[10] Warlord Zon'ozz

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Warlord Zon'ozz

Postby Steve » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:37 am

Just to clarify the mechanics in case I (or anyone else) is fuzzy on them.

Zon'ozz gets a stack of focused anger every 6 seconds the Void of the Unmaking is out. Every time the ball is reflected, the target that is reflected shares damage with everyone within 20 yards, they all take 20% more (stacking) shadow damage, and the Void of the Unmaking gets a stack of Void diffusion.

When you allow the Void of the Unmaking to come into contact with Zon'ozz, it wipes his stacks of Focused Anger and applies a damage modifier to him equal to 5% times the number of stacks of void diffusion the Void of the Unmaking had (so if you reflect the Void 10 times, you do 150% of the damage you normally do).

So essentially, to increase your damage multiplier on Zon'ozz without letting stacks of Focused Anger get too high, you want to shorten the distance between the two groups playing PONG! as much as you can heal. This will allow you to get higher stacks of void diffusion on the Void of the Unmaking, translating into a higher damage multiplier during the burn phase.

So there's a balancing act amongst tank damage (stacks of Focused Anger increasing at 1 per 6 seconds), raid damage (stacks of void diffusion getting to +100%-+120% and void diffusions occurring at a higher rate), and the size of the percentage damage increase you get applied to Zon'ozz during the burn phase.

Do I have all that right? Not really relevant for normal mode, but probably helpful to know the exact mechanics for heroic/achievements.
Steve

Postby Jheherrin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:13 am

We got the Ping Pong achievment by mistake :)
Moonglade EU - Catalyst : Jheherrin,Glowlimn,Caamora
Aggramar EU - The Phoenix Reborn : Kasreyn,Gossamer
Jheherrin

Postby agetro » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:03 am

How many stacks of Focused Anger is everyone getting between each transition? My guild was attemping 5 pings between transitions, and for some reason during the 2nd ping ponging, tank damage was so high, the healers couldn't keep me up. I think we got to the 3rd one to hero, but by the time the ball was going to hit the boss, I died.
agetro

Postby frontallobe » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:14 am

Some weird tweaks/mechanics:

Our 2nd team was wiping a bit to him because the orb would seemingly pass right through the boss and kill the tank. It turns out that, kinda like rag meteors, the ball needs to be active for 5 seconds before it can hit something. So our tank / rebound group were too close together.

Also, instead of having your entire ranged move left and right like pong, you can stick one person about 5 yards left of your ranged group. The damage is still split and the orb flies on a more predictable path.

Hope this helps,
Jay
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby econ21 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:06 pm

After one shotting the first DS boss, my guild spent the evening banging our heads against this one. We tried the 5 bounce strategy. The problem was partly getting the bounces right but also partly very high tank damage. Towards the end, the DBM raid timers for psychic drain became so out of line, they were useless. [How are tanks supposed to pre-emptively use CDs without a boss mod?] I am not sure why, as they were fine at the start. Maybe the trash respawning did something to de-sync things. Anyone else had trouble with timers?
econ21

Postby Calleana » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:24 am

Timers were a but off for us and this was certainly the hardest of the first 3 for us. What worked for us here was clear communication about where the ball was going, we tried to limit raid movement by placing two markers in melee and ranged.

The tank was responsible for getting the ball to spawn in between the groups ( it always spawns behind the tank in a very unhelpful maneoirve). If the melee had to move to the side the tank had to move as well as most of their deaths were caused by splitting ball damage rather than psychic drain. I gave up trying to time cool downs but did cool down when the boss had more anger buffs as melee is most of his damage if not the big hit that is going to kill you.

For reference we two healed with tank healer in the melee group.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Pallybunny » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:21 pm

I have some questions:

1. Does Claw of Go'rath deal major melee damage, do we actually need both people to be actually tanks for tanking them?
2. What abilities does each Flails of Go'rath have? Does it have the same mechanic as Claw of Go'rath (the ranged attack is much heavier than the melee one) and have to be tanked as well?
3. What abilities does the Eye of Go'rath actually have?

Our group constantly wipe on each trash pack before killing all (never ever downed any pack without anyone dying).

The second group of questions is about Zon'ozz. Here is my profile. The main problem is that I'm constantly nearly dying when the boss reaches 5-6 stacks of Focused Anger. I'm using my trinket, Divine Protection and Guardian of Ancient Kings during the first ping-pong phase and Divine Protection and Ardent Defender during the second on. At the beginning of the third one I was forced to use Lay on Hands and then we wiped. And it was the most successful try. We've already made about 15 pulls and most of the time someone dies during the first ping-pong phase. Our strategy is 7-5-5-5.

Seems like this boss is done so easily by anyone. But we constantly wipe. What can I do to survive better? I have about 210-215k health fully buffed and sometimes I'm being downed from 100% to 5% in 1 second.
Pallybunny

Postby Tamarins » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:02 pm

The most important thing about the trash is to tank the Claw. If it doesn't have someone to melee, it will randomly zap raid members for 100k damage. It can also pick up the tank and throw him somewhere, though this is unusual. Still, it's probably smart to have someone ready to run in if the tank gets thrown.

I've always killed the Eye first. The Flails don't need to be tanked unless I'm sorely mistaken, and as soon as the Eye is dead, healing seems to become a total snoozefest. If you're wiping on those packs, I'd keep an eye on the Claw to see if it's sniping people somehow. Have you checked death reports to see exactly what's killing people? Or better yet, use WOL to see the breakdown of incoming damage for anyone who dies.

I wish I could be more helpful than this, but if you're only going to a max of 7 and you're almost dying, something is going terribly wrong. 5 should be easy for your healers and 7 should be reasonable with a cooldown, two at the most. Your description of the circumstances, ESPECIALLY your remark that you had to use LOH at the BEGINNING of the pingpong phase, makes me think that your healers are falling asleep on the job, or are incorrectly prioritizing who to heal/cleanse/etc.

I can't believe that you're taking ~185k in one second. If this is the case, either you're not block capped, you're hitting your sit key and being crit by the boss, or you're going way the hell past 7 stacks. Or you're not far enough from your melee and you're sharing the ball damage. Use World of Logs to get more reliable information and I think you'll find direct pointers to whatever the problem is.
Tamarins

Postby Pallybunny » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Actually I was asked to stay close to melee group to split their damage. So I'm standing almost in the middle of the boss circle to share melee group damage and be reachable by the ranged group healers as well.
Pallybunny

Postby Tamarins » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I highly recommend you don't help split the damage with the melee pile. Is it doable? Probably. But it sounds like a terrible idea to me.
Tamarins

Postby PsiVen » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:37 pm

We 2-healed this fight, and I definitely recommend NOT doing that.

I agree that the tank really should not be splitting Void with melee. That sounds... painful.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby rodos » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:59 pm

Pallybunny wrote:Actually I was asked to stay close to melee group to split their damage. So I'm standing almost in the middle of the boss circle to share melee group damage and be reachable by the ranged group healers as well.

Take this with a grain of salt, because we failed hard at this one too, but I agree that you want to keep tank damage on the tank and melee group damage in the melee group. If your raid is short on melee, there's really nothing stopping you putting non-melee types in the melee group to balance out the numbers for damage splitting purposes.
rodos

Postby Técaro » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:26 pm

If you do the positioning correctly, you can just split the void diffusion damage between your entire raid. I think that'll also be the recommended strat for heroic modes later on.
Técaro

Postby rodos » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:29 pm

You mean stack the melee and the ranged within 20 yds of each other so the explosion hits everyone? Does that work? We had times where the ball sailed right through the melee and the boss to the tank because the ranged were too close and it hadn't "materialized" yet after it's bounce.
rodos

Postby PsiVen » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:27 am

Steve wrote:Just to clarify the mechanics in case I (or anyone else) is fuzzy on them.

Zon'ozz gets a stack of focused anger every 6 seconds the Void of the Unmaking is out. Every time the ball is reflected, the target that is reflected shares damage with everyone within 20 yards, they all take 20% more (stacking) shadow damage, and the Void of the Unmaking gets a stack of Void diffusion.

When you allow the Void of the Unmaking to come into contact with Zon'ozz, it wipes his stacks of Focused Anger and applies a damage modifier to him equal to 5% times the number of stacks of void diffusion the Void of the Unmaking had (so if you reflect the Void 10 times, you do 150% of the damage you normally do).

So essentially, to increase your damage multiplier on Zon'ozz without letting stacks of Focused Anger get too high, you want to shorten the distance between the two groups playing PONG! as much as you can heal. This will allow you to get higher stacks of void diffusion on the Void of the Unmaking, translating into a higher damage multiplier during the burn phase.

So there's a balancing act amongst tank damage (stacks of Focused Anger increasing at 1 per 6 seconds), raid damage (stacks of void diffusion getting to +100%-+120% and void diffusions occurring at a higher rate), and the size of the percentage damage increase you get applied to Zon'ozz during the burn phase.

Do I have all that right? Not really relevant for normal mode, but probably helpful to know the exact mechanics for heroic/achievements.

It's significant to note that the Void Diffusion debuff on the boss during the burn cycle is cumulative throughout the fight. So if you bring too many healers, you can simply do an extra burn phase where the boss is taking 320% damage.

Also, the raid damage is much higher than tank damage when stacks are close. I don't recommend trying to minimize Focused Anger.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)