Remove Advertisements

Using ret tier for tanking

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Using ret tier for tanking

Postby Scottiedoesknow » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:01 pm

first time posting, but I visit religiously for the terrific theory and good math.

I was wondering, if you had ever considered the T13 Ret shoulders for tanking as a viable option (ofc haste reforged to dodge)

T13 ret: two gem slots / mastery / haste
T13 prot: two gem slots / parry / expertise
397 offset: one gem slot / dodge / parry

Just thought I'd throw that out there because I was considering it just looking at stats/gem slots alone.
Although, I'm unsure how the stat values add up min/maxed compared to the other two choices.

Thanks for any feedback!
Scottiedoesknow

Re: Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

Postby Jkdc » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Not just shoulders, but one interesting point may be that we could start to consider using 2 piece ret. Especially since block cap is so easily reachable now.

I think the shoulders and legs would be the best choices. If we judge ~30 times in a 5 minute fight I think it's fair to say that's a considerable amount of holy power. It would come in very handy on fights like Madness where the tanks are DPSing for just as long if not more frequently than they are tanking. The filler holy power would allow us to keep inquistion up for more of our SoTR hits.

Maybe someone will have to do the math on it. :!:
Jkdc

Re: Theck's MATLAB thread - Cataclysm/4.x

Postby Jeremoot » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:22 pm

Jkdc wrote:Maybe someone will have to do the math on it. :!:

I theck I know just the guy.

I'm more interested in seeing what effect the 2pc ret has on our rotation.
Jeremoot

Re: Using ret tier for tanking

Postby theckhd » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:48 pm

This discussion doesn't belong in AT&C, so I'm moving it to a more appropriate forum.

I don't think there's any point in prioritizing Ret tier pieces with high mastery just for the mastery. We'll be block-capping with ease in normal-mode DS gear. The only compelling reason to pick up ret tier would be for the 2-piece, which is a DPS choice rather than a survivability choice.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Jkdc » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:14 pm

So really, if our block cap is so easy to achieve, and assuming HMs don't push our health pool too much then would there be any reason not to go with the double 2 set?

Assume that 2pc ret is only a few hundred DPS upgrade. IF we're at a point where we decide to be gemming almost entirely stamina then the ret pieces are a minuscule loss in terms of CTC. So then (pardon all the assumptions) the only reason to get 4 piece PROT would be for the set bonus. Based on a full clear of normal DS and some quick reading through the dungeon journal I can't find any obvious reason that a 70 yard 60 second increase would be game changing. In fact, it seems to me (still assuming) that the DPS increase (if any) would be more beneficial to the raid.
Jkdc

Postby Zalaria » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:28 am

You're more likely to want the prot 4-piece over the ret 2-piece for hardmodes, since there's so much raid damage going around in DS fights.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Awyndel » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:18 pm

Im using ret 2 piece for tanking atm, and I'm loving it. It's good dps and more freedom in hp use.

The pieces are also good for blocking capping, since you will be able to gem/trinket more health.

On normal im prolly gonna get 2x2. On heroic I will probably have 2x2 and 4set prot for deathwing.

But then again, things might change. I'm keeping options open.
Awyndel

Postby PsiVen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:40 am

In terms of maximizing EH at the slight cost of avoidance, the DPS shoulders from Spine look very attractive. But after seeing the raid damage in DS, I think the 4pc is a must-have even though much of the set is subpar.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:03 am

Even though most of the T13 set is subpar, it's still not difficult to block cap wearing two stamina trinkets. I feel dirty and gross, but I did it before I picked up the chest (which is well itemized) and shield last night.

If you can pick up the hat and chest, that'll go a long way toward making up for the other pieces (I even like the pants quite a lot, especially as we start bumping our heads at the ceiling.

The amount of raid damage in the latter half of DS is nontrivial. Elementium bolt says, "hello!"
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice