NORMAL BM - how do you do it w/o OOM?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

NORMAL BM - how do you do it w/o OOM?

Postby kalbear » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:32 pm

I tried a normal BM run for the first time tanking and it went really badly. No one died - we all overgeared the place - but I couldn't keep aggro because I was running out of mana left and right and couldn't drink between pulls. That meant adds running rampant and kind of chaos on the healer. I went to my threat/grinding set but it wasn't any good; I still couldn't keep my mana high enough between pulls.

What do people do to manage this? Just drink and let the portal boss chill out for a while? And what have you found to be the better positioning of the consecrate for picking up the adds?
kalbear

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 pm

technically..I don't. I open the fight with AS + JoW then SoR + Holy Shield, Consecration Rank 1 to grab adds and take more damage. usualy tho after the rift guy dies, i let dps handle the adds and stop midway to the portal to drink. There's usually enough time for you to eat manna biscuits from 30% to 90%-100% with the first wave of adds barely spawning. Mana Tap is my friend here.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Annabelle » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:38 pm

The problem when being overgeared as a tankadin means you aren't getting healed much and not getting mana back. I have a spell damage set for normal 70 instances. including the khorium set and use the lichen shield with a spike. I have less armor, more mana, and do more damage and take more damage so I get healed and I can spam max consecrate all through the fight. Then drink til full, you wont be too low sonce you were getting healed. I always top off then run to the next rift guy. If you dont have any lower lvl spell damage gear you can swap some pieces for healing plate if you picked any up for off healing situations as that will give a larger mana pool and increase spell damage and increase the damage against you.
Keep your friends close and your curly fries even closer.
Annabelle

Postby Taoden » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:51 pm

When I run BM I keep blessing of wisdom on myself. For each portal I pull with max rank AS then immediately judge wisdom and cast SoR. I use JoR whenever it is up and cast rank 4 consecration whenever an add spawns to draw their attention. I don't keep aggro on most of the adds and I don't try to. I just use it to slow them down and let a ranged DPS (usually a mage) handle them from there.

My aggro is fairly weak for these fights but it's not as bad as it would be if I was out of mana and for most PUGs, the DPS won't get aggro anyway. If I do run low, I drink as much as possible between pulls and try to be at or near 100% before each boss.
Taoden

Postby kalbear » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:09 pm

Thanks. I was feeling lame because I couldn't reasonably aggro all the adds, but it sounds like that's not always possible. Switching to the spelldamage gear for the non-bosses is probably the right choice.

I got really pissed off at myself for that too.
kalbear

Postby Metrodin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:38 pm

Could be worse.

Over Xmas I was running BM on an Alliance Shaman alt and we had a fledgling Tankadin.

He was still mostly in mixed recoloured valor/lightforge gear and was using the quest reward mace from the Durn the Hungerer quest in Nagrand (1.60 mace with ap and stam).
I noticed that he couldn't have had more than 40 or so spell damage across all of his gear.

I tried to help him out by dropping WoA, but on the first attempt we wiped on the second portal (seriously) because he just couldnt hold aggro.
Second attempt we wiped on the normal mobs while clearing them before starting the event.

That was too much for the rest of the group and we disbanded. I did direct him here for info before we went our separate ways though.
Metrodin

Postby Ahms » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:59 pm

I use my PvP set now to tank the trash portals, then switch over to my real tank gear just for the bosses. It helps a ton with mana since you have a lot more of it in the first place, and you're now taking enough damage to make the heals count for you but not so much damage that your healer is going crazy. You can still AoE tank it all fine too :) Maybe that could help you out

For add positioning, you should memorize the route the adds take to goto Medivh from each portal. Then just position yourself there and consecrate away
Paid by the Alliance
To slay all the giants

-Ahms of Mannoroth

Art - http://ahms.deviantart.com/
Ahms

Postby Metrodin » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:11 pm

My personal hate: the caster rift bosses that run behind the portal when you aggro them. Makes it a little trickier to grab add aggro ;p
Metrodin

Postby Athon » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:14 am

I have to say that I don't like BM too much as a pally. Too much worrying about mana. I've switched to using Blessing of Wisdom here.

I don't use AS at all, except for the big bosses. I drink after every mini-boss, then ride to the next boss (crusader aura ftw), full rank consecrate, judgement of righteousness. After that I use rank 1 consecrate to gather adds. I don't try to keep aggro on them, but at least they won't be walking to Medivh before the guy handling adds has finished the previous adds.

I use my old shield here (Netherwing one), so I have less armor and will take a bit more damage and get healed more.
Athon

Postby Damnazion » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:41 am

My best advice is to use rank 1 consecrate to grab adds passing by and cast wisdom on boss as you attack. Drink fast!
Damnazion-Blood Elf Tankadin-Llane
"Curator will be tanking ME!"

http://damnazion.blogspot.com/
Damnazion

Postby Worldie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:48 am

Consecration rank 1-4 depending in mana, JoW on elites, make sure to aggro every add for additional damage.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Boudi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:16 am

for the record:
if you're running OOM and the mobs go after your healers, either one of these options(and perhaps more) apply:
A) you're only causing threat on 1 target
B) DPS doesn't hit any of the targets
C) you're teaming with 4 healers
D) you're just standing there doing /flex (/flex generates 10TPS true story)

i hope everybody has already mentioned that you shouldn't forget Righteous Fury, Blessing of Wisdom, you can drop your pants, degrade gear for more blockrating and less avoidance + blockvalue, buy bigger drinks, get a shadow priest, beg your DPS to go all out, judge seal of wisdom, team with a mage for AI, get Intellect Scrolls, Draenic Wisdom , Mastery, mana refund like potions............and whatever else i missed.
Tanked: KZ(nightbane left), Nalorakk
Boudi

Postby Vanifae » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:22 am

I generally go spell damage heavy in easier heroic dungeons and normal instances, and tend to downrank and rarely open with AS unless I have a surplus of mana.

Usually just a Judgment.

But Black Morass is definitely a mana drain, I usually run with Blessing of Wisdom instead of Kings and I tend to downrank my consecrates.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Minn » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:06 am

If you use ItemRack or something similar, there's a trick you can do to steal a little mana from your healer. Switch from tank gear to healing gear, then back. When your healer patches you up, free mana! It helps when the rest of the group has plenty of mana and doesn't feel like watching you drink between waves.
Minn

Postby Eanin » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:34 pm

I just judge wisdom on the mini-bosses. That seems to do the trick, even in my tank gear. Also, use rank 1 consecrate and even rank 1 holy shield if you have to. Use blessing of wisdom.
Eanin

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics