Tier 13 Protection 4-Piece Bonus

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Tier 13 Protection 4-Piece Bonus

Postby Ventras » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:25 am

Hello,

Is 4-piece Tier 13 worth going for? If the DG bonus is really gamechanging, what slot should we use for off-tier/non-set item?

Thanks,
Ventras
Ventras

Re: Tier 13 Protection 4-Piece Bonus

Postby Schroom » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:48 am

I go for 4 piece bonus and the shoulders as offset item.
Schroom

Postby Era » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:16 am

The 4-piece is indeed very valuable, as there's large amounts of raid-wide damage in Dragon Soul. And the popular off-set piece seems to be shoulders. :)
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby HammU » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:15 am

Especially in heroic modes, all the Tank 4pc Bonuses are going to be very valuable for most encounters.

And ours stands out above the rest, because it's not "stealing" one of our personal cooldowns.
HammU

Postby Treck » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:21 am

I really didnt think id say this, but the 2minutes are really really nice.
However i think we were cheated out of the range, as all the other tank CDs with setbonuses are allready 100yards, slightly to good imo.
Atleast i get to progress on bosses now, since there would be no reason to use a paladin tank over a warrior/druid tank with 4set.
Without the LFR gear, none of them has completed their 4set (as we didnt get them the normalmode gear as they allready had the LFR pieces)
Treck

Postby PsiVen » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:21 am

Shoulders and legs are the only pieces you'd want to consider for offset.

Morchok shoulders with tier legs: pure dodge/parry
Ret tier shoulders with tier legs: dodge/parry/mastery and 1 wasted stat
Spine shoulders with tier legs: dodge/parry/mastery and 1 wasted stat, higher ilvl
Crafted legs with tier shoulders: dodge/parry/mastery with 1 wasted stat, no heroic upgrade.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Phonic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:41 pm

And sadly, the only token I've gotten so far has been shoulders!! :p haha
Phonic

Postby Jaitee » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:54 pm

Treck wrote:However i think we were cheated out of the range, as all the other tank CDs with setbonuses are allready 100yards, slightly to good imo.

not sure what you mean by this the range of all tank 4pc bonuses is 100 yards
Jaitee

Postby Treck » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:36 am

I mean that the others automaticly get a 100yard range, while we have to live with a 30yard range on our aoe CD, sure with the 4set ours are 100yards aswell, but they actually gain a buff, we get a slightly reduced CD on ours that is in many cases worse anyway, especially with its duration.
Not saying the 4set isnt worth it, just saying that compared to the other tank classes, ours is incredibly weak 4set.
There seems to be real reason to choose a paladin over a warrior/druid given all have 4sets.
Yes you get an extra bop, and you the CDs for the different classes are different, but not only in our favor.
Treck

Postby Ulfaran » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:24 am

I wouldn't call it weak, the 30yd range on Divine Guardian is really limited in situations where the raid isn't stacked and we also get 1min off the cooldown.
Also I'd say it's a pretty big deal that our raidwall isn't tied to our personal shieldwall.

As for off-piece, shoulders imo, either H:Morchok or the 403 dps ones.
Ulfaran

Postby Fenris » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:31 pm

Meh...

Our guild got 2 conqueror tokens so far (random is random but 90% of token drops as dk-rogue-mage-druid is so messed up) and i got both...One was for shoulders and i admit i got it by mistake (i messed up and swapped shoulder stats with helm ones in my mind,so i needed it...)

Now i need to find the less-awfull setup to work with (can't drop the shoulders for offset ones...My guild would kill me :lol: ) and i can't decide :?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Didicow » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:11 pm

Fenris wrote:Meh...

Our guild got 2 conqueror tokens so far (random is random but 90% of token drops as dk-rogue-mage-druid is so messed up) and i got both...One was for shoulders and i admit i got it by mistake (i messed up and swapped shoulder stats with helm ones in my mind,so i needed it...)

Now i need to find the less-awfull setup to work with (can't drop the shoulders for offset ones...My guild would kill me :lol: ) and i can't decide :?

If you reforge the Parry to Mastery, then the CTC is still pretty good and you pick up a bunch of Expertise toward your DPS stats.

Not sure about your other gear, but I have one gear set with 2 LFR T13 pieces that I've put together to try and improve my DPS. I think this askmrrobot link works:
http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/09fbe607-62c8-4a92-aad8-1f726e6b38f1

I figure in our 10man team, I usually don't die until DPS starts falling behind on adds or boss enrages or I just screw up massively. In this gear I still get almost complete CTC coverage with better DPS stats (Hit and Expertise). As we recover from the holiday boss and start pushing into heroics I plan on playing around with "DPS" stats to try and push my total damage output
Didicow

Postby econ21 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:33 am

PsiVen wrote:Shoulders and legs are the only pieces you'd want to consider for offset.

Morchok shoulders with tier legs: pure dodge/parry
Ret tier shoulders with tier legs: dodge/parry/mastery and 1 wasted stat
Spine shoulders with tier legs: dodge/parry/mastery and 1 wasted stat, higher ilvl
Crafted legs with tier shoulders: dodge/parry/mastery with 1 wasted stat, no heroic upgrade.

I am starting to think about offset now (just need non-LFR tier shoulders). Forgetting about heroic items and assuming no spine shoulders, I think the crafted legs just edge out the Morchok shoulders:

http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=77 ... 1820.71820

Basically, you with offset legs rather than shoulders get mastery/stamina rather than avoidance. If we assumed 150 stamina = 100 mastery (the gem tradeoff), then its 285 mastery vs 341 avoidance, which is a trade you would make if following the cap CTC/stack stamina gearing strategy. The 174 expertise beats the 37 strength for threat too.
econ21

Postby Treck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:20 am

The t13 shoulders offer a socket more than the morchok shoulders.
And since stamina is what really matters (atleast in the later fights) the tier shoulders outrank morchok shoulders (given you can access them both at the same ilvl)
Spine shoulders are otherwise a good choice aswell (+100mastery +150critt +35sta vs 100parry + 200exp), they are even higher ilvl, problem is getting your hands on them, and i wouldnt go as far as prioritizing them over a dps as the upgrade from t13 shoulders arnt really that big.
Not to mention once you are at the point of the shoulders beeing available to you, you have access to enough gear to block cap you without much effort.

At a 397 ilvl situation, tier shoulders + crafted legs win easily, problem is that morchok is so easy that you likely have access to the shoulders at that stage.
But 397 tier shoulders will net you more stamina than 410 morchok shoulders cuz of that extra socket.
Treck

Postby Treck » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:20 am

The t13 shoulders offer a socket more than the morchok shoulders.
And since stamina is what really matters (atleast in the later fights) the tier shoulders outrank morchok shoulders (given you can access them both at the same ilvl)
Spine shoulders are otherwise a good choice aswell (+100mastery +150critt +35sta vs 100parry + 200exp), they are even higher ilvl, problem is getting your hands on them, and i wouldnt go as far as prioritizing them over a dps as the upgrade from t13 shoulders arnt really that big.
Not to mention once you are at the point of the shoulders beeing available to you, you have access to enough gear to block cap you without much effort.

At a 397 ilvl situation, tier shoulders + crafted legs win easily, problem is that morchok is so easy that you likely have access to the shoulders at that stage.
But 397 tier shoulders will net you more stamina than 410 morchok shoulders cuz of that extra socket.
Treck

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice