Remove Advertisements

Souldrinker vs. Hand of Morchok

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Souldrinker vs. Hand of Morchok

Postby Kihra » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:10 pm

I'm curious what other tanks are thinking regarding Souldrinker (ilvl 403) vs. the Heroic Hand of Morchok (ilvl 410).

http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=77193
http://ptr.wowhead.com/item=78371

I acquired Souldrinker last night on the PTR and have had a chance to play with it. I read elsewhere that it had a 15% chance to proc with no ICD. I could verify in limited testing that it definitely had no ICD, as I would sometimes get doubled heals. 15% felt about right. It seemed like it could proc off Crusader Strike, Shield of the Righteous and normal melee swings, but not Judgement or Avenger's Shield.

To give you an idea of its healing, overall it was not even matching Seal of Insight, and of course the heals were just completely unpredictable. From a healing perspective I found it pretty underwhelming, since I'm fairly convinced the heals would just be lost in the noise in a raid environment.

Then there's Hand of Morchok. We can reforge the crit to avoidance. The weapon DPS is ~50 higher than Souldrinker, and it has a socket whose bonus we don't really care about, so you could throw +60 Stamina into that socket. Aside from doing more DPS and having ~100 more Stamina, the weapon isn't much better than a Heroic Mandible.

I guess I'm trying to answer two questions:

(1) Which of these two weapons will do more DPS?
(2) Which of these two weapons is better for survivability?

One thing I'm not sure about is if the proc can occur even if you miss or are dodged/parried. I *think* it was just tied to swings and not to actual hits, but I could be wrong about that. I'll have to test more extensively to make sure.

Has anyone else had a chance to test this weapon out?
Kihra

Re: Souldrinker vs. Hand of Morchok

Postby Crimsonheart » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:16 pm

you are comparing non heroic vs heroic, obviously we'd take heroic over non heroic imo. I personally think I would use regular hand of morchok over souldrinker though. You can, as you said, reforge your crit to dodge and then if the mastery is taking you over block cap reforge another piece to more dodge in place of mastery.

I wouldnt use a 60stam gem in it id use a 40mastery or debate acually taking the socket bonus (20parry 20 mastery), 10 strength IS more avoidance.
Crimsonheart

Postby Jeremoot » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Crimsonheart wrote:I wouldnt use a 60stam gem in it id use a 40mastery or debate acually taking the socket bonus (20parry 20 mastery), 10 strength IS more avoidance.

You won't be using a 40 mastery gem in it at this gear level. We're going to have more mastery than we know what to do with.
Jeremoot

Postby Kihra » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:31 am

I had a chance to do a full clear of Dragon Soul while using Souldrinker. For DPS it's amazing. It clearly will beat even Heroic Hand of Morchok for DPS. It did quite well with healing as well, e.g., on Spine of Deathwing it was my #2 source of healing received with only 27% overheal.

I think I'm going to use it even over a 410.
Kihra

Postby PsiVen » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:52 am

Souldrinker may be attractive when its proc is valuable, but in my experience these things never proc when you need them most.

Assuming you can perfectly convert the excess mastery, Hand of Morchok 410 results in +302 stam over Souldrinker 410, and +260 stam over Souldrinker 416.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Treck » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:15 am

Souldrinker procc is very disapointing, seems like hand of morchok is the one to go with ;(
Treck

Postby Kihra » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:34 am

Treck wrote:Souldrinker procc is very disapointing, seems like hand of morchok is the one to go with ;(

I disagree.

There are two metrics for comparing 403 Souldrinker to 410 Hand of Morchok. The first is DPS and the second is survivability.

(1) For DPS, 403 Souldrinker clobbers 410 Hand of Morchok. The proc makes up about 6% of your damage, which ends up being over 1k DPS. This more than makes up for the small DPS gain you get from 7 ilvls.

(2) For survivability, I disagree with PsiVen that you can just assume all those lost stats convert to Stamina. I know I already fully gem for Stamina and am still block capped, so I don't have any way of acquiring more short of starting to ignore socket bonuses.

Anyway, even if we do assume that Hand of Morchok ultimately gives you +300 Stamina (I think this is a very flawed assumption but let's run with it), Souldrinker only has to proc *one time* during a death scenario to beat 300 Stamina. One time!

How useful it will be, therefore, will depend on typical death events and how wide the window is. The longer we take to die, the more chance you'll see a Souldrinker proc in your death event.

I do have logs from the PTR if you want to see how it looks. For example here is Ultraxion:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-q ... 585&e=6907

Souldrinker did 5% of my damage, so it's way ahead of Hand of Morchok for damage, and the proc happened 81 times during a 5:22 fight, which averages out to once every 4 seconds. Keep in mind I was even being conservative with Fading Light too, so this kill has gaps where I'm not hitting the boss.

I plan to use 403 Souldrinker over 410 Hand of Morchok. I don't even think it's much of a contest. More damage and better survivability than the 410 Hand.
Kihra

Postby Jaitee » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:08 pm

soul drinker is also affected by damage increasing buffs so on madness of deathwing it should get affected by the aspects buffs i know wings does and so does the buff illidan gives you at the start of well of eternity and best of all the 1000% damage buff on alys is affected healing yourself for 60k+ every few seconds is amazing and it procs alot and can proc of all 3 hits of AS for an instant 18k or so
the best thing about it though is the damage it puts out getting all that free extra dps as one guy said its about 1k dps which over a 300 second fight is about 300k damage and 600k healing
Jaitee

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:26 pm

The lack of an actual tanking weapon this tier makes me sad.

And no, I do not consider a random proc on a weapon that heals me as a tank weapon. Besides, all that I've been reading is that the proc on Souldrinker is very lackluster and the dps (luls@tankdps) that it might do should not be a selling point.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Fenrìr wrote:The lack of an actual tanking weapon this tier makes me sad.

And no, I do not consider a random proc on a weapon that heals me as a tank weapon. Besides, all that I've been reading is that the proc on Souldrinker is very lackluster and the dps (luls@tankdps) that it might do should not be a selling point.

In what way is the proc lackluster? I'm having trouble wrapping my head around why people seem to think the proc is bad. The amount it heals for will just continue to scale as you acquire better and better gear, so its potency increases as you acquire more Stamina. Even in my entry level gear from Firelands, it was healing me for 10k per proc (when shaman had me fully stacked with their +10% health buff).

As I mentioned in my previous post, if Souldrinker procs even one time during a death scenario, it was equivalent to a tremendous amount of Stamina (or bonus Armor if you want to think of it in those terms instead). In many death scenarios, it will proc more than once. I know most of my death events these days are drawn-out affairs and not instagibs, and so I have no doubt that the Souldrinker proc will be very effective.

And yeah, as Jaitee mentioned, just look at how it scales on Madness!

[23:15:57.744] Kihradin Drain Life Kihradin +20990
[23:16:00.192] Kihradin Drain Life Arm Tentacle 9863
[23:16:00.192] Kihradin Drain Life Arm Tentacle 9863
[23:16:00.553] Kihradin Drain Life Kihradin +20909
[23:16:00.553] Kihradin Drain Life Kihradin +8252 (O: 12657)

I just topped myself off there in 3 seconds to the tune of 50k with the proc. :)
Kihra

Postby Treck » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:46 pm

Im not doubting your observation, i just havnt seen those numbers, granted, ive been observing the effects on a warrior tank (as i dont have one myself)
The dmg seems to be a bit more around 3% from what ive seen.
Maybe paladins have a higher procrate or smth?
Altho even with 3% procrate, that basicly means that you heal yourself for 6% of the dmg you do, but procbased isnt very reliable.
In any case, i dont have either, and i dont see myself getting hand of morchock over the dpsers, and going for DW heroic pretty fast anyway, so betting it will be the next weapon anyway, unless the procc is OP for dps?! :P
Treck

Postby Kihra » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Treck wrote:Im not doubting your observation, i just havnt seen those numbers, granted, ive been observing the effects on a warrior tank (as i dont have one myself)

My numbers are from PTR testing, so it's possible they nerfed it. We'll have to see when it goes live.

I haven't done thorough log testing, but I'm pretty sure it procs off a lot of our abilities, and so I would not be surprised if we do gain more benefit from it when compared to warriors.

Anyway here are some other fights from the PTR where I got to test it:

Warmaster Blackhorn: 5.3% of my damage done - http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-qec8d ... 436&e=7727

Spine of Deathwing: 4.8% of my damage done - http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-qec8d ... 41&e=11355

Madness of Deathwing: 6.2% of my damage done - http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-qec8d ... 29&e=13282

Note that even if it was only 3% of your damage, it would still be a DPS upgrade over a 410 Hand.
Kihra

Postby Phonic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:16 pm

I actually like the fact that they are no long putting a specific "tank" weapon with avoidance stats. This is a good precedent for the future and I can see a potential 1H Legendary that both tanks and DPS can use.
Phonic

Postby degre » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:31 pm

Treck wrote:Im not doubting your observation, i just havnt seen those numbers, granted, ive been observing the effects on a warrior tank (as i dont have one myself)
Altho even with 3% procrate, that basicly means that you heal yourself for 6% of the dmg you do, but procbased isnt very reliable.
In any case, i dont have either, and i dont see myself getting hand of morchock over the dpsers, and going for DW heroic pretty fast anyway, so betting it will be the next weapon anyway, unless the procc is OP for dps?! :P

Considering that deals DPS based on your maximum health means that for DPS specs this will be probably be quite a lower portion of the damage.

The weapon was clearly designed thinking about tanks, I mean, does damage based on max health and self heal...

Also, we're ctc capped and the only thing that we can stack are stamina or threat, this weapon give heals. Ok, you can't control it, still, it heals... who you want to give it to?

Also, the weapon has a +50 stamina over the 416 and 100 over the 403, the other numbers have been spawned by PsiVen basing it on the amount of stamina that you could net by using the mastery from the weapon and converting it into stamina, at a 2/3 rate and 137 mastery that's an extra potential 200 stamina. I'll still take the heal.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Treck » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:23 pm

A well geared tank has like, 220k hp?
And a good geared dps has, 160k? so yes, their dps from the procc will be like 30% lower, but even if the procc stands for 4% of your dmg (taken the 6% dmg value) its pretty decent dps from just a weapon procc, not to mention its the highest ilvl weapon out there.
Also, there doesnt seem to be an actual STR based onehander from Deathwing.
Meaning for those, its the same option, Hand of morchok, or thisone?
Sure theres only frost DKs and furywarriors? who could need these, and i think the 2hander from madness is better for both anyway.
But DWing them they might turn out to quite some dmg, since im not sure the 2hander procc is worth 10% dps, but if it is its awesome :P
Treck

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice