Remove Advertisements

Resistances

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Resistances

Postby skirmisher » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:30 am

So quick question and I'm sorry if it is listed somewhere else but I'm wondering how exactly magic resists work in regards to full resists and mainly in regards to PVE. Does everyone just have the same chance to full resist macic attacks or does it increase as your magic resistance increases. I read on wowwiki that resistance increases your chance to full resist but I've not been able to find any math to support this. Any ideas?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if I switch from my flask of steelskin to a prismatic elixer does it increase my chance to full resist in addition to the damage reduction or does it only affect damage taken?
skirmisher

Re: Resistances

Postby theckhd » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:26 pm

I'm fairly certain that full resists no longer happen on damaging attacks, only on things like buff/debuff applications. I suspect the wowwiki entry is horribly out of date, which is the case for most of their mechanics articles.

So the benefit of the elixir should just be to increase your partial resists. The magic partial resistance mechanics are pretty thoroughly detailed here.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:34 pm

You can resist Rhyolith's Concussive Stomp same for Ragnaros' Knockback that deals damage. But then again that could be binary factor of the Knockback, you resist the knockback so you take no damage.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Paoanii » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Full resists are definitely possible, it just requires an insanely large amount of resistance. I've personally fully resisted a magma trap while tanking Rag, but I had a prismatic elixir+Aura Mastery and even then I usually dont fully resist.
Paoanii

Postby Rhiannon » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:11 pm

Paoanii wrote:Full resists are definitely possible, it just requires an insanely large amount of resistance. I've personally fully resisted a magma trap while tanking Rag, but I had a prismatic elixir+Aura Mastery and even then I usually dont fully resist.

Indeed. Logs.
Rhiannon

Postby econ21 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:23 am

Moving a little off-topic - what are people's views on resistance aura? Tanking bosses in regular 10 man Firelands, I've started prefering that to devotion aura: is that silly or received wisdom? The reasons for my switching are (a) it seems quite a big effect; is it around 20% magic damage reduction?; (b) it seems that magic burst damage is often the thing that risks killing me rather than melee strikes. However, I don't know what the maths is about the melee damage reduction from devotion aura.
econ21

Postby Torias » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:30 am

My only caution is that Resistance Aura is very easy to pick up "by accident" without even really noticing. Glyph of Healing Stream Totem turns Shaman's HST into a Resistance Aura totem for Fire/Frost/Nature, and ours is Fire/Frost/Shadow. But the priest Prayer of Shadow Protection covers the base of the Shadow Resistance, and neither is (as far as I recall) pushed off the buff table by Resistance Aura since they all have different effects, but don't stack.

Aside from that, on most bosses I'd agree that Resistance Aura is invaluable. Not just for you but for the raid, when you consider that most threatening attacks landing on you are magical but nearly any time whatsoever that the rest of the raid takes damage it will be resistable magic damage.

Finally, full resists are definitely still possible on binary spell effects but not on pure damaging spell effects. <conjecture>For some reason as far as I can tell Rhyolith's stomp is still flagged as a "binary effect" due to the knockback it used to have, and possibly Ragnaros's magma trap is flagged as binary since it applies a knockback effect to its detonator.</conjecture> Either way, those abilities are definitely full-resistable.
Torias

Postby Torias » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:30 am

My only caution is that Resistance Aura is very easy to pick up "by accident" without even really noticing. Glyph of Healing Stream Totem turns Shaman's HST into a Resistance Aura totem for Fire/Frost/Nature, and ours is Fire/Frost/Shadow. But the priest Prayer of Shadow Protection covers the base of the Shadow Resistance, and neither is (as far as I recall) pushed off the buff table by Resistance Aura since they all have different effects, but don't stack.

Aside from that, on most bosses I'd agree that Resistance Aura is invaluable. Not just for you but for the raid, when you consider that most threatening attacks landing on you are magical but nearly any time whatsoever that the rest of the raid takes damage it will be resistable magic damage.

Finally, full resists are definitely still possible on binary spell effects but not on pure damaging spell effects. <conjecture>For some reason as far as I can tell Rhyolith's stomp is still flagged as a "binary effect" due to the knockback it used to have, and possibly Ragnaros's magma trap is flagged as binary since it applies a knockback effect to its detonator.</conjecture> Either way, those abilities are definitely full-resistable.
Torias

Postby Hrobertgar » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:38 am

Resistance Aura in combination with Aura Mastery is great for specific situations, but if you have a shammy in your group Devotion can be nice. Resist Aura can also help if the raid is spread out as some may be beyond the range of totems.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby theckhd » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:07 am

Torias wrote:<conjecture>For some reason as far as I can tell Rhyolith's stomp is still flagged as a "binary effect" due to the knockback it used to have, and possibly Ragnaros's magma trap is flagged as binary since it applies a knockback effect to its detonator.</conjecture> Either way, those abilities are definitely full-resistable.

I think this conjecture is probably very close to the truth then. But the only source I can find that gives us any insight into the formula is a wowwiki entry from WotLK, which mentions that it is "assumed" that binary spells are resisted according to the average resistance formula. If that's really the case, then you could treat those binary resist effects the same way we do non-binary effects, given a large enough sample size.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:08 am

I suppose this would explain how, when popping traps, I sometimes don't go flying into the air...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby skirmisher » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:10 am

Yeah we've been stuck on heroic rag for a while now and there are many times where one or multiple raid members have taken no damage to magma trap explosions and it is quite frequent that myself or the other tank will not get knocked back or take any damage from Hand of Ragnaros. Perhaps I've mistakenly believed this to be a full resist of the spell but honestly I'm not sure I understand how the mechanic works fully and weather or not it shares the 5% miss chance although WOL generally lists it as an absorb I believe. Either way I'm just trying to wrap my head around the mechanic to figure out if the resist elixer would increase the chance of that happening. I'm also wondering how burning wound is applied and why sometimes it seems to stack more slowly than others like in phase 2.
skirmisher

Postby Hrobertgar » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:46 am

I'm also wondering how burning wound is applied and why sometimes it seems to stack more slowly than others like in phase 2.

High avoidance can reduce burning wound rate of application. Burning Wound can even fall off, but I have only seen this on a Bear with like 37% dodge. On my Pally with like 26% avoidance in my normal mastery set, I've just seen it be a slow stack at times.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby skirmisher » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:11 pm

Yeah I assumed it was his melee swings that applied the debuff but the tooltip makes me wonder if all of his abilities stack it. Prior to reforging to help our struggling phase 3 dps I had just under 41% avoidance including miss. With the 4-piece proc and windwalk I'm wondering if it will be possible to reliably drop stacks and solo tank the fight next tier.
skirmisher

Postby skirmisher » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:20 pm

Also after looking at my logs again I'm showing 2 resisted magma trap eruptions as well as 2 resisted ticks from engulfing flames and a resisted hand of ragnaros in the period of our 3 attempts on Wednesday. Pretty sure I bubbled the engulfing flames though.
skirmisher

Next

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations