Query: Leveling as Prot guide?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Query: Leveling as Prot guide?

Postby masterpoobaa » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:37 pm

Just throwing this out there guys,
Would anyone find value in a 'Leveling as Prot' guide for 4.2 if I wrote something up?

Cheers
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Re: Query: Leveling as Prot guide?

Postby bldavis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:38 pm

i would read it!

i am seriously thinking about just leveling my pally prot/holy and selling all the ret gear he has

pveprot pvp anyone?

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby lythac » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:57 am

I would read it, find it interesting and possibly reminisce.

We are talking about a 10-60, 60-70, 70-80 guide?

It would have value, just not for players on Maintankadin :P Its value would be as a post to direct players to from official forums, guildmates and /trade.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:24 pm

lythac wrote:I would read it, find it interesting and possibly reminisce.

We are talking about a 10-60, 60-70, 70-80 guide?

It would have value, just not for players on Maintankadin :P Its value would be as a post to direct players to from official forums, guildmates and /trade.

Yeah, proly break it down into digestable chunks...
1-15, 15-60, 60-70, 70-80
Focusing on leveling by questing and instancing - but not battlegrounds as I don't really have experience doing that.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby bldavis » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:59 pm

but pvprot is so fun! (actually it is kinda fun being nearly unkillable)

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:47 pm

Ok, well ill do the questing/grinding/instancing part, you can add bits for pvp.
masterpoobaa

Postby Macforge » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:01 am

Leveling through dungeons is great practice. I still don't have a second spec. I have a set of gear with crit/haste for doing my daily quests. I love it.
Macforge

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:40 am

As I'm contemplating between starting a new pally and just transferring my 81 pally to Alliance side, it would definitely be a great read!
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Siern » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:44 am

Yes, please do. I'm leveling my first paladin and I'm level 66 and have been leveling as ret but I want to give tanking a try but have no idea what to do.
Siern

Postby Xylaria » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:22 am

I agree this would be a nice feature...

When I returned to WoW a month ago, and was leveling up to 85, I was looking for one of these guides but couldn't find one...

(I have also been looking for these types of guides for other classes, but haven't had any luck there either :( so if anyone knows them, don't hesitate :D )
Xylaria

Postby bldavis » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:49 pm

just adding my opinion to this
i havent touched my pally much since i switched servers and left him there

i will be leveling my new pally as prot for both pvp and pve
a guide that would help me get back into the swing of things from an expirienced pally would be great!

bldavis

Postby Zobel » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:37 pm

For leveling via PVE content, I'm not sure what you're looking for that isn't in the Protection Paladin Basics thread. It covers your rotation, spec, gear (stat preferences), etc.

The difference between end-game skills and the ones you have while leveling is you don't have all your abilities yet. So use the ones you have, and incorporate new ones as you acquire them.

The difference between end-game talents and leveling talents is you don't have all your talent points yet. But you don't have much choice in where to put points, so just put each additional point you get towards your end-game talent build (in the prot tree).

You shouldn't need a guide for questing, but if you do, it won't contain anything specific to tankadins. Just go places and kill stuff, turn in items, etc. Questing is on rails these days.

You'll want to learn how the various dungeons flow, though you mostly won't see those dungeons again when you get to the end game. Learn your rotation, wear appropriate gear, and you should do okay.
Zobel

Postby Valentus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Howdy!

Leveling as Prot to me is a lot more fun than Ret, and I would like a guide just in case there is some feature I am neglecting. I've just returned from a 4 year hiatus and everything is different.

I've been leveling my Tankadin since the high teens, just using the Random Dungeon feature of the find dungeon; the leveling SEEMS to go a lot quicker than grinding quests in one zone to the next, because it is a lot more fun.

I don't there is much to it that the main guide does't already cover: stack stamina and strength gear whenever possible, pick up +dodge and +parry whenever you can. There is almost always a group waiting for a tank to join so there isn't much down time, and you progress rapidly.

When I'm not in a dungeon, I'm out grinding stacks of leather and ore to play the auction house and fund my gear upgrades from the auction house.

One thing I am curious about, around what level should you really start making an effort to obtain glyphs? Just whenever you can afford em?
Valentus

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:34 pm

Valentus wrote:One thing I am curious about, around what level should you really start making an effort to obtain glyphs? Just whenever you can afford em?

I see where you are coming from with that question. Levelling an alt, I was horrified at the cost of glyphs: totally out of the price range for a level 20 or whatever. I ended up getting a friend to help me transfer gold from my alliance main to my horde alt via the Booty Bay AH.

I guess the glyphs are just perks and can wait till you can afford them. But for my alt, where price was ultimately not an issue, I was very keen to get them on level: I think it was the HotR one and the LoH one I went for early, as I thought they could be very useful for levelling during dungeons. LoH is an awesome 5-man cooldown and low level dungeons seem to be all about AOE.
econ21

Postby Valentus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:09 am

One other thing that would be helpful are non-dungeon quest rewards that yield tanking gear, that can be worthwhile to pursue. It seems like prior to BC, GOOD tanking gear is hard to come by (so many drops are +crit +hit ect instead of dodge/parry). I am having a hard time finding a good database that lists all quest rewards so I know what to go after.

edit: Just found this, applying the appropriate filters is all you need to do
http://www.wowhead.com/items?filter=min ... rs=2;crv=0
Valentus

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents