Remove Advertisements

Assassin's Creed: Revelations!

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Assassin's Creed: Revelations!

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:19 pm

So last night I picked up the new Assassin's Creed: Revelations Signiture Edition...

I've only played the intro peice of the story and I already get the feeling it's going to have VERY STRONG ties to all 3 of the other games "lore & history" which i'm excited about.

I played 2 hours of the multiplayer and I was fairly impressed by some of the new changes, annoyed by some.. but I think that's the whole "DADDY DON'T LIKE CHANGE!!" talking.

Anyone else have any opinions on it?
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Re: Assassin's Creed: Revelations!

Postby Dorvan » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Did they improve the systems around multiplayer? That's what frustrated me so much about multiplayer in Brotherhood: the actual multiplayer game was well done and a lot of fun, but the systems around it were *terrible*, from long wait times to poor matching abilities to general UI unfriendliness, like not being able to access other menus while waiting for a game (which exacerbated the wait time problem) or having the mute function placed in an inconvenient location.

Did they completely revamp this, or is it more or less the same process?

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Shyrtandros » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:58 am

Dorvan wrote:Did they improve the systems around multiplayer? That's what frustrated me so much about multiplayer in Brotherhood: the actual multiplayer game was well done and a lot of fun, but the systems around it were *terrible*, from long wait times to poor matching abilities to general UI unfriendliness, like not being able to access other menus while waiting for a game (which exacerbated the wait time problem) or having the mute function placed in an inconvenient location.

Complete Revamp.

They made it so when you're matchmaking you can go through any of the menus to change your player sets, icon, ect ect.. in fact if you're changing perks and stuff and the game starts it doesn't yank you out so if you're not careful you can actually just be standing around in game.. (I totally spaced on how long I was playing with the abilities and came back to a knife in the back)

The match making seems to be solid, at 1AM I was still getting almost instant Q's. There may be a bug with group Q'ing but I'm not certain.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby theckhd » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:35 pm

I've played through a few hours of the single player so far. It's good, but I'm not as into it as I was Brotherhood, at least so far. Maybe as the story develops I'll get more engrossed in it.

My main gripe so far, however, is that they changed some of the controls very slightly. There are some things on circle that were on triangle, and other things that were on square but are now on triangle, and eagle vision is now L3 instead of triangle... I don't get the reasoning. The control scheme was more or less perfect in Brotherhood with the puppeteer controls. I'm not sure why they'd fool with an excellent established control scheme at this point in the series.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Orthien » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:53 am

Dorvan wrote:Did they improve the systems around multiplayer? That's what frustrated me so much about multiplayer in Brotherhood: the actual multiplayer game was well done and a lot of fun, but the systems around it were *terrible*, from long wait times to poor matching abilities to general UI unfriendliness, like not being able to access other menus while waiting for a game (which exacerbated the wait time problem) or having the mute function placed in an inconvenient location.

They have done some big revamps on the matching system and the whole UI. They have also reworked some of the gameplay, some people hate it some people don't mind. I don't mind it as it is, it's far better than it was in the beta thankfully.

On the game itself. It seemed to go by quite quick. Story wise it didn't start very well but the last few sequences are truly amazing esspecially when paired with watching the short film 'Embers' after you finish. The gameplay of single player itself was nothing special but that ending and setup for AC3 sure made up for it.

My vote is definatly get it for the story and try the new multiplayer while your there.

theckhd wrote:I've played through a few hours of the single player so far. It's good, but I'm not as into it as I was Brotherhood, at least so far. Maybe as the story develops I'll get more engrossed in it.

My main gripe so far, however, is that they changed some of the controls very slightly. There are some things on circle that were on triangle, and other things that were on square but are now on triangle, and eagle vision is now L3 instead of triangle... I don't get the reasoning. The control scheme was more or less perfect in Brotherhood with the puppeteer controls. I'm not sure why they'd fool with an excellent established control scheme at this point in the series.

I thought that aswell but as you play and unlock more and more things it becomes quite obvious it had to be done to avoid putting to much on a single button.
Orthien

Postby Aubade » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:16 pm

I've heard great reviews from my customers about it. I think after i die down from new zelda + Skyrim + Dark Souls + Battlefield 3 + New FF13 next month, I'm gonna pick up all the assassin's creeds and see if I can get into them, they seem like something I'd like.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Orthien » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:11 pm

If you start from the begining you have to keep in mind that while AC1 has some great story and is a very good into to the series but the gameplay is rather repeditive. Some people don't mind it and its better if it is your first AC game but I know some people that were initialy put off by it and had to be convinced to try AC2 onwards which improve drematicly.
Orthien

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:02 pm

Orthien wrote:If you start from the begining you have to keep in mind that while AC1 has some great story and is a very good into to the series but the gameplay is rather repeditive. Some people don't mind it and its better if it is your first AC game but I know some people that were initialy put off by it and had to be convinced to try AC2 onwards which improve drematicly.

This x100

AC1 was great but even for it's time didn't have much diversity, they fixed that with AC2 and every game after.
Shyrtandros

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Is it worth getting for someone that hasnt played the previous 3?
Lightbeard

Postby Aubade » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:11 pm

Lightbeard wrote:Is it worth getting for someone that hasnt played the previous 3?

No. Start at #2. I was put-off by #1 when I tried it almost a year ago, but everyone promises 2 is way better.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby theckhd » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:10 am

Orthien wrote:
theckhd wrote:My main gripe so far, however, is that they changed some of the controls very slightly. There are some things on circle that were on triangle, and other things that were on square but are now on triangle, and eagle vision is now L3 instead of triangle... I don't get the reasoning. The control scheme was more or less perfect in Brotherhood with the puppeteer controls. I'm not sure why they'd fool with an excellent established control scheme at this point in the series.

I thought that aswell but as you play and unlock more and more things it becomes quite obvious it had to be done to avoid putting to much on a single button.

I don't know, the old system of "Press square to swing sword, hold square down to aim with gun" worked pretty well for me. They could have easily done that with this game, replacing "gun" with "arbitrary secondary weapon" since you can now choose between gun/bombs/knives/etc.

My gripe is that I keep trying to hold square to shoot people from rooftops, and instead end up leaping down and assassinating them, screwing up my mission. I had to restart a few missions so far because that broke my 100% synch.

Aubade wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:Is it worth getting for someone that hasnt played the previous 3?

No. Start at #2. I was put-off by #1 when I tried it almost a year ago, but everyone promises 2 is way better.

I second this. #1 was a lot of fun to play through because the "stealth and kill" concept hadn't been done anywhere near as well before, and the story was quite good. But the mechanics felt very tedious after a while; stealthing basically involved holding X and moving very slowly.

Assassin's Creed 2 improved the mechanics immensely, and was an excellent game. Brotherhood improved it even more, and was also excellent. Revelations seems to continue this trend, albeit with slightly different controls. For anyone starting the series, I'd suggest #2.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Return to Arkham Asylum