Remove Advertisements

Am I (stat/gearwise) ready for FL?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Am I (stat/gearwise) ready for FL?

Postby indirect » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:20 pm

I've recently returned to my Prot pala after 4.3. I'd started gearing him to tank right before FL hit and completely lost interest in him as my progress on my dps characters were at a point where I just didn't care to tank for our alt run.

I know the mechanics to all of the fights, and I'm knowledgeable as far as mechanics when it comes to prot tanking. I've always just been a little on stats for prot palas.

So what it comes down to is are my stats up for going 7/7 barring I have a average to decently average group (having to PUG now as no one wants to alt run FL)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/A ... t/advanced
indirect

Re: Am I (stat/gearwise) ready for FL?

Postby Jeremoot » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Spec 1: No wrath of the lightbringer, no reckoning, yet two points into Eternal Glory. Spec 2: No Reckoning or RoL yet two points into Eternal Glory. Darkmoon: Earthquake, and Veil of Lies.

Nope, you're not ready. Read the stickies in this forum as well as Basic Training. Fix your spec, and find some more appropriate trinkets. Then you're ready.
Jeremoot

Postby indirect » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:01 am

Jeremoot wrote:Spec 1: No wrath of the lightbringer, no reckoning, yet two points into Eternal Glory. Spec 2: No Reckoning or RoL yet two points into Eternal Glory. Darkmoon: Earthquake, and Veil of Lies.

Nope, you're not ready. Read the stickies in this forum as well as Basic Training. Fix your spec, and find some more appropriate trinkets. Then you're ready.

I'm sorry what is wrong with Veil of Lies? I'm working on the VP to replace DMC. I don't know if in your infinite wisdom that you forgot there is a VP cap on heroics. Clearly I'm not raiding atm, else you forgot the point of the thread. I have Eternal Glory as I'm doing heroics to gear, I don't know the last time you did a heroic, but clearly in your elitist state you don't have to deal with awful healers, it has saved my life countless times. I have 3 points in RoL, the fuck you smoking?
Oh and reckoning, lmfao... find me a competent tank with more than 1 point in it.

Also, where did I ask for your advice on my spec? Oh yeah, not in the Gear discussion forum.
indirect

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:27 am

In the gear I see in your armory you are at 85% CTC, with a target of 102.4%. Your d/p are very high, but your block is startling low for your gear level. It's probably due to the odd amalgamation of gear. You might consider a fine gem in your red slots instead of the yellow and purple I see there now.

You may also look into reforging more mastery where you can -- legs, trinket, relic.

I don't know what the issue is with the Veil either; I'm wearing it myself.

You might also consider the block meta gem. If you are blocking more often than you are getting hit, the block is better than the armor.

Your gear is sufficient for normal FL, assuming a competent group. You'll be more the carried than the carrier for a bit, tho. You'll be spiky, but manageable.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby indirect » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:29 am

fuzzygeek wrote:In the gear I see in your armory you are at 85% CTC, with a target of 102.4%. Your d/p are very high, but your block is startling low for your gear level. It's probably due to the odd amalgamation of gear. You might consider a fine gem in your red slots instead of the yellow and purple I see there now.

You may also look into reforging more mastery where you can -- legs, trinket, relic.

I don't know what the issue is with the Veil either; I'm wearing it myself.

You might also consider the block meta gem. If you are blocking more often than you are getting hit, the block is better than the armor.

Your gear is sufficient for normal FL, assuming a competent group. You'll be more the carried than the carrier for a bit, tho. You'll be spiky, but manageable.

Thanks for a deeper post. I was thinking my block felt a little low. I've been using a CTC calculator I found for excel (too lazy to do math + I was an English major, hurr.) After reforging I'm up to nearly 88% CTC, and I'm assuming that won't go up from anything short of better / different gear.

Now here is the pickle I foresee myself being in quite soon. Once I switch DMC for Fire of the Deep I will be losing 1.29% dodge. I currently have a decent amount of dodge reforged into mastery as I was well over 18% dodge pre-reforging. With the switch (before undoing any reforge) this puts me at 14.56 mastery [2661] and 14.49 [1875] / 15.92 [2214] dodge/parry. So the issue I see here is, while the extra mastery is great... I'm losing so much dodge in return. ((I know this wouldn't be an issue for some, but as you said... I have quite the odd amalgam of gear.)) This being said, sorry for the length, would put me at 92.11% CTC [pre-reforge] with 55.75% block with the 14.49 / 15.92 parry for a rough 2% difference between Dodge/Parry. Once I make this switch, what should I be looking at to consolidate those two with? Dropping a reforge or two for a slight hit to Mastery, or just roughing it out until my gear is more thoroughly matched?
indirect

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:38 am

indirect wrote:I have Eternal Glory as I'm doing heroics to gear, I don't know the last time you did a heroic, but clearly in your elitist state you don't have to deal with awful healers, it has saved my life countless times.

Eternal Glory has no effect on your survival, because of the cooldown on Word of Glory. Since that change EG is purely a damage/threat talent. I can't look at your armory myself right now due to work filter, but his point I think was that you've taken a weak threat talent (EG) over much stronger threat options (WotL, Reckoning).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby indirect » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:56 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
indirect wrote:I have Eternal Glory as I'm doing heroics to gear, I don't know the last time you did a heroic, but clearly in your elitist state you don't have to deal with awful healers, it has saved my life countless times.

Eternal Glory has no effect on your survival, because of the cooldown on Word of Glory. Since that change EG is purely a damage/threat talent. I can't look at your armory myself right now due to work filter, but his point I think was that you've taken a weak threat talent (EG) over much stronger threat options (WotL, Reckoning).

I had reckoning (1pt) and swapped EG for WotL. I had forgotten about the cooldown change from 4.1.
indirect

Postby degre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:51 am

I think about the trinkets he means that, being low on CTC, you might want to go with two mastery trinkets instead of a dodge and a stamina one, unfortunately they all require some effort and the only easily obtainable one that comes to mind is the caster's JP one which has mastery and on use SP.

Also, while is true that you are not raiding, 5men are not the only solution, many of us farmed Baradin Hold for the reputation trinkets and especially the tank one with the res on use is stupidly good, situational, but in those moments unbeatable.
BH was suggested to me when I was in your position and I have personally found it to be a safe sure way to get up to speed, as it might take a while, but if you do your dailies regularly you WILL get your trinkets.

I would also change the gems on chest, boots and gloves.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby indirect » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:48 am

degre wrote:I think about the trinkets he means that, being low on CTC, you might want to go with two mastery trinkets instead of a dodge and a stamina one, unfortunately they all require some effort and the only easily obtainable one that comes to mind is the caster's JP one which has mastery and on use SP.

Also, while is true that you are not raiding, 5men are not the only solution, many of us farmed Baradin Hold for the reputation trinkets and especially the tank one with the res on use is stupidly good, situational, but in those moments unbeatable.
BH was suggested to me when I was in your position and I have personally found it to be a safe sure way to get up to speed, as it might take a while, but if you do your dailies regularly you WILL get your trinkets.

I would also change the gems on chest, boots and gloves.

What gems would you recommend changing them to? I know I need to farm the BH rep, but I've been putting it off for so long just by being lazy haha xD I already had to do the grind on two other characters and just never wanted to do another 10 dailies on a third character heh. I guess in retrospect I really should have done them anyway.
indirect

Postby degre » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:19 am

Socket bonus are all good, so you want to gem for those, but considering that you are still behind in CTC you need mastery too, hence the best choice you have (in my opinion) is to match the socket colour with a mastery gem, hence going full mastery on yellows, orange on reds with a parry/mastery and green on blue with a mastery/stamina.

As for BH that is really your choice, I've only brought it up, your call deciding if is worth investing the time. I would probably skip it myself if only an alt, but if tanking is becoming your primary business is worth the effort.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Jeremoot » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:29 am

Ignore the insulting of Veil of Lies, I was thinking of a different trinket. Not used to these new ones yet.

indirect wrote:Clearly I'm not raiding atm, else you forgot the point of the thread.

You asked if you were ready for a raid.

How did a threat talent save your life, exactly?

indirect wrote:I have 3 points in RoL, the fuck you smoking?
Oh and reckoning, lmfao... find me a competent tank with more than 1 point in it.

Yesterday when I opened your armory you had two prot specs. The first didn't have WotL or Reckoning and the second did not have Reckoning or RoL. My point bringing that up was because Eternal Glory, Reckoning, RoL, and WotL are all threat talents. Guess which one is the weakest? Eternal Glory. Wrath of the Lightbringer is the strongest, guess which is second? Reckoning.

indirect wrote:Also, where did I ask for your advice on my spec? Oh yeah, not in the Gear discussion forum.

Nope, but when you're missing mandatory talents (See: Wrath of the Lightbringer), you're not ready for raiding.
Jeremoot

Postby indirect » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:06 am

Jeremoot wrote:Ignore the insulting of Veil of Lies, I was thinking of a different trinket. Not used to these new ones yet.

indirect wrote:Clearly I'm not raiding atm, else you forgot the point of the thread.

You asked if you were ready for a raid.

How did a threat talent save your life, exactly?

indirect wrote:I have 3 points in RoL, the fuck you smoking?

Yesterday when I opened your armory you had two prot specs. The first didn't have WotL or Reckoning and the second did not have Reckoning or RoL. My point bringing that up was because Eternal Glory, Reckoning, RoL, and WotL are all threat talents. Guess which one is the weakest? Eternal Glory. Wrath of the Lightbringer is the strongest, guess which is second? Reckoning.

indirect wrote:Also, where did I ask for your advice on my spec? Oh yeah, not in the Gear discussion forum.

Nope, but when you're missing mandatory talents (See: Wrath of the Lightbringer), you're not ready for raiding.

You can take your misplaced elitism elsewhere. I had RoL and 1pt in reckoning in my main spec. I assure you the off-spec was clearly a spec that I did not use. I believe it was something like 2/31/8. I was actually laughing when you mentioned that though so I took a screenshot of my spec from before just because I knew you'd bring it up. (Silly, but a old e-habbit) As I mentioned earlier in the thread I forgot 4.1 added a 20s CD to WoG

Baseline? You're a hypocritical elitist, and I have no more time for you. Good day.
indirect

Postby indirect » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:07 am

degre wrote:Socket bonus are all good, so you want to gem for those, but considering that you are still behind in CTC you need mastery too, hence the best choice you have (in my opinion) is to match the socket colour with a mastery gem, hence going full mastery on yellows, orange on reds with a parry/mastery and green on blue with a mastery/stamina.

As for BH that is really your choice, I've only brought it up, your call deciding if is worth investing the time. I would probably skip it myself if only an alt, but if tanking is becoming your primary business is worth the effort.

Yeah I'll start doing them today. I've lost interest in my lock and hunter and I intend to make this my main.
indirect

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:16 am

Wow, you're freaking rude. You asked people if you're ready for raiding... they try to help you and shoot back some snide remarks. Don't ask for help if you aren't prepared for people to look at the whole picture.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby indirect » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:17 am

Nikachelle wrote:Wow, you're freaking rude. You asked people if you're ready for raiding... they try to help you and shoot back some snide remarks. Don't ask for help if you aren't prepared for people to look at the whole picture.

No, I was rude BACK to one person who was an asshole. If you read the thread I took all of the CONSTRUCTIVE criticism very well. Don't be one of those guys.
indirect

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice