Horde Tankadins

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Horde Tankadins

Postby Haztank » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:32 am

Hi Folks

I recently transfered to Horde after a long time as a Human Paladin Tank. It was all done in a bit of a hurry and so the only research I did in terms of Tauren vs Blood Elf was a quick google search (which didn't yield any up to date results) and then checking Paragons Pally Tank on the armoury.

I went Blood Elf, as per Lazil (sp?), but now I have more time to reflect as to whether that was the optimum choice or whether it just doesn't matter.

The BE racial does seem to have some modest advantage at time of low mana (rare) or times when I'm desperate for a silence (just as rare with the rebuke changes), but I can't help thinking that the Tauren hp increase outweighs this.

Does anyone have any insight? If the truth is that the differences are largely irrelevant then I think I'll switch anyway, Taurens are just cooler.

Thanks in advance.
Haztank

Re: Horde Tankadins

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:16 am

I don't believe the minor increase to base HP makes all that much difference when you're 85 and have over 150k hp from gear unaffected by the racial. Honestly, for Paladin tanks the Horde racials are nothing in comparison to what the Alliance get (Stoneform, Gift of the Naaru, or PvP trinket, and the free hit or expertise), and it's largely irrelevant.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Jeremoot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:31 am

The Tauren racial is about 2000 hp, the Belf racial is an extra AoE silence that I use nearly every time I tank. As Kysen said, neither are anything too spectacular. If I were you I would just pick whichever race you find the most aesthetically pleasing.*

*Personally, I love my cow brethren, but I hate playing them. They're big so they appear to move slow and it bugs me.
Jeremoot

Postby Treck » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:17 am

The tauren racial is better "overall", that means its always going to be good (or atleast usefull, its not very strong)
While the Belf racials are more situational, and maybe not all that usefull everywhere.

But the differance when your tauren is very small and in most cases not noticable.
However, WHEN the belf racials are good, they are really really good.
So, tauren racial is always usefull, and Belf racial is very good, sometimes.

So its more about if you wanna have an ok racial all the time, or a really good sometimes.
Treck

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:10 pm

It is a quality of life thing. Some extra stam is nice, but you're never going to notice it since it is completely passive.

Arcane Torrent is an active ability, and when you use it when you need it, it is the bee's knees. If you don't want to think about your racials at all, then you're better off being a dumb cow.

PS. I am not racist against Tauren. Some of my best raiders are cows.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:28 pm

it really comes down to if you use your racials
as a human did you use every man for himself?
if yes, go belf and you will love arcane torrent
if no go tauren and enjoy your slightly boosted health

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Calleana » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:22 am

Belfs just look better in armour.

One of my raiders changes whatever tank he is playing (druid or dk) to a tauren for the extra hp but I think Treck has summed it up. Belfs racials are very good some of the time. Taurens are ok all of the time.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Newsom » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:59 pm

The main reason I went Tauren is actually because of War Stomp. An AOE stun is more useful than you'd think (Ragnaros adds, any trash/dungeon mobs that are stunnable, Maloriak adds, etc.) It's not like we don't have enough interrupts now with AS and Rebuke.

Also, Tauren are just plain awesome.
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Fenrìr » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:10 am

Anti-cow movement!

But seriously...I hate taurens.

Now on topic, it really doesn't make any difference. In exactly the same gear and buffs, the notice isn't there. Compared to my tauren warrior tank, I have more HP due to my choice of a stam trinket compared to his dual mastery ones. The HP bonus for the burger race is, if I'm not mistaken, to base health (meaning naked).

No racial is ground breaking or game changing, it's all a matter of preference. And to me, if I'm raiding for 4 hours, it's going to behind what I find somewhat appealing rather than awful looking and something I don't enjoy glancing at occasionally.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:41 pm

After getting used to Arcane Torrent, I really cannot imagine playing anything other than a Blood Elf Paladin. Being able to stop everything in melee range from casting is so useful, in 5 mans and in raids.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Kuridan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:08 am

Newsom wrote:The main reason I went Tauren is actually because of War Stomp. An AOE stun is more useful than you'd think (Ragnaros adds, any trash/dungeon mobs that are stunnable, Maloriak adds, etc.) It's not like we don't have enough interrupts now with AS and Rebuke.

Also, Tauren are just plain awesome.

Except war stomp has a cast time and if you are getting hit it gets pushed back, not to mention you are no longer parrying or dodging.
Kuridan

Postby Sagara » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:09 am

And to add to Arcane Torrent Goodness, it's just THAT good to get those pesky casters to FOLLOW when you need to get out of oshitAoEthathurtslikeafreighttrain!
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby bldavis » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:33 am

i think the consensus is Redeemed Light Stealer > HOLY COW BATMAN!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Return to Basic Training & Talents