4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Postby Digren » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:16 pm

bazzur wrote:Hello Digren,

I got a question at the examples of the gear. Are these exaples for stage 1 and 2 still up-to-date or can I better look at the bottem page for the list with all the items? Hopefully you will responce :).

I think the character models are a bit dated. I'll look into it, but a bit busy at the moment. Life happens. =/
Digren

Postby Klorak » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:59 am

I have a question about the "Back" Slot.
Why exactly is the PvP cloak ranked higher than the Thrall Quest Cloak. Currently im running with the quest reward but i tried switching it with the PvP alternative but i was rather frustrated with the result.

Here are the two chardev profiles, Quest and PvP
If i use the PvP Cloak i gain 504 HP, 78 armor but i loose 0,48% Avoidance, is that really worth it ?
Klorak

Postby lythac » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:15 am

Klorak wrote:If i use the PvP Cloak i gain 504 HP, 78 armor but i loose 0,48% Avoidance, is that really worth it ?

On those 2 profiles you also gain 0.57% block. The 2 profiles feature different gems in the helms?

504 HP + 78 armor + 0,57% block vs 0.48% avoidance.

There is a discussion on the cloaks a few pages back starting here.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Klorak » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:07 am

Yeah, i had to switch the Gem in order to remain capped. Well i shouldnt say i lose 0,48% Avoidance, lets say i swap them for Block, but still seems like a bad trade to me. But thanks for the link.
Klorak

Postby Chasim » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:18 am

I started playing again recently and am currently trying to upgrade to the best pre-raid gear. I have the Valor Points to buy bracers and am wondering about Bracers of Regal Force vs. Gigantiform Bracers. I know that the Regal Force ones are better but the only hit I have (besides my current bracers) is on my shield. So would it be better to take the Gigantiform Bracers to stay above 2% hit or are Regal Force that much better?

Thanks.
Chasim

Postby Torias » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:53 am

You don't need any hit at all. At some point you might decide it's something you want to experiment with gearing for, but it's never anything other than a perk or, like I said, an experiment, for when you want to make a goofy high DPS tank set.
Torias

Postby TonabShin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:06 am

If you're wanting more hit for a certain encounter and/or experimenting you're more likely to swap in trinkets or offspec gear, your main tanking set doesn't want to sacrifice any hit to increase your change of death. If you want to buy hit items from valor wait until you have all the other gear you can get to increase your survival. After a few seconds of the encounter from being hit you shouldn't have any threat problems.
Deveaux - Lost Society - Tarren Mill EU
TonabShin

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:37 am

Personally, I like the Gigantiform Bracers for two reasons. First, they have a lot of Mastery which provides good Combat Table Coverage. Secondly, I hate running lower than about 4% Hit and Soft Cap Expertise because missing several consecutive times really irritates me in my rotation.

Also, unless you are a top guild that undergears content and runs with few healers, I find that tanks rarely die to boss damage, and are more likely to die from mechanics: either tank fails at mechanics or healer fails at mechanics. Once everyone is comfortable with mechanics, dps vs enrage requirement or too many dps failing to mechanics seem to be the enxt most common cause of wipes that I experience.

Finally, a starting tank is likely to still be doing some Heroics, for which hit rating can come in handy. The new threat numbers are nice, but if you miss your opening few shots you can still have a problem.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Torias » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:05 am

Hrobertgar wrote:I hate running lower than about 4% Hit and Soft Cap Expertise because missing several consecutive times really irritates me in my rotation

Frankly I find this to be the most important thing whenever the debate strikes up for and against threat stats. It's so often the case that people "feel" like they need x amount of it, or not having it is "irritating", or something like that. I'm not going to dispute that, if it's how you like to play then it's how you like to play. But structuring an argument in favour of threat stats based around something like "the rotation just... feels nicer" doesn't play for me.

Yes, the best advice would be that there's a time and a place for everything, that sometimes you might want more threat stats and sometimes less, sometimes x or y, or z, or some combination of all or none of the above. These are things that as you grow more experienced, so long as you stay introspective, you'll figure out for yourself. And sometimes, some totally unintuitive gem will crop up in Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations.

But if you're going to give "catch-all" advice it's probably best to stick to the stuff that actually makes a measurable difference rather than what "feels better", is my opinon. The secondary stats on the Gigantiforms are very competetive, and I have two pairs of them for exactly that reason, but the fact is the operative trade is a whole pile of stamina for a whole pile of strength, which is very unappealing to us as tanks.
Torias

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:43 am

Digren wrote:Image Normal Raider. A stage three tank is a normal-mode raider on either 10 or 25. He or she seeks a best-in-slot set for non-heroic gear. For some tanks, this is the peak of ability. Others, depending on guild and playstyle, will use this as a stepping stone to reach stage five.

Bolded typo. Should be four.

Also under additional notes, it states t11 is purchased with VP. Not sure if this section is waiting for DS to be updated.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:35 am

Quick list of 4.3 5 man gear with drop locations.

Helm: Annihilan Helm - Well of Eternity - Mannoroth and Varo'then
Shoulders: Pauldrons of the Dragonblight - Hour of Twilight - Asira Dawnslayer
Cloak: Iceward Cloak - Hour of Twilight - Arcurion
Chest: Breastplate of Tarnished Bronze - End of Time - Murozond
Hands: Gauntlets of Temporal Interference - Shared loot from the Echo bosses in End of Time.
Waist: Girdle of Lost Heroes - Shared loot from the Echo bosses in End of Time.
Legs: Bloodhoof Legguards - End of Time - Baine
Boots: Chrono Boots - End of Time - Murozond
Trinket: Veil of Lies - Hour of Twilight - Asira Dawnslayer
Ring: Queen's Boon - Well of Eternity - Queen Azshara
Shield: Corrupted Carapace Hour of Twilight - Archbishop Benedictus
Mace: Gavel of Peroth'arn - Well of Eternity - Peroth'arn
2h Mace: Pit Lord's Destroyer - Well of Eternity - Mannoroth and Varo'then
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Chasim » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:27 am

Thanks for the advice a bit ago. Also, really looking forward to seeing this updated for 4.3!
Chasim

Postby Deflect » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:21 pm

Just recieved my [Leggings of the Corrupted Conqueror]. What's better? The Ret or Prot ones? I'm guessing the Ret leggings because of the mastery, just want to confirm it here, thanks.
Deflect

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:58 pm

The prot 4pc is gamechanging. CTC is not problematic in t13, so there is no reason to rabidly chase every piece of gear with +mastery.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Deflect » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:00 pm

So Prot Leggings it is.
Deflect

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice