Remove Advertisements

[10] Warmaster Ship

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Warmaster Ship

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:10 pm

We worked on this one tonight for a short while.

In 10m at least the Twilight Sappers ARE stunnable with Hammer of Justice. I made a macro
/tar Twilight Sap
/cast Hammer of Justice

It successfully targeted and stunned them even while in sneak/stealth. I don't know if it is the same in 25m, or if its just that Pally stuns rock :) The Sappers sneak towards the main 'boathouse' and if they make it inside it is like 20% ship dmg, so they must be killed off.

We are making some progress with the overall encounter, but in like 4 pulls we did not quite get to the boss phase. The little swirlies can be dangerous if you try to eat too many of them by yourself too quickly. Its good to sacrifice some of your own health to protect the ship, but its not so good to die, and leave the rest of your raid shorthanded for onslaught.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Re: [10] Warmaster Ship

Postby Tebin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:34 pm

I'd be interested on some pointers on this fight too. We've tried 3 healing it, but it just takes far too long and the ship ends up blown to smithereens. A few close attempts, but we're just short. That said, people seemed to get lazy when we had 3 healers and didn't really dodge things they should've been dodging.

At phase 2 it gets messy pretty fast. Are people stacking up to control the shockwaves/shadow circle things?
Tebin

Postby Finkum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:43 pm

We (average 380 - 385ish iLevel raid) tried both 2- and 3-healing but settled on 3-healing as much safer. If your tanks plonk the melee adds on one edge of the ship, next to a harpoon, you can cleave both adds and a dragon, speeding up the first phase and reducing the number of small purple swirleys. As a tank it's quite possible to be pulling 17 - 19k DPS when both melee adds are up, which helps make up the DPS shortfall from 3-healing.

Additionally, 3 healers allow DPS to be fairly proactive about jumping into small swirleys; with only 2, healers would often get behind and either a tank or a DPS would fall over.

Phase 2 is really straightforward as long as you have everyone alive. Park the boss somewhere in the middle and get everyone to spread out around him, with ranged > 10 yards but as close as they can be otherwise (to minimise time strafing out of Shockwave). Tank damage was pretty scary toward the end of the fight, especially if he'd melee + shout in quick succession, so I'd highly recommend 3-healing plus a cooldown rotation for when the boss drops below 40ish percent.
Finkum

Postby Phonic » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:57 am

We had about 6 attempts into him (mostly into P2) before we decided to add a 3rd healer. While this makes P1 more dicey, it's definitely better for P2. Since we lost a ranged, we switched our mages from splitting drakes to both burning down one side before the other. This way, there's less barrages to soak.

As for P2 strategy, We parked the boss near one side of the stairs where the sappers are usually dropped. The melee would stand behind and the ranged and healers would stand near the edge of the ship where the dragon is. That way if he shockwaves a melee, the ranged don't have to move and vice versa. Two tanks are definitely suggested for that phase as towards the end, you need chained CDs to survive the increased damage.
Phonic

Postby Epimer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:54 am

Just for a contrasting perspective, we took 13 (!) attempts to kill it and the two most successful ones - including the kill - were with two healers rather than three.

It wasn't a clean kill; we lost our only legendary-wielding caster a little over halfway, another DPS towards the end, and I (tanking) died 30 seconds before the kill. But I think we generally struggle with DPS checks, particularly those which involve target switching or focusing on other things, so having an extra DPS for P1 was a big help.

We had the tanks hop into the big purple swirly things and otherwise tanked the two adds as close to a drake as possible. I'm not sure that helped an enormous amount given that nearly all of the damage the drakes took was from single target spells from the ranged rather than any cleaves. While our earlier attempts had the ship blow up with alarming frequency, on the kill attempt we entered P2 with the ship health at 38%; more soakers for the purple swirly things and people finally not being terrible with Sappers was a big help.

P2 we just spread out in roughly a circle and killed him, albeit a bit messily.
Epimer

Postby Rokh » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:48 pm

My group had alot of DPS issues on this fight, we struggled for about 2 hours to get into p2. We attributed it to the melee trying to get to purple circles and not killing the adds fast enough so I came up with this neat strat.

We still used 2 tanks, but have each tank get both adds alone.

I picked up the 1st 2, then the other tank picked up the 2nd set of 2.

Also bring the groups to the edge of the boat so they are near the drakes.

this opens up the 2nd tank to run around and soak purple crap, and we got a kill 2-3 attempts after switching to this strat.
Rokh

Postby Finkum » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:01 pm

We actually started off with Rokh's strat (each tank takes turns to tank both adds, current free tank soaks swirlies) but the free tank can't always move fast enough soak all of the small swirlies and, more importantly, we would slowly fall behind the DPS check.

I'd say it's better for groups struggling to make the p1 DPS check to have 1 add per tank and cleave - but if for some reason you are failing at Sappers but have no DPS issues, then Rokh's strat makes sense.
Finkum

Postby Hrobertgar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:45 pm

My experience with ph1 was that focus down the 'elite' helped a ton. Dpsing the dragons if you have skilled ranged = ez. When the dragons fly over the deck they are targetable, and can be DoT'd up. The main risk in ph1 is the swirlies, followed by the sappers. For the little swirlies, soloing one can be iffy, sometimes you get 1-shotted. And of course you need almost everyone in an onslaught. If you get onslaught and Sapper at the same time, this can be an issue.

What we did was drop a Hunter trap in front of the door to the boathouse, and have a tank kite a big add over it, thus the slow effect is active whenever the Sapper appears. Also, as I indicated earlier, a targetting macro + stun effect WILL get him, once he leaves his red obscuring cloud. Be warned, last week at least we DID sometimes get a last sapper to land right AFTER ph2 started, we did kill him easily enough, but unless it was hotfixed its something to be aware of.

For ph2, obviously nuke the dragon first. As soon as he is down, almost everyone stack in a clear area on the boss' ass. We had like 2? ranged elsewhere, and the boss consistently picked our mage. We had not intended that mechanic, we simply thought it would be easier to escape the boss' ability from melee range than from farther out where it is bigger. The mage was able to easily escape every time, and we pawned him at that point.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Winkle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:50 am

People have had the boat blow up? We ignored sappers and just soaked the swirly explosions and the ship was at like 35% when the boss jumped down.

Obviously having more ranged than melee is preferable but we 1 shot this fight with little thought on tactics other than a rough spread of the raid across the platform.

(And no we're not pro, we wiped to click fails on ultraxion like 10x).
Winkle

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:16 am

Yeah, we had the ship blow up a lot, seemed like it was mostly just letting too many of the small bombs hit without soaking, though we did have some where it was sappers getting through.

Your soaking and your dps must have been good to ignore sappers and get through at 35%, though that just might come from having more ranged killing the drakes faster. Won't be able to ignore them on Heroic, because you have unavoidable damage from Goriona to the ship (Broadside, takes off 20% health and can't be soaked).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Winkle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:56 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Yeah, we had the ship blow up a lot, seemed like it was mostly just letting too many of the small bombs hit without soaking, though we did have some where it was sappers getting through.

Your soaking and your dps must have been good to ignore sappers and get through at 35%, though that just might come from having more ranged killing the drakes faster. Won't be able to ignore them on Heroic, because you have unavoidable damage from Goriona to the ship (Broadside, takes off 20% health and can't be soaked).

Hmm good to know.

I think we were quite effective at soaking the small bombs.

Any idea how many broadsides need soaking?
Winkle

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:45 am

It's more about how long you're taking in the phase and how much damage you let through, Broadside just appears to add a time limit to heroic mode which gets shorter if you're not good at soaking. (Ie, minimal bombs and no sappers = you can take 4 broadsides; any sappers get through and you can cut one off that number for each.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby oldboyz » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:13 am

almost P1 down, still some work to avoid ship destruction

regarding ours first rules :
1-each tank near a harpoon (to help dps multi/fast switch to drag)
2-tank alternate add taunt (1st wave : i take the one with the helm while the un-helm is taunt by the other tank, next wave i take th un-helm, 3th wave i pick the helm. While my fellow other tank do the contrary : our way to not stack the debuff)
3-tanks go in the large purple swirleys (but i think we took a cleave last time on top of the AOE dommage), so i don't know if it is a good idea (while tank not go on previous try = 2 of our healeur went very low life, then one targeted by a charge = death)
4-our 2 cac on saper
5-ship split in 4 area with assigned peoples to manage the little swirleys

funny fight, look like bethilac learning progression : P1 look like vietnam at first, then when right priorities are done, easier and easier
oldboyz

Postby Calleana » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:55 am

We had some tries focusing down the dread blade (the elite with a cleave) then ranged switched to dragons. This meant everyone could go in big swirls and left a tank to help on sappers. Seemed to be going pretty well so hopefully we'l get a kill tonight.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Tebin » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:11 am

We're a little iffy on this, but had it done twice now so we feel it's a confirmed fight.
We've chosen to go with 3 healers. YMMV, but we found that we could keep everyone topped up during p1, which meant they could soak things better, and p2 gets a bit dicey healing-wise towards the end (although yes, more DPS = shorter fight).

For p1 we have 3 ranged on dragons, with 1 swapping off of them after first one is dead (of each set). All DPS prio the sapper, with a DK deathgrip +/- shockwave/HoJ to stop it moving.

We've done it with 2 warriors, a holy pala, disc priest and resto shaman, so we always had some DR CD for big swirlies. All the damage in p1 is avoidable, so DPS should be playing smart. Those with personal DR CDs like barkskin and antimagic shield can solo soak a small swirly with no trouble.

P2, BL at start, range pile on the drake. melee chill on dps, since the harder you hit the boss the harder he hits back. Also be aware that he seems to start swinging before he even lands, so all non-tanks should be at the building on the ship, with the tanks up near where thrall and the drakes are (but still on the main deck).

Also be aware that that last sneaky sapper can blow up the ship even in p2. So, make sure he dies.

All in all though, really fun fight; a welcome change from the lolfaceroll that the first 4 bosses are.
Tebin

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)