Remove Advertisements

[10] Warlord Zon'ozz

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

[10] Warlord Zon'ozz

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:23 pm

This guy was sort of fun.

Took a couple of tries to get him. Our strategy was to allow the ping pong orb to bounce between ranged and melee 5 times (ranged-melee-ranged-melee-ranged-boss), then turn the boss sideways to make certain melee group is out of the way so it hits the boss, then pawn his ass.

I noticed that doing this was quick enough that the debuff was still on the boss when the next ping pong hit him, so they stacked 5 - 10 - 15 & Hero - fall over.

Our very first attempt we had a problem with the melee getting out of the way so we had a LOT more bounces (almost the 10 for the achieve), note that the boss is gaining stacks during this time and the tank is taking more and more dmg. For a geared/skilled group I think you could do 7-11 stacks the first time, then 5 each of the next times so as to add to the boss' stack, without letting them drop off. On normal mode, he did fall over when we popped hero after the third ping pong with 15 stacks, but on hero it might be advantagous to blow tank CDs to build stacks on the first one, then addon with subsequent ping pongs.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Re: [10] Warlord Zon'ozz

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:42 pm

I'm so excited, can't sleep yet, thout I would talk about the trash quickly. This was actually our first wipe of the night, after we blasted Morchok. I happened to go left and we tried the trash haphazardly and wiped BAD.

We regrouped and rushed the eye as an 'obvious' target an wiped again. Recount shoed the big Claw was doing most of the damage, with the eye second. We went back to the blood boss and returned here for #3. This time we tanked the Claw and burned its ass, while healers spammed, then blasted the eye which appears to be practically untankable, then the three little stalks in each group fell over. No more deaths to this guys' trash :)

It might be possible to tank the Claw and burn the eye first, but this worked for us.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Steve » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:20 am

The Claw of Go'rath only does bad things when nobody is melee attacking. One of the abilities it has is to grab a player in melee range and toss them at another player at range. Consequently, all you really need are two melee players to attack it to avoid the bad things.

You can probably just save it for last if you want. The other targets will do more damage.
Steve

Postby fafhrd » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:03 am

We actually did do the achievement (unintentionally), going roughly 10-10-lust-dead. Around 10 seems when healers were complaining about damage, but as ranged DPS I never noticed my health being low (compared to Ultraxion or Gunship where I definitely got very low at times) - the upside of long bounce phases is you get high stacks of the DPS debuff both times, and everyone's cooldowns are up for both. Average iLvl of raid was 390ish though, ymmv.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby saif » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:37 am

Our trash order was Eye > Tentacles > Claw, as tanking the Claw neutered a lot of its damage.

This was actually pretty fun to tank. Easy to cheese, though, if you setup in a line:

ranged -------> melee ---> tank

And just turn him 180 degrees just before the orb comes out and melee moves out of the way, the ball just bounces back and forth and then when you want it to hit him, the melee just move out of the way.

1-shot once we set up this way. This was actually the first fun fight to tank.
saif

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 am

We actually did do the achievement (unintentionally), going roughly 10-10-lust-dead.

As I indiated, if you do subsequent ping-pong quickly enough, his stacks build rather than drop off. Going 10 the first time is ok if your healers (and tnk CDs) can manage, but going that high on subsequent ping-pongs merely allows the stacks to drop off.

If you had gone 10-6 Lust you would have added the 6 stacks to the 10 for a 16 stack total and you probably still would have downed him in two phases, but it would have been quicker and less stressfull on the healers.

I think on heroic mode it will be highly advantageous to add the stacks rather than alow them to expire.

Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby xstratax » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:52 am

I would appreciate more insight into your strategy. Our group split melee and ranged and found that the explosions were devastating, and the boss was hitting way too hard with Psychic Drain for us to even try 5 bounces, let alone 10. Our gear isnt at 390 though, we might be at 380, but more likely 378ish.

1 Tank, 3 Heal, 3 Melee, 3 Ranged
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby fafhrd » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:59 am

I wish I could offer you logs, but they don't seem to have worked properly last night, not least because I forgot to tell the mod to log the new instance. Our strategy was mostly "bounce till it seems to be getting painful then let it hit him", and somewhere north of 10 is where that settled. We had 1 tank, 3 melee, and I think 3 heal although I'm not sure (druid may have gone moonkin some fights), rest ranged. Fairly sure we saved raid cooldowns for during the burns, tank cooldowns were presumably used on high bounces. Our tank (Paoani) apparently reads MTadin, maybe he can drop in and explain how bad Psychic Drain was getting.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Paoanii » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:04 am

Ohai faf, and I was saving CDs just watching timers for when psychic drain+the orb timing synched up, with divine prot for early orbs and guardian as we got to 6+. Never had to AD, but ill chalk that up to good heals+some lucky resists. Raid cooldowns were during the burn phases, and we 3-healed for zon'ozz. Biggest thing is to make sure your tank is facing him towards the raid until the orb spawns then quickly turn him so Psychic Drain doesn't hit the raid.
Paoanii

Postby Volitaire » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:15 pm

We actually had some odd trouble with him. The orb was bouncing at angles....presumably from the ranged hitting it from the side maybe? It was causing us alot of issue. We didn't try turning him sideways to get the orb either so maybe that will help. We ultimately downed him (me kiting him into the orb) but it was kinda slow for us getting the orb to hit the boss and not pass by him and me have to absorb it.
<Blood Runs Cold> - Stormrage(US) Alliance 10-man 13/13HM
Late Night 12am-3am EST Tues-Thurs, Sunday
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/volitaire
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/Hamstring2568
Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ire/simple
Volitaire

Postby Passionario » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:53 pm

We went with a 1-stack strategy (ping ball once, let it hit boss). Oddly enough, it worked.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby fafhrd » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:58 pm

Passionario wrote:We went with a 1-stack strategy (ping ball once, let it hit boss). Oddly enough, it worked.

O:
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby JRKy » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:30 pm

We went with the following...

RL: "OK, that's 5, let it hit."
mDPS: "Woops!"
RL: "7!"
RL: "mDPS, LET IT HIT!"
mDPS: "OMG, I swear I was out of the way!"
RL: "9!!"
HEALS: "FFS!"
TANK: "MUST... FIND... MORE... CDs!!"
TANK: "mDPS, JUST RUN AWAY!"
RL: "LET IT HIT!!!"

*transition*

GROUP: "WHEEEW!"
RL: "I hate you all."

Honestly, I thought every fight thus far was a blast. Having a good time with the new content.
JRKy

Postby Koatanga » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:17 pm

We did the strategy of pinging the ball back and forth 6 times, after which the melee shift out of the way, then on 7th the ranged follow the orb in so that we have everyone stacking up near the boss for AoE heals during the black phase.

We only have two melee, so we put two healers in with them to soak damage, giving us 3 groups (5 ranged, 4 melee, 1 tank on the other side of the boss).

Was a fine strat and worked great on the kill. However, highlights of the pre-kill attempts features such gems as the healers continuing to heal while the rest of the melee moved away, leaving two healers to soak the bounce. Instead of it hitting the boss for a nice 8-stack black phase, we had two dead healers and a bouncing ball. Fun times.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby rodos » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:10 pm

This guy gave us a lot of trouble last night. The orb seems to have some funny mechanics, or is very latency sensitive. Several times saw it wander right through the boss and blow up on the tank. Maybe our ranged group was too close, and it didn't become "bouncy" soon enough. I'm not sure.

Eventually we got the bouncing to work well enough, after which this seems to become a healer fight. Continuous damage from the ball, the vicious DoT, heavy melee on tank, and then the AoE phase. We failed hard. Too much complacency from farming FL normals I think. Next time, more and smarter use of cooldowns required - both raid and healing.
rodos

Next

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)