Remove Advertisements

Need some ideas for farming.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Need some ideas for farming.

Postby Baneslayer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:32 am

So guys I have the best guild ever! (Incite Mayhem for the win!) full of great people and great progression. I have been in this guild for close to 8 months or so and I noticed we have a lack of farmers in the guild to make sure we are equipped for raids.

I decided to become apart of the solution and I am trying to figure out the best ways to farm things for my guild. Here is what I got skill wise:

-I am the guild blacksmith, I have great patterns (almost all of the Firelands patterns) and great tanking gear. So I can farm up orbs like a madman. Especially since I love tanking. Which would be better for farming up orbs? Running regular heroics or ZA/ZG ones?

-I have max level jewelcrafting and several patterns. I am already religiously doing the JC daily to save up for epic gem cuts come 4.3. So there is that.

-I have max level secondary professions. So I can farm up for fish feast and the like, and help my guild out that way. But I haven't the slightest clue where the best place to get the required mats are. I checked out Wowhead.. .but everyone keeps saying it's one thing or another. Can anyone give me a definite answer?

-I do have a rogue with max level alchemy. But I really hate farming for flask. :x I wonder if buying mats raw on the AH would be a better bet. Besides we can work towards the big battle cauldron achievement is we all tried.

Any advice would be great, because I really want to contribute to my virtual home.
Baneslayer

Re: Need some ideas for farming.

Postby Shoju » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:38 am

Regular Heroics, just due to speed.
I farm my fish from ZG. Gub. I can't tell you much past that, as I haven't done much fishing in cata, but Gub will have 18-20 of a type of fish, and you can solo him. I always let the group drop, and then go kill him for fish :)
I herb on a random hunter alt. With the guild perk it really isn't that bad to farm up enough herbs for cauldrons.
Shoju

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:44 am

Fish for the seafood magnifique are 2 of fathom eel, highland guppy and lavascale catfish for 1 feast.

Best places (that I have found) for the fish are:

- highland guppy in Twilight Highlands
- fathom eel in Tol Barad plus you get the wreckage nodes as well there and they're great for additional crafting mats. Make sure you pick up water walking potions to make this INCREDIBLY easy fishing.
- lavascale catfish - this one is a bastard, since there are no nodes. People seem to report they get it the most in fishing open water in Uldum.

Edit: I no longer fish though - I've started paying a friend to do it for my guild. He doesn't mind it and I personally don't want to spend hours doing it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Zalaria » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:50 am

If you were to ask this in the Making Gold on the AH thread, they would tell you to put your time into making gold, then just buy what you need. You end up spending less time and coming out with more product.

Of course that doesn't apply to Chaos orbs until 4.3 hits, so you'll still have to grind heroics for them.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Shyrtandros » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:53 am

Zalaria wrote:If you were to ask this in the Making Gold on the AH thread, they would tell you to put your time into making gold, then just buy what you need. You end up spending less time and coming out with more product.

Of course that doesn't apply to Chaos orbs until 4.3 hits, so you'll still have to grind heroics for them.

This x2
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Kelaan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:12 am

Baneslayer wrote:Which would be better for farming up orbs? Running regular heroics or ZA/ZG ones?

Normal heroics are faster to complete, so you get more chances per hour to win orbs. If you go with a guild group, you even ensure that they'll stay in-guild (in theory) once they become BoE.

-I have max level secondary professions. So I can farm up for fish feast and the like, and help my guild out that way. But I haven't the slightest clue where the best place to get the required mats are. I checked out Wowhead.. .but everyone keeps saying it's one thing or another. Can anyone give me a definite answer?

AH? ;)

I do have a rogue with max level alchemy. But I really hate farming for flask. :x I wonder if buying mats raw on the AH would be a better bet.

It's rare that your farming is more efficient than professional farmers, so I buy on the AH. Watch prices at http://theunderminejournal.com and snatch a bunch when it's low priced. Be patient. I tend to think similarly ("buy on the AH") for most farmable things, mind you - and consider that it's easier to make money with professions and spend it than to use that time to farm mats myself. I have a miner (two, in fact), but buy my ore in batches when it's cheap. Your mileage will vary, however. (I'm an AH noob, but have been at this long enough to have systems in place enough to be comfortable doing that.)

Most importantly, why are you doing this? What does your guild need?

Does the guild raid? Do they need cauldrons? Does everyone feel that way? Our guild handled it by having an alchemist in each raid, and each player had to give them a flask at the start of the (3 hour) run. That way, raiders effectively self-funded cauldron flasks. If you don't have the recipes yet, you could consider talking with the guild about "Let's all pitch in to get awesome flasks": We need to craft X more, and if we craft equal amounts of each that will fund our raiding for all of 4.3/etc. If 5.0 hits before you use them all up (possible!), you might be able to distribute the remainder among those who contributed, too.

Your guildmates may have gathering alts out of guild that they'd be willing to use to help farm mats if you made a Friday Night Farm-a-thon event -- drinking and trivia and prizes for whoever controbutes the most. (I say "contribute" rather than "farm" because the guild benefits whether someone picks herbs or buys 10000 of them on the AH.) They might have crafters out of guild that would be willing to do their flask-crafting in-guild so as to get you the cheevo faster, etc.
Kelaan

Postby Kelaan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:13 am

Shoju wrote:Gub will have 18-20 of a type of fish, and you can solo him.

!!!
Awesome! :D And then from there, can you get to the master chef? :D
Kelaan

Postby Flex » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:20 am

Don't fish. Do you have any max level Inscribblers in the guild?

In the time it would take to fish up enough fish to make a decent amount of fish for the fish feasts you can herb up a ton of weeds, make fortune cards and make fortune cookies to supply a 10 man raid for a few weeks/months.

If the above does not apply level up a DK or Shaman to do your fishing, makes it much easier to do Tol Barad.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby poptart » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:22 am

Nikachelle wrote:- lavascale catfish - this one is a bastard, since there are no nodes. People seem to report they get it the most in fishing open water in Uldum.

I find that fishing the lava pool at Deathwing's Demise in Deepholme is a pretty sweet spot. Lots of non-aggro spots from the blood and a pretty high catch rate of Catfish.

Poptart
poptart

Postby Cogglamp » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:31 am

I think you're going to find yourself quickly burned out by trying to do everything that you listed above. I think it would be a better use of your time to focus on 2 or 3 of the things and delegate the rest or ask your GM to delegate for you.

Between fishing, herbing, running heroics, crushing ore, crafting, there isn't much time for you to actually do what you enjoy. If you do have that much time ingame to farm for hours on end, you'd be better off spending that time learning the ways of barons and goblins by building yourself a nest egg, working the AH and just buying the stuff that you need to supply your guild with.

We have a dedicated AH thread here that will help you out. We've helped lots of people reach their ingame goals. Plus, we need some fresh meat. We've run out of things to talk about and have resorted to Pokemon speculation lately. Patch 4.3, wherefore art thou?
Cogglamp

Postby Kelaan » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 pm

Cogglamp wrote:I think you're going to find yourself quickly burned out by trying to do everything that you listed above. I think it would be a better use of your time to focus on 2 or 3 of the things and delegate the rest or ask your GM to delegate for you.

This is very insightful, and I didn't say it as well as Cogg did. :)

You can't do it all. You shouldn't do it all. If the raid team wants flasks or feasts, talk (as a team) about what it will cost to make it happen. While AH flask costs often look to be much less than mats cost (at least on my server!), you'll probably want to make them in-guild so as to unlock the recipe. Guild perks enable you to get 10 people flasked for 2 hours. That said, look carefully at the cost (in mats) to unlock guild cauldrons, versus just making plain 1H flasks and using those for the remainder of the expansion.

Worst-case, unlocking the Cauldron of Battle recipe requires making 1000 flasks; you could do that to subsidize the cost of making 250 cauldrons of battle. Take your raiding hours per week and divide by two, multiply by weeks until 5.0, and that's roughly how many cauldrons your guild would be able to use in that time. My guild uses ~4 cauldrons/week for normal raids, and off-night raids use them about half the time too, so say five cauldrons per week for us. 250 cauldrons would last us a whole year. When do we expect Pandaclysm?

My server's herb prices make each flask average out to ~120g/each to craft (130 for two flavors, 110 for two flavors), so it would cost (on my server!) roughly 120,000 gold (!!!) for the guild to unlock cauldrons from scratch. If your guild has alchemists, chances are they've made it much easier to get to 1000 flasks, so the cost would be less. If people balk at the cost of flasks, examine the costs for getting everyone elixir'ed up to the gills. On farm raids, elixirs are often very very cost effective, though the benefit is less.

You might even consider asking an alchemist to hop guild to one where they DO have the recipe available for a while, grind friendly rep, and then come back, but that's likely problematic socially. It might be much much much cheaper, though, if you're not going to be able to use 250 cauldrons. However, if you're already close to unlocking them, I think that getting either the guild members or the guild bank to fund creation of flasks (and therefore the cauldrons) could work out to be cost effective, especially if the members are providing the mats.
Kelaan

Postby bldavis » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:57 pm

i really just farm for myself, but sadly recently i havent even had that much time

like other ppl have said, you will get burned out
pick one or 2 activities you enjoy, and do them

you have guildies for a reason

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Winkle » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:08 am

I find the best place to farm mats is the AH. Any reasonably sized guild makes a ton of gold, our 10man raiding guild has over 200k in the bank from selling BoE's. No one has to actually farm anything.
Winkle

Postby Crimsonheart » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:25 am

My guild bank also (from my work selling BOEs at high prices and buying low selling high our fish feast supplies) over 250k (10man guild). I usually just sell high buy low to resupply it, when we are low on supplies I farm ONLY highland guppies (they for some reason seem to be the rarer of the fish on our server) and then just sell them to buy others when needed. I keep an eye on the prices and often can buy fathom eels and lavascale catfish at 1/2 AH prices (and ill buy usually 20-30stacks at a time when I see them get low). half go to guild bank with guild bank funds, half i buy for myself with my own funds to resell at a later date.
Crimsonheart

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:29 am

We're still working on the guild fishing achievement... Occasionally I get bored and knock out a couple hundred, and it seems a couple other people have worked on it sporatically. I think it would help if there WERE pools for Lavascale. I prefer to fish in pools that can also make me money (generally Highland Guppies) and stash away mats for when we finally do get the feast (but Guppies are the only ones with pools of the fish feast mats.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General