Remove Advertisements

Skyrim, first impressions (limit spoilers, please!)

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Skyrim, first impressions (limit spoilers, please!)

Postby Aubade » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:46 pm

fafhrd wrote:I'm currently torn between whether I should just go out and play the game, or keep making iron daggers to powerlevel smithing and try to make a high level set and legendary weapon before I kill my 2nd dragon. Seems like it would be a bit dull if I have mostly irreplaceable items before killing much of anything. Even with just an exquisite elven bow and a little +% bow damage gear every normal enemy gets oneshot from sneak, although I guess if I finished powerlevelling the level scaling would help make up for some of that.

Leaning towards just playing for now, and doing the full crafting with amped up enchanting and alchemy for better crafting on a 2nd playthrough on max difficulty.

Don't worry about leveling up your smithing just yet if you still haven't killed a 2nd dragon. I didn't finish smithing until I was level 30~ and even now, I think I did it too early, since I haven't died yet since I made it. Nothing at all can kill me.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Gracerath » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:49 am

Aubade wrote:
Gracerath wrote:I just have to say that a full dwarven heavy armor set is one of the coolest armor sets in any game I've ever seen.

Daedric Armor, not only is it the best Heavy Armor in the game, It's the most bad-ass.

sahiel wrote:Oh, and not sure about this but I think any weapons you upgrade at the Skyforge appear to get a free level of quality.

Nope. It's dependent on your skill level , and whether or not you have any "Armor improves by XX% when you craft/upgrade it" Enchants on any of your gear, or the elixirs/draughts/philters for it.

That being said. YAYYY FINALLY GOT 100 SMITHING WOOOOOOO

Oh awesome. I was curious what the daedric armor looked like. It is indeed awesome, but I still like the Dwarven better. However, I wont feel bad upgrading to that when its time. I was worried it might not look all that good and I'd be stuck with something stupid just because the stats are way better.

I'm having a total blast with the game. I just spent the entire day playing. Time just flew by. I have an awesome recharagable grand soul gem that only accepts human souls. That is awesome cause its pretty easy to go find a bandit somewhere to recharge it. I came across a few more awesome things too, like a sweet staff that summons a pretty bad ass demon guy with a sword.

Something interesting you guys may or may not know is how a dungeon scales its enemies. The very first time you set foot inside an enclosed area with enemies (caves, towers, keeps, dungeons, etc) the level is set. For example, I discovered an underwater keep when I was around level 10 and I went inside but left without doing anything. I ended up getting a quest to go back there while I was at level 25. The enemies were apprentice mages shooting frost from their hands and being one shot by my melee swings without even a charge up. I like that and then again I don't. On the one hand, if an area is too hard, it is totally possible to leave and come back in a few levels and you'll have an advantage. On the other, you could just explore everywhere you can in the early levels, enter and exit and then come back later on as you get quests for the area and then McSmoke everything there with ease. I'm not sure if that is really a big deal cause that would take several hours of exploring to accomplish but you know someone out there is doing just that. However, I guess its just like a cheat code. Its a choice and you don't have to use it.

There are so many interesting things in the world. I've solved a murder mystery, joined the dark brotherhood (and boy, my first kill was not stealthy at all), brought lovers together, became leader of the Companions, got married, found some neat NPC teammates, sat and listened to bards sing in taverns and so much more. For the amount of content, this has to be the best bargain for my dollar in a long time.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:54 am

Kelaan wrote:Can you actually easily complete major quests as a sneaky archer type character, though? I recall starting a character in Oblivion, archering the SHIT out of world mobs, and then going into an oblivion gate where the guards chase you to the door, never reset aggro, and are like "OHAI! /squish" as soon as you go back in (meaning it's impossible to get a sneak attack in, or kite them). Very frustrating. :(

Nice to hear that the leveling system doesn't penalize your [FOO] specialized character for not micromanaging gains in every single non-FOO skill in order to maximize stat gains. :)

My friend is playing through as a sneaky archer type character and doesn't seem have too much issue at the moment. Bows + stealth are quite strong. I don't think you totally want to rely on just bows and stealth though. He is pimping out his light armor perks and is using 2 daggers for when shit gets up in his face. He's had to use stuff like the staff that summons a demon pet for a few things but then again, so have I and I'm running full heavy armor and shield.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:21 am

Gracerath wrote:
Aubade wrote:
Gracerath wrote:I just have to say that a full dwarven heavy armor set is one of the coolest armor sets in any game I've ever seen.

Daedric Armor, not only is it the best Heavy Armor in the game, It's the most bad-ass.

sahiel wrote:Oh, and not sure about this but I think any weapons you upgrade at the Skyforge appear to get a free level of quality.

Nope. It's dependent on your skill level , and whether or not you have any "Armor improves by XX% when you craft/upgrade it" Enchants on any of your gear, or the elixirs/draughts/philters for it.

That being said. YAYYY FINALLY GOT 100 SMITHING WOOOOOOO

Oh awesome. I was curious what the daedric armor looked like. It is indeed awesome, but I still like the Dwarven better. However, I wont feel bad upgrading to that when its time. I was worried it might not look all that good and I'd be stuck with something stupid just because the stats are way better.

I'm having a total blast with the game. I just spent the entire day playing. Time just flew by. I have an awesome recharagable grand soul gem that only accepts human souls. That is awesome cause its pretty easy to go find a bandit somewhere to recharge it. I came across a few more awesome things too, like a sweet staff that summons a pretty bad ass demon guy with a sword.

Something interesting you guys may or may not know is how a dungeon scales its enemies. The very first time you set foot inside an enclosed area with enemies (caves, towers, keeps, dungeons, etc) the level is set. For example, I discovered an underwater keep when I was around level 10 and I went inside but left without doing anything. I ended up getting a quest to go back there while I was at level 25. The enemies were apprentice mages shooting frost from their hands and being one shot by my melee swings without even a charge up. I like that and then again I don't. On the one hand, if an area is too hard, it is totally possible to leave and come back in a few levels and you'll have an advantage. On the other, you could just explore everywhere you can in the early levels, enter and exit and then come back later on as you get quests for the area and then McSmoke everything there with ease. I'm not sure if that is really a big deal cause that would take several hours of exploring to accomplish but you know someone out there is doing just that. However, I guess its just like a cheat code. Its a choice and you don't have to use it.

There are so many interesting things in the world. I've solved a murder mystery, joined the dark brotherhood (and boy, my first kill was not stealthy at all), brought lovers together, became leader of the Companions, got married, found some neat NPC teammates, sat and listened to bards sing in taverns and so much more. For the amount of content, this has to be the best bargain for my dollar in a long time.

Maybe it's just me but I reallllly didn't like the dwarven Armor, it felt too.....Grand. like it should be a show-piece, not an actual armor set. And the Daedric armor burns. the red in the chestpiece moves around. Also; how did you get married? and can I marry another girl?
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Gracerath » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:26 am

You visit the temple of Mara in Riften and talk to the main priest dude about marriage. He may or may not be in the temple. He was waiting at the inn giving a speech to a crowd trying to save their souls or something.

Its pretty easy overall. You talk to the dude about marriage, you wear an Amulet of Mara out and about (supposedly you can buy one from one of the people in the temple, I already had one somehow). This signifies to the populace that you are "available" and then you just kinda pick someone you like and talk to them and you can get married. Its kind of lame, honestly. There is no romance. Just a "hey, is that an amulet of mara? are you interested in me?" "yes" "Ok lets get married"

I'm pretty sure you can get married to the same sex. Marriage has its perks. My wife opened up a shop and I can ask her if we've made any money and she gives me my share. Its actually kind of sad though. Like I said, there is no real romance or anything. You don't have the option to have a discussion with your spouse or give them gifts that you may have come across in your travels. (I'm so loaded down with jewelry, I should open MY own store). The wife sounds so endearing when you walk in and start a chat with her or when you leave. "Hello/goodbye, my love." Your chat options are basically "where's my share?" and "can you make me dinner?" Yes, I'm serious about the last one.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:55 am

I'm quite sure that there will be dozens of romance-related mods eventually.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Gracerath » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:10 am

Passionario wrote:I'm quite sure that there will be dozens of romance-related mods eventually.

Oh, I'm sure. It is just a little surprising, that's all. There is tons of great dialogue in game for so many other situations. It just seems like this was a big oversight and feels strange that it isn't already a part of the game. Still, its such a minor gripe that it doesn't really bother me in any significant way.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Doz » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:00 am

Gracerath wrote:
Kelaan wrote:Can you actually easily complete major quests as a sneaky archer type character, though? I recall starting a character in Oblivion, archering the SHIT out of world mobs, and then going into an oblivion gate where the guards chase you to the door, never reset aggro, and are like "OHAI! /squish" as soon as you go back in (meaning it's impossible to get a sneak attack in, or kite them). Very frustrating. :(

Nice to hear that the leveling system doesn't penalize your [FOO] specialized character for not micromanaging gains in every single non-FOO skill in order to maximize stat gains. :)

My friend is playing through as a sneaky archer type character and doesn't seem have too much issue at the moment. Bows + stealth are quite strong. I don't think you totally want to rely on just bows and stealth though. He is pimping out his light armor perks and is using 2 daggers for when shit gets up in his face. He's had to use stuff like the staff that summons a demon pet for a few things but then again, so have I and I'm running full heavy armor and shield.

No problems at all with my sneaky archer, single targets usually are dead before they ever see me / get to me. Groups can be tricky but they are usually a bunch of weak (1 shot kills) and 1 big baddie, so you can shoot-n-scoot to get them down. I also have the 1-hand (dagger) perks that are insanely powerful just for fun, if I get tired of shootin arrows. My favorite part after a big battle is checking out the corpses and critiqing my bow aim - "ok, thats 2 torso shots, an eye, a mouth, knee, and an ass. good deal"

And best light armor I've seen yet is the Nightblade set, so cool! ;)
Doz

Postby fafhrd » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:28 am

Gracerath wrote:

I think you're misinterpreting this, I think the level is set based on when you get the quest, not when you visit the area. I'm fairly sure that for that level 10 keep, if you hadn't visited the first time and left, but had just gotten a quest for "go to these hills and explore this keep", then the enemies in it would have been around level 10 even if you came back 30 levels later and zoned in for the first time as a level 40. It's just that in some cases the quest assignment happens as you discover the area, whereas for all the quests that start with an NPC saying "go here", the assignment is independent of visiting the area. A friend of mine was actually complaining that when he went back to do all the early quests he'd gotten and ignored, they were all too low level to be a challenge, implying the enemy levels are set earlier even though he hadn't visited the areas.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

Postby Vanifae » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:50 am

I love this game.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Gracerath » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:05 pm

fafhrd wrote:
Gracerath wrote:

I think you're misinterpreting this, I think the level is set based on when you get the quest, not when you visit the area. I'm fairly sure that for that level 10 keep, if you hadn't visited the first time and left, but had just gotten a quest for "go to these hills and explore this keep", then the enemies in it would have been around level 10 even if you came back 30 levels later and zoned in for the first time as a level 40. It's just that in some cases the quest assignment happens as you discover the area, whereas for all the quests that start with an NPC saying "go here", the assignment is independent of visiting the area. A friend of mine was actually complaining that when he went back to do all the early quests he'd gotten and ignored, they were all too low level to be a challenge, implying the enemy levels are set earlier even though he hadn't visited the areas.

That is possible but like I said, I had entered that keep long before having a quest for it, back around level 10. I then got a quest to go there at level 25ish and they were all pretty low level appearing enemies. If the level was set upon me accepting the quest, they should have been much more difficult. Hell, random bandit chiefs I run into out in the wild were harder than the entirety of that dungeon. It wasn't a random "hey, since you're here, go explore this" quest. It was pretty specific and out of the way as I got it.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Aubade wrote:Maybe it's just me but I reallllly didn't like the dwarven Armor, it felt too.....Grand. like it should be a show-piece, not an actual armor set.

Amusingly, I just made a full set of Dwarven armour.... solely to put it on a mannequin in my house in Windhelm, looks great! :D
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:44 pm

Doz wrote:
Gracerath wrote:

No problems at all with my sneaky archer, single targets usually are dead before they ever see me / get to me. Groups can be tricky but they are usually a bunch of weak (1 shot kills) and 1 big baddie, so you can shoot-n-scoot to get them down. I also have the 1-hand (dagger) perks that are insanely powerful just for fun, if I get tired of shootin arrows. My favorite part after a big battle is checking out the corpses and critiqing my bow aim - "ok, thats 2 torso shots, an eye, a mouth, knee, and an ass. good deal"

And best light armor I've seen yet is the Nightblade set, so cool! ;)

I'm not having Amy trouble as an archer either. The bows in Skyrim hurt a buttload more than they did in morrowind and oblivion with the perks and enchants, and I generally use it as a withering hail and if they get through the storm I've grabbed the light armor, alteration and one handed perks so I'll pop some extra weight free armor class and go to town with a pair of daggers. Flee enchanted are also pretty good for gaining distance as is Unrelenting Force.

I fuckin love unrelenting force.
Levantine

Postby Aergis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Woot! Block finally to 100. Now like aubade I've been pretty invincible at 30, even toe to toe melee with Giants is pretty easy.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:25 pm

so iow you are now block capped?

and here i thought there werent paladins in the Elder Scrolls

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games