Remove Advertisements

Reurning tank totally confused

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Reurning tank totally confused

Postby blinkey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:02 am

Hi,

In WoTLK I used to be MT and regular reader on these forums (although don't think I have ever posted before). Shortly after Cata was released I stopped playing WoW for various reasons but recently returned. Upon my return I was informed by a few people that everything had totally changed "mastery is a waste of time, you need to stack dodge and parry for Firelands". Stupidly I listened and now find that I seem to die a lot more, and after reading a few posts and stuff about what stats to go for, I am really mind screwed. So after reading a post by a new player and seeing the very nice and helpful replies (not the insulting replies normally seen on some sites), I have now decided to finally post on here in the hope I can get the help I need to hopfully be as good, if not better, than I used to be (or think I was).

Firstly a armory link to my char:
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... den/simple

Think I have been doing ok with my gear and spec, but I am so totally baffled at moment about which stats to go for and which stats to sacrifice. I am wary of redoing gems, enchants and reforging again without getting some good solid and trustable advice first.

I know I am supposed to get to 102% mastery rating, but at the expense of what?, I'm also currently getting serious hit problems, so really need to up my hit rating, but again, at the expense of what?
I know avoidance is also important but with mastery, hit, dodge and parry where does stamina fit in?

Would really appretiate any and all advice

Thanks in advance :)
Good tanks are trained, awesome tanks are born that way
blinkey

Re: Reurning tank totally confused

Postby Flex » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:32 am

Ignore people that say Mastery is useless.

You're supposed to get to 102.4% combat table coverage using any combination of parry, dodge, block and miss (always 5%). So going by your numbers you are at 78.99%. Stamina isn't as important as it was in WotLK as for normal modes you typically get enough from gear and if you need more you can deal with trinkets.

For gemming
Yellow/Prismatic: Fractured Amberjewel
Blue: Puissant Dream Emerald
Red: Fine Ember Topaz

Talents:
Drop Hallowed Ground. Pick up Divine Guardian.

Hit/Expertise:
Don't worry about it. It shouldn't affect anything outside of tank transitions when the other tank forgets to hold back for a second or three.

If you aren't against grinding rep the Tol Barard faction has a trinket that is mastery passive with a spell resistance use that comes in very handy.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Zalaria » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:55 am

To add to Flex's post, prismatic sockets don't need prismatic gems (looking at your relic). You can put anything you want in there, which as Flex says would be a Fractured Amberjewel.

Also, many tankadins choose to take Pursuit of Justice, because 15% runspeed is awesome. You can get this with the second point from Hallowed Ground (the first goes to Divine Guardian per Flex's comments), and stealing a point from Rule of Law. Doing this also allows you to get the sexy 50 mastery enchant on your boots.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:19 pm

if your factions tends to have TB alot when you are on, the dailies on the main island (where the battles are held) are easy and fun to do as a tank

esp with the amount of undead :D

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby blinkey » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply and give me some great advice, so far i have made the following changes:-

Talent Changes
Dropped Hallowed Ground and taken a point out of Rule of Law, these have then been used to take Divine Gaurdian and Pursuit of Justice 2/2.

Gem Changes
Have taken the advice on Gems and now sockets are set up with: Blue - Puissant Dream Emerald, Red - Fine Ember Topaz, Yellow - Fractured Amberjewel.

Enchantg Changes
Replaced Lavawalker (+35 mastery & slight movement speed increase) on boots with +50 Mastery
Replaced the +50 Expertise on my bracers with +50 Dodge, Am aware it was not a recomendation but it brought my Dodge closer to my Parry and have read that due to the fact both dodge and parry suffer from diminishing returns it is a good idea to try and keep both around same level.

with these changes my stats now read:
Mastery = 44.95%
Parry = 16.98%
Dodge = 16.55%
+5.00% miss
Total = 83.48%

Also with Firelands Dailies finally complete i am once again working on TB rep, am currently just over 4k towards exaulted and new trinket :)

Questions

1. Is 102.4% avoidance/mitigation a target to aim for or a minimum requirement for raiding?

2. Have seen a talent spec that someone recomended to me that would require the following changes:-

Replace Guarded By The Light with Hallowed Ground (Personally not like this idea as the survivability is more use then the small increase in threat)
Take a point out of Rekoning and put it in to Rule of Law to go 3/3
Replace Eye For An Eye with Improved Judgement (As tanks spend most of our time getting punched in the face do I really need 20 yard range for judgements? if I have to tank something over a range greater than 10 yards i have Avengers Shield, Exorsism, and a Taunt).

what are your thoughts if any on these changes?

3. Should i replace Dazzling Shield glyph with Focused shield?

Thank you once again for your help, time and patience :)
Good tanks are trained, awesome tanks are born that way
blinkey

Postby bldavis » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:25 pm

102.4% is a goal, you are perfectly viable as a tank w/o being block-capped
being block capped just makes it so every hit is either a block or doesnt hit you at all

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Zalaria » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:56 pm

1. Yeah, 102.4 is a goal, not a requirement. I don't think you can get there without raiding.

- Keep GbtL
- Reckoning/RoL is up to you, but Reckoning is a little better
- I would pick Imp Judge over Eye for an Eye. Every bit of ranged helps for keeping adds on you, and e4ae does very little damage/threat over the course of a fight.

3. I prefer to have a 3-bounce shield to hit multiple trash mobs or boss adds. But this one's all up to you.

One more thing for your checklist - the reforger! Try to get mastery on as many pieces of gear as you can. For more reforging advice, see Digren's reforging guide.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:59 pm

a lil suprised no one has linked this yet...
MR ROBOT IS YOUR FRIEND!!!

bldavis

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:55 pm

bldavis wrote:a lil suprised no one has linked this yet...

That site isn't always accurate for tanks. It tells me my bis trinket is the brawler's trophy from Coren. :/
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Zalaria wrote:2.
- Keep GbtL
- Reckoning/RoL is up to you, but Reckoning is a little better
- I would pick Imp Judge over Eye for an Eye. Every bit of ranged helps for keeping adds on you, and e4ae does very little damage/threat over the course of a fight.

3. I prefer to have a 3-bounce shield to hit multiple trash mobs or boss adds. But this one's all up to you.

The advantage of RoL over Reckoning is Reckoning is just a DPS talent, whereas RoL increases the crit chance of WoG (and a few threat abilities) by 10%. It's for that 10% on WoG that I would recommend taking 3/3 RoL (with 1/2 Reck) vs 2/2 Reck.

I personally run 2/2 Eye vs 2/2 Imp Judge. Eye is very little damage (on the order of 1-2% over the course of an evening), but if you spend most of the time in the Boss' crotch, you're not going to need the increased range granted by Imp Judge at all, and extra damage is still free damage. This is really a quality of life issue and depends heavily on the content you are doing, and what job you're having to do. I've never found myself unable to pick up an add because I didn't have enough range on my judgement.

I've also run with the Focused Shield glyph for a few months now. I run two prot specs -- I glyphed Focused Shield on one, and did not on the other, anticipating that I would miss the bounce. I haven't. I honestly haven't felt the need to change specs in several months.

If you are gearing purely for raid tanking, I personally would change some of the reforging you did -- specifically out of any threat stats (hit, expertise), such as on your ring, cloak, and shield. Numerically it might make sense for a piece (e.g., if you gain more Combat Table Coverage by reforging the Dodge or Parry, instead of the Hit), but personally I find it somewhat less efficient.

You also have a green gem in the yellow slot in your boots, which I'd personally swap for a pure Yellow.

It's probably too late to return the badge neck you purchased in lieu of the purchasable BoE so you could spend your VP on tier pieces instead (the pants in particular are a nice upgrade); there are crafted Boots you might consider as well, if you've got particularly deep pockets.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:39 am

Nikachelle wrote:
bldavis wrote:a lil suprised no one has linked this yet...

That site isn't always accurate for tanks. It tells me my bis trinket is the brawler's trophy from Coren. :/

if you have adjusted it at all, it tends to keep those settings for a long ass time

but it works for reforging, which is what i use it for mostly, not gear advice

bldavis

Postby Calleana » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:31 am

Mr Robot is pretty helpful for those just starting out or to play around with different gear pieces to see how you could reforge to get to 102.4 coverage.

@Blinky- If you are going to be running heroics to get your weekly valour points I reccomend sorting out a set that contains hit/ exepertise as weel as a normal raiding set (a lot of the gear will cross over) as DPS will often not wait for you to establish threat (or even hit the mobs!)
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Return to Basic Training & Talents