[10] Madness of Deathwing

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Phonic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:39 am

Hi, we were having some issues with P2. We'd get to 5% and the raid damage was just crazy and we'd die out pretty quick. My question is do you ignore the 2nd set of Fragment adds? And just let them cast shrapnel during the end? We were trying to switch to them, but I think that was a mistake. Then we thought maybe we'll wait at 7% (so his AOE doesn't get stronger), then kill shrapnel, then burn the boss.

Any advice would help. Do we just group up after the Terrors go down, pop lust, and never stop?

Thanks!
User avatar
Phonic
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 am

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Winkle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:43 am

Can you not just use Yesera's buff again on the 2nd set, it's only got a 30sec CD, isn't off CD for the 2nd spawn? I think the boss should be dieing around this time anyway, switching to DPS the 2nd set will most likely cause a wipe due to excessive raid damage.
Winkle
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Phonic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:10 am

No, i know you don't dps the second set of Terrors. I'm wondering if you dps the second set of Fragments (the small tentacles).
User avatar
Phonic
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 am

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Winkle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:58 am

Phonic wrote:No, i know you don't dps the second set of Terrors. I'm wondering if you dps the second set of Fragments (the small tentacles).


I meant the tentacles. You can ignore them if you use Ysera's buff to cover the shrapnel. A 2nd set of terrors is something you don't really want to see. It's effectively a soft enrage.
Winkle
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Belloc » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:30 am

I'm pretty sure my group killed two sets of adds during Phase 2... why would that be a problem?
User avatar
Belloc
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Silent Earth

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Winkle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:48 am

Belloc wrote:I'm pretty sure my group killed two sets of adds during Phase 2... why would that be a problem?


Well I'm assuming most tanks would have used almost every available CD to survive tetanus, especially if solo tanking.
Winkle
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Kerriodos » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Phonic wrote:Hi, we were having some issues with P2. We'd get to 5% and the raid damage was just crazy and we'd die out pretty quick. My question is do you ignore the 2nd set of Fragment adds? And just let them cast shrapnel during the end? We were trying to switch to them, but I think that was a mistake. Then we thought maybe we'll wait at 7% (so his AOE doesn't get stronger), then kill shrapnel, then burn the boss.

Any advice would help. Do we just group up after the Terrors go down, pop lust, and never stop?

Thanks!


In both my 25 man main run and my 10 man alt run, we stopped DPS around 8-10% and waited for a second set of adds. We killed the tentacles, lusted on the terrors, and carried that lust over to Deathwing, who dropped very quickly following that. The issue is that at 5% the damage goes up so much that having adds up is liable to kill you regardless of cooldowns. Therefore if you can't beat the second set, slow DPS and wait for them, as the 5-10% raid damage is much easier to manage, especially as you will have raid cooldowns for the final 5%.

Also, a bit of advice for conserving tank cooldowns for terrors. Mark one as it comes out, and burn it first. This allows your tanks to taunt swap the second, so they shouldn't need to use every cooldown available on the first set.
User avatar
Kerriodos
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:38 am

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Darielle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:58 pm

So one other thing is that while the Elementium Terrors swing, it looks like they're hardcoded on normal to have a 100% miss/dodge/parry rate on the actual autoattack if I'm seeing it right.

I've seen many, many, many logs and it's just miss/dodge/parry. I wonder how hard they will actually swing for on Heroic.
Darielle
 
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Winkle » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:20 am

Kerriodos wrote:
Phonic wrote:Hi, we were having some issues with P2. We'd get to 5% and the raid damage was just crazy and we'd die out pretty quick. My question is do you ignore the 2nd set of Fragment adds? And just let them cast shrapnel during the end? We were trying to switch to them, but I think that was a mistake. Then we thought maybe we'll wait at 7% (so his AOE doesn't get stronger), then kill shrapnel, then burn the boss.

Any advice would help. Do we just group up after the Terrors go down, pop lust, and never stop?

Thanks!


In both my 25 man main run and my 10 man alt run, we stopped DPS around 8-10% and waited for a second set of adds. We killed the tentacles, lusted on the terrors, and carried that lust over to Deathwing, who dropped very quickly following that. The issue is that at 5% the damage goes up so much that having adds up is liable to kill you regardless of cooldowns. Therefore if you can't beat the second set, slow DPS and wait for them, as the 5-10% raid damage is much easier to manage, especially as you will have raid cooldowns for the final 5%.

Also, a bit of advice for conserving tank cooldowns for terrors. Mark one as it comes out, and burn it first. This allows your tanks to taunt swap the second, so they shouldn't need to use every cooldown available on the first set.


Just seemed easier to solo tank the fight on 10man and assume you wouldn't see a 2nd set of terrors, which we didn't.

If your solo tanking it, your only getting 1 impale, which is about the equivalent amount of DPS you need to only get 1 set f terrors.
Winkle
 
Posts: 592
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby golfinguy » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:34 am

So I've been successfully solo tanking phase 1, but we've yet to reach phase 2. I think its just a DPS thing, we're shaman heavy and ele got quite nerfed I think, and our dk tank's dps offspec isn't as geared as we'd like. However, once overcoming that I'm concerned about phase 2...

Can someone help me with cooldown usage and timing in phase 2? Assuming I'll see a 2nd set of adds based upon our dps, will I be out of oh-shit buttons by then? Do I start calling for external cooldowns, raid cooldowns, etc.?
golfinguy
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:24 am

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Valour » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:49 am

I've only completed this fight in 25man, not 10man yet. We 2 tanked it. DPS was not much of an issue.

Tanking phase 1 was a complete joke. I alternated Guardian/Ardent Defender between platforms for Impale, and otherwise everything went very smoothly.

Phase 2 is the trickier phase for tanking, only because those elementium terrors start to do a LOT of damage after they've been hitting you for a few. I did not use the BH trinket, although I'm considering it because it's shadow damage.



For those who are having issues with raid damage, here's what we did (after we wiped around 2% due to ridiculous raid damage):

Phase 2 starts, get on Deathwing.
Tentacles spawn, kill them. Terrors spawn pretty much right after, all DPS on them too.
Burn deathwing down to 11% (Don't hit 10%!!!). We do this because he starts doing more raid damage at 15, 10, and 5%.
New wave of tentacles spawn, kill them. New terrors spawn. *heroism* Kill them.
Kill Deathwing.

It's worth noting that we actually didnt kill the 2nd set of terrors, we tanked them and the DPS went all out on Deathwing... but it took too long and both of us tanks died. We got the kill doing that, but just barely. Next week we're going to try burning the terrors.

golfinguy wrote:Can someone help me with cooldown usage and timing in phase 2? Assuming I'll see a 2nd set of adds based upon our dps, will I be out of oh-shit buttons by then? Do I start calling for external cooldowns, raid cooldowns, etc.?


You'll have Dream up and hopefully 1-2 other cooldowns, but yes at least for us 2-tanking in 25man, we definitely had to call out for guardian spirit, pain supression, etc.

Like I said above, we actually died on the 2nd set of terrors. They are just terrible in 25man. I think next week we're going to get a little more creative with dealing with them, maybe pop BH trinket, use heroism to burn the 2nd set, etc.

Also I didn't know that I could use my Divine Shield macro to reset stacks, though from reading this forum it seems that's possible. Good to know!!!
Image
Image
Heroic Boss Kill Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ValourWoW
User avatar
Valour
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:53 am

It occured to me after doing it Ysera-Noz-Alex-Kalec on the LFR version that Kalecgos provides the 20% damage buff; in our raid last week we did Ysera-Noz-Kalec-Alex. What are the thoughts on red versus blue last? One means you don't have to stop halfway through killing the arm to kill tentacles, but the other means 20% more damage on the Mutated Corruption and on the arm itself.

I can see having 20% more damage on the tentacle as really easing the dps check there, but does the raid damage from the tentacles and the lower max health put a lot of pressure on healers in that last phase?
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 6846
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Belloc » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:13 am

We kill Alexstrazsa second and the tentacles never seemed to be a problem. Keep in mind that they die really fast. In fact, I usually kill one by myself, as a tank, in about 5 seconds or so.

I would not want to lose Kalec's buff.
User avatar
Belloc
 
Posts: 3195
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:56 pm
Location: Silent Earth

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby baleogthefierce » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:15 am

Belloc wrote:We kill Alexstrazsa second and the tentacles never seemed to be a problem. Keep in mind that they die really fast. In fact, I usually kill one by myself, as a tank, in about 5 seconds or so.

I would not want to lose Kalec's buff.


This, we were able to reach p2 doing either Alex or Kalec last, but saving Kalec for last is much easier.
baleogthefierce
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:44 am
Location: Farming Molten Core for my Eye

Re: [10] Madness of Deathwing

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:21 am

KysenMurrin wrote:It occured to me after doing it Ysera-Noz-Alex-Kalec on the LFR version that Kalecgos provides the 20% damage buff; in our raid last week we did Ysera-Noz-Kalec-Alex. What are the thoughts on red versus blue last? One means you don't have to stop halfway through killing the arm to kill tentacles, but the other means 20% more damage on the Mutated Corruption and on the arm itself.

I can see having 20% more damage on the tentacle as really easing the dps check there, but does the raid damage from the tentacles and the lower max health put a lot of pressure on healers in that last phase?


Switched to doing Alex third in the other groups I killed it with last week.
Rhiannon
 
Posts: 1061
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:17 am

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests