Remove Advertisements

Tavarok in Heroic Mana Tombs

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tavarok in Heroic Mana Tombs

Postby Taoden » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:55 pm

I'm just curious if anyone has any suggestions for this guy aside from getting better gear.

I read somewhere on this forum that people thought it was a bit ridiculous that he could hit tanks for 8k with arcing smash. I actually expected that to be an exaggeration. Last night I joined a PUG for the daily heroic for my first attempt at heroic mana tombs. Everything went pretty well until we got to this guy. It seems that before 50% his arcing smash only hits me for 3k or so, but after 50% it starts hitting me for more like 12k (max was 12.2k after blocked damage). We had a DPS warrior in the group so I asked him to put up commanding shout and keep demoralizing shout up as well. I was sitting around 15.5k hp buffed and 13k armor. The demoralizing shout brought the damage down from 12k to about 9k but that still wasn't enough to make a difference. The first arcing smash that landed after he hit 50% still killed me every time.

It seems to me like this fight is really biased towards druids and warriors with demoralizing shout/roar (taking 3k damage off of that attack is HUGE). Warriors also have shield wall and last stand to get them through the second half of the fight and at the level of gear that I'd expect for heroics the much higher HP and armor of a bear druid would probably keep them alive as well.
Taoden

Postby Zeels » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:12 am

You seem to have good enough gear. I've done it with similar gear.

1. Use stoneshield potions or similar
2. Use nighmare seed
3. Use loh if you have to
4. Get a better healer
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Balls » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:08 am

You're having trouble with Tavarok yet you survived Pandemonious? How does that work?
Balls

Postby Taoden » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:11 pm

Not sure, Pandemonius just didn't seem to be as bad as people made him out to be, we took him out in 1 shot. A friend of mine told me he usually runs with a DPS that can help heal for Tavarok to keep the tank topped off which probably would have worked for my PUG if I had asked the elemental shaman to help out.
Taoden

Postby Wakeman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Heroic Tavarok is ridiculous. I tanked it once when I had ~13k hp and 12k armor. It did not hit hard initially, but when it was down to about 50% it landed a ~8k arcing blow and I was killed within a few seconds. Then our duel wield enhance shaman with full pvp epics took over the tanking. He tanked it till Tavarok was about ~10%, and was killed by a 12k arcing blow. He poped immediately and together with other crazy dps killed Tavorok! :lol:

On the other hand, Pandemous is a piece of cake if you and your team know when to stop attack and you know where to stand to prevent knock back. Shadow resist aura and priest shadow resist buff help too.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Rokh » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:22 am

Balls wrote:You're having trouble with Tavarok yet you survived Pandemonious? How does that work?

If you think Pandemonius is hard you seriously need to get some SR gear.. just try 'Shadow Protection" in the AH... get anything, even cloth.

with almost 400 SR i have mana problems on Pandemonius..

Back to topic though, I -Love- Heroic mana tombs, i got consortium exaulted and got my Yor key.. prolly ran it 20 or more times, i cant say how much i love this instance...

And i do believe the 2nd bosses HP is directly related to his cleave damage. I have been hit for 16k when he was around 5% hp.

I know that info doesnt help much, but its still an exciting fight.. and even if you do die, his hp is so low normaly your dps can just burn him down.
Rokh

Postby Tekkel » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:57 am

The problem with tavarok is the arcing smash after an earthquake. If he can get that in while u don't have holy shield up it can instagib u if not topped off. Make sure your healer always tops u when the earthquake happens. The usually go heal melee right after while u are more vulnerable at that point.
Tekkel

Postby Arcand » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:51 am

Balls wrote:You're having trouble with Tavarok yet you survived Pandemonious?

I fear Tavarok quite a bit more than Pandemonius. Tavarok can pump out brutal amounts of tank and group damage even if you're doing everything right.
Arcand

Postby Exodius » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:15 am

I had a warrior with about 13k buffed health tank this while I healed on my priest. He knew the damage would be increased as the fight went on...

But honestly, I couldn't see any difference from a healing perspective. He might have sheild walled or something in the last few seconds. The boss went down on the first try without too much stress. Beats me how he did it. :?
Exodius

Postby Rokh » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:51 pm

The arcing smash is on a 25-30 second timer, you can get lucky some times and get a smash around 40% hp, then kill him with seconds left before his next smash.. always makes me smile
Rokh

Postby Doomenpally » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:07 am

You guys are having trouble with tavarok? The rock guy? I have never had any trouble with him at all. I have about 12k hp unbuffed, 103% avoidance, and am uncrittable. I find him to be one of the easiest bosses in all heroics. Am I crazy?

Pandemonius on the other hand I find can be hard, and the last boss is easily in the top 3 hardest heroic bosses.
Doomenpally

Postby Balls » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:23 am

Sorry I wasn't paying attention to this thread but anyway, I've always thought of Pandemonious as the hardest boss in Heroic Mana Tombs.

Tavarok has always been a matter of a tank and spank for me, I've never eaten any huge arcing blows like the ones you mention

And Shaffar fights are guaranteed to wipe the gorup. We'll kill him but we all die in the process >_>.
Balls

Postby Wakeman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:22 pm

Doomenpally wrote:You guys are having trouble with tavarok? The rock guy? I have never had any trouble with him at all. I have about 12k hp unbuffed, 103% avoidance, and am uncrittable. I find him to be one of the easiest bosses in all heroics. Am I crazy?

Pandemonius on the other hand I find can be hard, and the last boss is easily in the top 3 hardest heroic bosses.

You are not crazy. You are lucky.
Read the few posts above you.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Zhelari » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:33 am

Yeah, very lucky indeed. That is one of the few heroics I just refuse to do ever again. As much as I would like to get that shield, the amount of effort doesn't justify the rewards. :D
Zhelari - 70 BE Tankadin - Skullcrusher (US)
Zhelari

Postby Donjuan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:57 am

he typically only does one arcing smash in my fights, enough for me and my healer to easily recover from. I remeber when i was more geared like you that the big hit from the rock guys was very, very scary for me and my group , but i was ok even then since he only done it once or max twice, but always with enuff time ine between to get healed to full again.

You need to be fully buffed if you that undereared. I suggest elxir of agility and defense, spicy crawdad food , scroll of prot 5, scroll of stam 5 (or priest fort spell), bok, devo aura and then pop greater stonehsield pot when the rock guys is at 50%hp and pop a nightmare seed as soon as u take the huge arcing smash. Ofcourse rember you can use lay on hands too, if u notice that u badly low on hp.

EDIT: I just rechecked your stats, and you not as undergeard as i was thinkingm (no where near) for some reason i wasthinking you had 12k hp buffed 0o, not sure why, anyway thats where the undergeared comment came from. seems to me you just got unlucky with pug group. They probably didnt have enuff dps or healing prowess.
Donjuan

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics