Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.3 - Spending Valor Points

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:30 pm

Very interesting. Thank you.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:12 pm

Awyndel wrote:The cloak is the best option for "ctc/stamina ratio". And as long as I am not wearing 2 stamina trinkets and gemming/flasking full stamina I will be looking for more of that. After that point I will prolly get the valor cloak to get more avoidance/dps.

But for the moment it's a very nice upgrade, considering it's free. I am just suggesting that ppl could get the pvp cloak and therefor delay the valor purchase untill they have the other items.

I realise it has no avoidance/threat stats. So your milage may vary depending on your own setup/preference. I am merely stating the numbers I use.

You cannot reforge resilience btw, but the 6 ilvl's are somewhat compensating.

Erm... no... considering as you say, which I forgot, that resilience can't be reforged, the VP cloak actually offers the best option for both CTC and stamina.

I do agree that the PvP one is good to get it in the while as an easy upgrade in the while, but there's really no comparison.

Have no time now to work out exact numbers, but get the VP cloak, shove in a green gem, reforge expertise to mastery and you will see that have more CTC and Stamina.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:56 pm

That being said, the PvP cloak isn't a bad stopgap if your VP income stream is spoken for.

The only problem being that it takes away from the Conq Point income, which must be funneled towards sexy, sexy S11 gear. :D
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:34 pm

By the way, I've seen on WoWhead that there are heroics versions datamined of such items, are we sure there's no plan at all to let upgrade these items sooner or later?
degre

Postby Jeremoot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:41 pm

degre wrote:By the way, I've seen on WoWhead that there are heroics versions datamined of such items, are we sure there's no plan at all to let upgrade these items sooner or later?

With Blizzard, nothing is ever certain. But I will say that in previous patches they've datamined heroic versions of items that never became heroic available.
Jeremoot

Postby degre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Well, we got out of Firelands with a 378 cloak, guess we can get out of Dragon Soul with a 397.
degre

Postby theckhd » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:03 am

fuzzygeek wrote:PS fuck that trinket.

I'm not sure why you're so down on the trinket. It's not that bad, and the clicky is at least still useful at block-cap since it's avoidance. The other options in that slot are the equally weak (and arguably worse) Deathwing dodge trinket, a stam trinket with a useless mastery proc, and previous-tier trinkets. Note that I'm assuming you'll be using the "good" stamina trinket from Dragon Soul. It's just a bad tier for trinkets, I'm afraid.

That said, I probably would save the trinket until last as well. It's not a huge upgrade over the heroic Spidersilk, and I'll probably be aiming to be able to cap using Mirror as my mastery trinket if the on-use turns out to be helpful in heroic modes.

I already bought the relic, since I never upgraded mine in FL. I'll probably get the cloak next, as I prefer the raid drops in several of the categories, and as several others have noted this strategy doesn't "waste" any VP since both of those items can't be replaced. Plus it let me put two of the four epic gems I got into items I won't be replacing, giving them a slightly larger upgrade potential in the short-term (assuming you wouldn't put epic gems in a non-BiS item).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Jeremoot » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:29 am

theckhd wrote:Plus it let me put two of the four epic gems I got into items I won't be replacing

Seriously? Four?

So far my record is a Nightstone, some Jaspers, and even worse-- some Zephyrites.
Jeremoot

Postby theckhd » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:09 am

Yeah. I had terrible luck on my warlock, but Theck picked up blue, red, and 2x purple epic gems from our full clear. Personally, I think the fact that you can get greens and blues is sort of stupid; I'd rather have a guaranteed 1-2 epic gems per clear, just to keep things equitable. But I also think keeping epic gems very limited in quantity is a weird change that doesn't add much to the game, so I'd be just as happy to see them widely available from a greater variety of sources.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:13 am

I like the green gems. My raiders hand them to me and I turn them in for the JC daily and pick up more tokens and patterns without having to buy and/or farm the ore/gems.

I only found one epic red gem so far. Handed it to Invis for his staff.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:44 am

lol! this thread brought me luck, yesterday eve we went to DS, got my first epic gem which is a green one and I've turned it already into a mastery/stamina, guess in the next couple of days I'll be going straight for the cloak :mrgreen:
degre

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:00 am

theckhd wrote:I'm not sure why you're so down on the trinket. It's not that bad, and the clicky is at least still useful at block-cap since it's avoidance.

I'm being a bit melodramatic out of general disgust. It's not that bad, and it's still useful for certain applications. I'm far more likely to run the Indomitable Pride and a 391 Scales of Life this tier -- even though it makes me feel unclean, especially since I've been harsh on people who went dual-stam since, uh, 2007.

I'm currently running the Pride (which the other night proc'ed 52 times) and the dodge proc 5m trinket (with windwalk and this thing up I'm at 24% dodge).

Given all the "this shit will kill you unless you have a major CD running, in which case it will just kill you mostly dead" in the back half of DS, the Pride almost seems required. The shield leeway on Ultra and Tentacle Tanking@MoDerpwing is amazing.

I've called dibs on the next Firestone we see on the staff farming run because I never upgraded a Scale because I was dubious about it -- we had a discussion about it -- but I did save one in the guild bank :D.

I have (or at least used to have) more gold than I know what to do with, so I bought a bunch of gems when they were sub-2 or -1k. I overwrote five of them when I went dual-stam trinkets. ><

It's a shame you can't buy gems for VP.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Cli » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:58 pm

You don't have a Heroic Spindle? That proc dodge trinket is horrible, you would be much better off using spindle and gemming back more stam heavy to bring the mastery down. 391 scales and pride sure ok thats debatable but your current trinket setup is very lackluster imo.

OT, I'm going relic > cape > ?
Cli

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 pm

I have a heroic spindle and I'm sad that it's not going to be part of my usual loadout, because I love that trinket.

I did mention that I am likely going to roll Pride/Scales long term. I want the clicky heal to use after the "hey I'm going to almost kill you now" abilities. I'll probably just start using the Scales now instead of waiting for a Stone. Not sure why I felt constrained by that.

I actually like the flexibility of having full CTC completely independent of trinkets. On farm content I can swap in a hit trinket, or any other comedy trinkets without worrying about being hittable. On special-purpose sets (e.g., 2pc T12 Ret and the like for specific boss fights), I can swap in the spindle and still be capped.

The alt builds are probably less useful this tier than last (e.g., useful/fun for Alys and Rhyo), but it's hard to make that call after a single week in DS pre-heroics.

I may go back to the Spindle in a couple weeks. IMO the Pride is darn near compulsory, but Pride/Spindle leaves no clicky effects, which I also prefer (I used to have the rep trinket as my second trinket).

I went dual-stam as an (expensive) proof of concept, but like I mentioned, I find the flexibility useful.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Phonic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:39 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:I thought the Crystallized Firestones were brilliant. What the hell happened?

It was a great idea in theory... but the drop rates were wayyyy too low. Out of all the months we cleared FL, we saw a total of 6. Tanks took them for Scales and Ring and Firebound Gorget. The other couple went to upgrade some BOE weapons.

All in all, I think they figured that we don't need a heroic version especially since MOP is getting rid of that slot entirely, which I think is about time.
Phonic

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice