Remove Advertisements

4.3 - Spending Valor Points

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

4.3 - Spending Valor Points

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:12 am

In 4.3 we now have a weekly cap of 1000 points per week. I've been noodling around planning out what I'll be doing the next few weeks, and I'm kind of stymied -- since all tier now from drops, there's really no VP "sink." This is good and bad, I guess.

I personally have bought the relic (700 VP) since there are no other options for that slot. I plan on purchasing the cloak next week (1250 VP) since, according to MMO, there are no cloak drops in DS.

After that, I'm kind of at a loss, as I was fortunate enough to amass a pile of 391. I'm curious to see what other people are planning.

I am pretty disappointed in how lousy the tank trinkets are for us. Given how much mastery and avoidance are on this tier's gear I may go dual stam (keeping CTC, of course) just for shits. I am stunned by how uninspired these things are.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Re: 4.3 - Spending Valor Points

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:43 am

not being a heroic mode raider my upgrades are more substantial. I have the relic already and I can maintain block cap unbuffed using double mastery trinkets and the shannox belt so I have a lot of mastery only items I am leaning on. The belt seems the most compelling upgrade to me with it being mastery/avoidance compared to my mastery/threat shannox belt.

Not having a require VP dump is something I enjoy. I'll run the new 5 mans because I like them not because I feel the need to get tier.
Last edited by Flex on Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:54 am

Given the mechanics of the 2pc bonus I am actually shading towards keeping more hit and xpt instead of having an active aversion towards it. It helps that it's not a choice between CTC or Hit/Xpt, but a choice between [Avoidance w/o Hit/Xpt] and [Block w/ Hit/Xpt] (at least with the pieces I have to work with).

Gearing is marginally more interesting, at least.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Kihra » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:12 pm

For Heroic tanks in full 391, I recommend the following purchase order. This does not apply to people who aren't maxed out in Firelands gear!

(1) Relic. You can put an epic gem in it knowing it won't be wasted.
(2) Cloak. You can put an epic gem in it knowing it won't be wasted.

After that it's kind of up to you, but I'd probably recommend:

(3) Ring. You can put an epic gem in it knowing it will last until you get 410 Curled Twilight Claw, which will be after you've killed Deathwing probably. :)
(4) Neck
(5) Trinket. I put this at the bottom of the barrel for anyone who has Spidersilk Spindle, since it's such a negligible upgrade over that.
Kihra

Postby Kelaan » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:36 pm

I'm aiming for the massive mastery trinket. It's like my brawler's trinket, but with raw mastery (instead of dodge) and a larger on-use. I'd rather have the spidersilk trinket, but I don't, and don't reliably run Firelands. :(

That and a helm should get me to block cap, finally. I am tempted to get the relic, next, since it's a large upgrade, but frankly I am aiming to get 2x bonuses as soon as I can, probably ret chest/legs to go w/ my T12 2-piece prot. ;)

That may change if/when I actually manage to run LFR this weekend.
Kelaan

Postby yappo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:24 pm

For the casual, with no raid-drops, it's a no-brainer. Helmet. We're tanking in an ugly like crap pot at ilevel 353 unless we caved in and went with the 384 PvP one.
yappo

Postby Lieris » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:24 pm

Week 2: Cloak, Boots (bought on alt)
Week 3: Ring
Week 4: Neck or Relic, I am not hugely fussed about either
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenrìr » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:55 am

Honestly, I've been mulling over this for a few days now and actually retyped this post several times. >.>

But I think I'm going to do Relic > Ring > Cloak.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:58 am

Cloak's going to be my first upgrade. I'm still wearing the normal Rhyolith cloak with absolutely no more need for the mastery.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Jeremoot » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:37 am

Already bought the Stoutheart Talisman this week. Cape next week, Boots and Bracers as well with with my alts.
Jeremoot

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:39 am

I guess I didn't check into this enough... but which items from the new valor vendor are boe?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:56 am

Nikachelle wrote:I guess I didn't check into this enough... but which items from the new valor vendor are boe?

afaik only boots, but I'll doublecheck in a few.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby HammU » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:56 am

actually, the bracers are also BoE

Unfortunately the craftable bracers as well as the ones from Zon'ozz are better itemised and they both have 1 or even 2 sockets.

But i guess getting them with an alt until you can craft one or the other drops, wouldn't be a waste.
HammU

Postby Jeremoot » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:42 am

Yes, boots and bracers are both BoE.
Jeremoot

Postby hitty » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:46 am

after my calculations and valor tabs... it'll take 7 weeks.
there are 6 items that are of interest in the bis (according to ask mr. robot).

Relic, Neck, Cloak, Belt, Feet and Ring.
Using their default weights and prioritizing CTC and mostly my t12 gear... the results are as follows in terms of points.
Week 2 - Belt (alt 1650 feet).
Week 3 - Relic
Week 4 - pass
Week 5 - Neck
Week 6 - Ring
Week 7 - Cloak

Obviously, this may change depending on what drops one would get during the 7 weeks of raiding and what piece becomes more or less valuable. But from a casual perspective where one might not get many raid drops in the 7 weeks, this is the order I would go. =;c)
Hitty, the siege tank has connected... "Identify Target!"
hitty

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice