Remove Advertisements

Anonymous vs Zetas Cartel, rest of alphabet put on notice.

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Anonymous vs Zetas Cartel, rest of alphabet put on notic

Postby Kelaan » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:54 pm

That, and at times the degree of our nation's racism and xenophobia has historically been so much that it is almost hard to believe. I know that we had posters about things like that, but what boggles my mind is that people actually believed it! I just don't get it! :) Then again, you can say almost the same thing about the covers of sci-fi/comics from sixty years ago.
Kelaan

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:46 pm

Belloc wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:That's not at all accurate. Pot is illegal because society hasn't felt compelled to make it legal, and you won't achieve that by pointing to one of the millions of things that are "worse" than pot.
To be fair, what you said is not at all accurate, either. Pot is illegal because the government had an anti-black, anti-mexican agenda when the issue was brought before them. Had this country not been racist, the drug would not be illegal.

Oh please, if that were the case then it would have been legalized a very long time ago. To suggest that those who used race as a card to play in it, makes race a primary reason for it's legal status doesn't stand up to common sense. Pot hasn't really had wide legal acceptance in the US for recreational use since the end of the 1800s.

Gab wrote:Actually Belloc is correct unfortunately. Most of the anti marijuana legislation started from Harry J. Anslinger's, the first Commissioner of the U.S. Treasury Department's Federal Bureau of Narcotics, desire to make a name for himself and he definitely pulled the race card.
As I said earlier, pot was already illegal by this time for recreational use in many states and other countries not to mention that alcohol was illegal too. Anslinger wanted marijuana illegal in it's entirety.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Kelaan » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:54 am

No, it became that way early on because of the race issue. It's stayed that way because it's a way to exercise power, and reap funding and votes due to the war on drugs. :-) I can't see it as being about race now, but the hysteria about it was certainly a factor. Recall that people were stupid here about race through the 60s (and a few still are), and also that at the time Cocaine was sold in drug stores, used in sodas, and was not really seen as the life-destroying drug that we now consider it to be. Pot was banned not for health reasons, but for a combination of the fact that mainly the immigrants used it and that for a time sobriety was ostensibly our national pastime.
Kelaan

Postby alayire » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:11 am

to be honest, the way I heard it the movement to make pot illegal started as a push to collapse the hemp industry in favor of the cotton one.
Hemp is the common term used for cannabis sativa plant. Now the funny thing is that cannabis sativa is a plant family witch contains 3 subspecies : sativa, indica and ruderalis. out of these 3 only indica has a significantly higher concentration of THC ranging from 2% naturally to over 20% modified, while the sativa has something like 0.3%.

Cannabis sativa is one of the faster growing biomasses known(surpassing cotton) and very environmentally friendly as it requires few pesticides and no herbicides(major plus) and every part of this plant had/has industrial or medicinal use, thus producing no waste. it was used primarily for it's fibers which were used for textiles, rope and paper. anywho.

before "90, cannabis was grown industrially in my country and I specifically remember some foods that used cannabis seeds. never ever heard there being any problem and being a communist state any such problems were harshly dealt with and made public. after the fall of communism, cannabis production died out but very silently and I was stupefied to find out it was outright banned sometime before 2000. I personally never knew it's ties to drug usage until I started digging why it was banned. If you ask me it's quite stupid, but then again it's easy to abuse a system and illegally grow indica for marihuana or hashish. funny that China of all countries has no such problems.
alayire

Postby Passionario » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:13 am

To paraphrase Roland of Gilead, I don't see why anyone would choose to take recreational drugs in a world where MMORPGS are legally available. :)
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:00 am

As blasphemous as it is... some people don't "do" video games...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:05 am

Passionario wrote:To paraphrase Roland of Gilead, I don't see why anyone would choose to take recreational drugs in a world where MMORPGS are legally available. :)

It doesn't matter if you see the value in it. You don't have to understand other people's idea of freedom to respect it.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to Arkham Asylum