Remove Advertisements

Problem with Chess Event

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Problem with Chess Event

Postby Ubung » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:17 am

Edit: Just so other people know it was the pet bar being under the rest of my bars that was causing the problem. Did chess this week no problems. A lot of fun after serious tanking.

----------------------------------------------

Ok I was main tanking in Kara last night when we got to the chess event. This was my first time at the chess event so the guys explained things for me. Ill list what I did from here:

1. Right clicked on selected character and took control
2. Battle starts and people start moving
3. I press forward, back, left and right and nothing happens
4. I try spamming randomn buttons and nothing
5. I see some actions on my spell bar are lit but clicking on them causes the game to say "Cannot cast spells when silenced".
6. Everyone else proceeds to fight and win with me stood still

I dont get what happened. Someone said you would get an extra bar like a pet bar that you could use to control chess but I didnt see anything. Half way through the fight someone said the controls had moved to your action bar but none of that worked either so I got confused. I do use bongo's to rearrange my UI, could that be it? I dont wanna be useless next time we hit chess (even though I plainly wasnt actually needed in the end).
Last edited by Ubung on Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
nerf scissors, buff paper, rock is fine!

Ubung

Postby Invisusira » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:48 am

I have not done Kara since 2.3, but yes. Before that, you would get a pet bar. If it has moved to your action bar, it'll still be similar.

To move your piece, you click the move icon (a little foot) and the click the space you want to go to. Most pieces can only move one space at a time (think actual chess). To turn a different direction, you click the "change facing" button - it's a little blue face. Then click the square you want to face.

If there is an enemy in front of you, you will automatically start attacking. Click the other buttons for your special attacks (which vary depending on piece).

And yes, Bongo may mess with it. Dunno for sure tho.

And don't feel bad, a guild on our server (well, ex-guild... RIP Warriorz, NEVER FORGET) actually WIPED on chess. Not lost. Wiped.
Invisusira

Postby Warrender » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:00 am

It may be possible you disabled your pet bar. Just enable it again to see it.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Zhalseran » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:51 am

I've been told that the buttons pop up somewhere weird now, some sort of "possession bar", but they popped up on my pet bar as always using Bartender
Zhalseran

Postby Dorvan » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:03 am

The pet bar replaces your normal action bar in Chess now. Really confused me for a second last night :P
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Ubung » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:45 am

Thanks for the info guys Ill look into where my pet bar is at. I couldnt even see any little feet or blue faces so it must be bongo's.

How exaclty do you wipe on chess? You only control the peices right? Did they try to take them on by themselves?
nerf scissors, buff paper, rock is fine!

Ubung

Postby Mouse » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:48 am

I havew had similar issues depending on my bar mod, but I must say the topic "problem with Chess" was a bit amusing before I clicked on it. :P
Qapla <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 Tank DK

EnsgnBlack <Attrition> Cho'Gall
80 BE Prot Pally
Mouse

Postby Shuv » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:19 am

When using Bongos, your my pet bar and stance bar (auras) were always on top of each other...not sure why, if it is defaulted that way or if I changed it to do that, but you might try moving the aura bar up a little bit to see if there is a pet bar underneath it.
Shuv

Postby elsydeon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:16 pm

its still the pet bar

you have to move the pawns out of the way (which is about the the only connection to real chess other than the king this event has)
to all impatient mages, locks, and hunters: you pull it, you tank it
elsydeon

Postby Invisusira » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Invisusira

Postby Wakeman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:44 pm

Some of you guys probably haven't done Kara for quite some time.....

There is NO pet bar anymore during chess event since 2.3. Instead, all your default action bar buttons are replaced by the chess piece action buttons. I find this a slight improvement as you can now use hotkey 1-4 to perform the action, instead of clicking the button with mouse. (Maybe no different if you are a clicker all along. ;) )

I suggest the OP to control a Pawn first just to get familiar with the buttons. Hit "1" and a circle appears under your mouse pointer. Left click on the square in front of your unit will make it to move to that square. Hit "2" and mouse left click on an adjacent direction to change the facing of your unit. Button 3 and 4 are unit abilities. You can read their description.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby elsydeon » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:33 pm

did it yesterday and bongos puts on the pet bar for my paly

maybe its an action bar with the default interface
to all impatient mages, locks, and hunters: you pull it, you tank it
elsydeon

Postby Zeels » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:22 am

Using bartender3 I get pet bar.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Warrender » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:37 am

It only replaces the action bars if you don't use any action bar mods.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Katatonia » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:05 am

The old Bongos is broken with chess event (and anything else that uses a pet bar post-2.3). Bongos2 works fine, as does Bartender 3.
Katatonia

Next

Return to Karazhan