[10] Ragnaros

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10] Ragnaros

Postby Belloc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:29 am

Zalaria wrote:I don't know what kind of gear you guys are rocking, but I've never had my stacks fall off. I've gotten as high as 18 stacks after my co-tank died, and it only stopped there because he died!

I could be mistaken, but I think the stacks dropping are mainly a result of avoiding his melee attacks. So... if you get lucky, the stacks will drop. Otherwise, nope.
Belloc

Postby Treck » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:44 am

In p1, they wont drop off unless your extremely lucky.
As the phases pass, the likelyhood only increases.
But yes, if you keep beeing unlucky they might not fall off eather.
Treck

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:34 pm

When I tank it, I usually run with my mastery set and have like 26% combined dodge/parry. The stacks for me can be variable as far as how fast/slow they build but don't actually drop off. I have not tried to bubble/cancelaura clear the stacks

When I heal though, one of my tanks is usually a bear with like 35% or so dodge (think that may be unbuffed, i'm not certain), and his stacks do sometimes drop in ph1, but rarely so. I have not noticed stacks dropping on other lesser avoidance tanks, at elast not in ph1/ph2. ph3 seems not to matter as much.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Firas » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:05 am

At the end of the week when my guild switches rag to normal just to kill him, I always one tank it with 2 healers. Fight takes about 5 minutes flat.

We lust after the first seeds to ensure we only ever get one set, also make sure to extend the second transition phase and clearly mark a lava scion to burn down before pushing him into p3.

Just make sure to use the divine protection glyph for this tactic for sure if you were not using it for heroic rag attempts for some reason.

Also just to note, every time We've done this, 4 weeks now, my stacks have never fallen off during an actual rag tanking phase, however they will always clear during a transition s phase.

If you're truly curious I can fraps my guild doing this fight this way tomorrow night. (unless by some miracle of god we kill it on heroic.)
Firas

Postby Firas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Just had some fun doing 1 tank, 1 heal normal 10 man rag. Took about 4:53 seconds.

Only one person died because I was a little slow moving out of world in flames so I sacrificed a melee dps to save myself.
Firas

Postby Firas » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:04 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMVfPMr ... r_embedded

QUICK NOTE: It wasn't till after when I noticed fraps was nice enough to change my full screen setting to half screen thus the terrible resolution. I'm sorry. I did the best I could to bring the resolution and quality up.
Firas

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:32 am

^--Little slow to respond, but you're talking about going from 10H to 10N and solo tanking it. If we had heroic gear, that might change things immensely, but for someone that hasn't downed Rags on 10N, I'm not sure solo tanking is a viable option.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby rodos » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:47 pm

Since we're already having a necro-moment here...

What's people's feelings on P2 positioning strategy for 10-man? My guild always spread around the large arc on the floor, with tanks at the right end, melee at the left and ranged/heals bowed out between. After seeds, everyone runs to the edge of the lava dead centre. If flames come on the inner third, strafe out a little, when hammer comes, tuck in close to Rag.

I went with a semi-pug group who were trying the strat, mentioned earlier in this thread, of stacking on one side and running to the other. It seemed to be a bit chaotic, and failed a couple of times before the tank DC and I had to leave.

Is there a particular advantage to each strat that makes them applicable to certain group comps?
rodos

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:28 am

My group just spreads out on each side then sprints to the other side for seeds. However I have sen the video of the one group using the stacking mechanic. It was very interesting and looked good if well executed. I believe that newer DBM versions that feature the 5-second countdown are meant to aid in using this strategy.

If you strafe a teeny bit once the countdown is completed, then the seed will drop in your old location, not where you strafed to, and that is how the stacked groups avoid getting obliterated by the stack of seeds dropping.

I would be willing to try that method, but since being in a spread out group and waiting for the graphic works for my groups, there isn't a need to change.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Belloc » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:39 pm

Hrobertgar wrote:My group just spreads out on each side then sprints to the other side for seeds. However I have sen the video of the one group using the stacking mechanic. It was very interesting and looked good if well executed. I believe that newer DBM versions that feature the 5-second countdown are meant to aid in using this strategy.

If you strafe a teeny bit once the countdown is completed, then the seed will drop in your old location, not where you strafed to, and that is how the stacked groups avoid getting obliterated by the stack of seeds dropping.

I would be willing to try that method, but since being in a spread out group and waiting for the graphic works for my groups, there isn't a need to change.

The method you are referring to is far too dangerous for a group still working on normal-mode Ragnaros. It requires basically every member of your raid to know exactly when to move. My 6/7h group couldn't even pull it off a lot of the time.

I strongly suggest splitting your raid between left and right groups. Those groups spread out on the far left and far right. When the seed timer goes off, everyone runs to the center, right next to the center edge of the platform. Alternatively, having the entire raid spread out on one side of the room and then moving to the other side has a similar effect, though isn't as safe.
Belloc

Postby rodos » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Belloc wrote:
Hrobertgar wrote:My group just spreads out on each side then sprints to the other side for seeds. However I have sen the video of the one group using the stacking mechanic. It was very interesting and looked good if well executed. I believe that newer DBM versions that feature the 5-second countdown are meant to aid in using this strategy.

The method you are referring to is far too dangerous for a group still working on normal-mode Ragnaros. It requires basically every member of your raid to know exactly when to move. My 6/7h group couldn't even pull it off a lot of the time.

I strongly suggest splitting your raid between left and right groups. Those groups spread out on the far left and far right. When the seed timer goes off, everyone runs to the center, right next to the center edge of the platform. Alternatively, having the entire raid spread out on one side of the room and then moving to the other side has a similar effect, though isn't as safe.

This is the feeling I got. I like our spread strategy best - especially since we often have people with high-ish latency in raid. It seems easy to execute, and quite effective.

One thing I've noticed is that on I think it's the second set of seeds (in 10N), he is usually still casting Engulfing Flames when the seed timer comes up, which causes a couple of seconds delay in the seeds. On at least one attempt people ran in on the timer and dropped seeds too close to the stack point. That hurt a lot.
rodos

Postby Darielle » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:42 am

One thing I've noticed is that on I think it's the second set of seeds (in 10N), he is usually still casting Engulfing Flames when the seed timer comes up, which causes a couple of seconds delay in the seeds. On at least one attempt people ran in on the timer and dropped seeds too close to the stack point. That hurt a lot.

He'll either cast Seeds before Engulfing (they'll land as Engulfing is cast), or he'll cast Engulfing first and cannot cast Seeds until after he's finished with Engulfing.
Darielle

Previous

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)