier it will be very easy to cap mastery.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Jeremoot » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:05 pm

Valor cape is very nice, and significantly better than any caster cape. Optionally, if you want a hit option the heroic Rhyolith cape is a good alternative.
Jeremoot

Postby Rokh » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 pm

I Thought that gearing for CTC then stam was better than dodge/parry? (this is the line of thinking i have stuck with this entire xpac, and ive killed every boss on heroic, so i have to be doing something right.)

I have about 230k hp raid buffed with full CTC because I have 200 or more mastery on every peice and am able to gem almost all 60stam. (minus the peices of course where there is no other option)

so you trade like 200str for 200int, big deal, its the same stam and you get 170 mastery for it.

I guess im alone in my boat, but i will prolly be buying the int cloak :P
Rokh

Postby Koatanga » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:32 pm

Mastery only counts to a certain point. Once your dodge + parry + block + 5% exceeds 102.4%, any additional point of mastery is wasted because it just falls off the combat table.

CTC is excellent, but only to 102.4%. Past that, you don't gain any benefit. It's capped.

And since CTC cap will be fairly easily reachable this xpac, don't waste your points on a cloak that will give you more of what you have too much of.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby degre » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:08 am

Rokh wrote:I Thought that gearing for CTC then stam was better than dodge/parry? (this is the line of thinking i have stuck with this entire xpac, and ive killed every boss on heroic, so i have to be doing something right.)

I have about 230k hp raid buffed with full CTC because I have 200 or more mastery on every peice and am able to gem almost all 60stam. (minus the peices of course where there is no other option)

so you trade like 200str for 200int, big deal, its the same stam and you get 170 mastery for it.

I guess im alone in my boat, but i will prolly be buying the int cloak :P

Ryolith cloak was an exception as it has so much ilvl over the 378 alternative and those two juicy sockets that was no challenge, was better hands down, while in this case the VP tanking one wins over Ryolith has it offers a socket itself (a good one!) and is higher ilvl.

With the casting cloak there's really no comparison, why would you? for Mastery? As stated you already cap mastery, you have need for no more, so it's time to move to avoidance and here the tanking cape wins.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby daishan » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:20 am

I think I'll be getting the new pvp cloak to tide me over untill I've saved up for the vp one.
Just a thought but might the agi cloak from heroic rhoy be bis for us as we start to value stamina more and more?
With it's 2 sockets I believe it would net us an extra 53 stam over the vp one.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:11 am

degre wrote:With the casting cloak there's really no comparison, why would you? for Mastery? As stated you already cap mastery, you have need for no more, so it's time to move to DPS and here the tanking cape wins.

Fixed that for you.
I really dont see much benefit in choosing avoidance stats over hit/exp tbh.
As long as im block capped, id much rather go for hit/exp cap than gaining 5% avoidance.
Trying to buff the RNG doesnt seem as usefull as guaranteeing you do a lot more dmg.
But thats just my take on it.
Treck

Postby degre » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:33 am

Oh, I completely agree with you, I just meant that before stacking more useless mastery I'll simply take the avoidance, but my plans for 4.3 are to go with stamina oriented gems and to improve my overall dps by working on expertise and hit, which paired with a Souldrinker would actually mean that aside improving our DPS we would also be boosting our self healing.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby Rokh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:42 am

No one said anything about going over the cap, dont put words in my mouth.. with adding more mastery on an item, you can add other stuff like double stam trinkets or weapons like souldrinker with no stats.

CTC means 102, not more not less, and getting the cloak will let me replace my beth trinket with a stam trinket, approching 240k raid buffed with full ctc... edited

Direct insults = bad. Critique the comments, not the commenters. - Digren
Rokh

Postby Ventras » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:15 am

So, to conclude:

391 Rhyolith cape or 397 VP cloak?
“In war, victory. In peace, vigilance. In death, sacrifice.”
Ventras

Postby Jeremoot » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:41 am

Ventras wrote:So, to conclude:

Correct.
Jeremoot

Postby Phonic » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:48 am

Personally, I'm sticking with the 391 Rhyolith cloak. The 2 gem sockets are tasty and I'll upgrade my relic and neck first. Cloak can come when I have some free VPs.
Phonic

Postby theckhd » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:48 am

Rokh wrote:No one said anything about going over the cap, dont put words in my mouth.. with adding more mastery on an item, you can add other stuff like double stam trinkets or weapons like souldrinker with no stats.

CTC means 102, not more not less, and getting the cloak will let me replace my beth trinket with a stam trinket, approching 240k raid buffed with full ctc... edited - Digren

So, I'm a tard then? Because I don't find it appealing for a variety of reasons.

You should be easily CTC-capping in DS. We won't need to be seeking mastery out, but instead should be looking at what beneficial secondary stats we can get after capping mastery. That might mean stamina, avoidance, or hit/exp depending on your goals, but it generally won't mean intellect gear.

You'll be able to go dual stam trinkets quite easily with the gear we'll have available, and without having to resort to using intellect pieces. That's ignoring the fact that there's almost no good reason to go with dual stamina trinkets this tier, because one of the stamina trinkets has a 100% useless proc (mastery). You don't get a better mastery->stam conversion ratio via trinkets than you do with gems, so it's generally going to be more effective to shift mastery gems over to stamina.

In addition, the cloak you mentioned isn't a huge difference in CTC. Here's a comparison of the two. Once you consider the STR->Parry conversion, you're trading 260 parry and 77 expertise for 123 mastery and 100 hit. In terms of CTC, you're gaining around 1.4% coverage. That's not game-breaking, and it's certainly not enough to account for an entire mastery->stam trinket trade. It's 109 mastery, or two and a half gems worth, assuming we're even still using mastery gems at that point.

The tanking cloak is also going to be ahead in total damage mitigation, almost by a factor of 2. Also note that the 77 expertise rating and Strength is going to be much better for threat than the Intellect and 100 hit rating is, if that matters to you.

I just don't see the intellect cape as a very compelling option. Yes, it's ahead on CTC by a small margin. But it's not fair to say that margin is completely convertible to an equivalent amount of stamina. That depends on the rest of your gear, and it's entirely possible to be in a situation where you're already gemmed/enchanted for stamina so heavily that you can't take advantage of that extra 1.4%.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Valour » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:55 am

Jeremoot wrote:
Ventras wrote:So, to conclude:

Correct.

lol.

Rohk I see your line of reasoning, and I think everyone else probably does too. But it just doesn't seem sensible in the long run.

You see, right now you might be gaining quite an advantage by boosting your mastery with the INT cloak, but here's the thing: As you start getting loaded up with 397 gear and heroic gear, you're going to have so much mastery that you're going to need to start dumping it off just to avoid going way past CTC cap.

That is, you're going to eventually need to dump mastery and either start loading up on more dodge/parry with its diminishing returns, or take Treckie's advice and start getting some more Exp/Hit to do more DPS.

And it is at that point that you're going to look at your cloak and say "well, I guess I'll start dumping mastery by replacing this cloak."

Go with the 397 VP Tanking cloak, it's a better decision in the long run, even if it means you need to keep using the Beth trinket for a little while longer (Hell, Beth trinket is awesome anyway! :D )
Heroic Boss Kill Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValourWoW
Valour

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice