Buying New Gaming PC, Looking for Opinions

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis, laterna

Re: Buying New Gaming PC, Looking for Opinions

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:47 am

Talaii wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:the CPU Cooler is with the assumption of overclocking, right?

And well, the only game I actually play is WoW, or I'd not be here =P

Also, I want to keep everything under $650... if it's under $600, even better.

Right. Get the cheapest phenom x4 bundle you can then, and buy the best video card you can afford. Putting wow on a SSD makes a big difference in loading times, but I doubt you can squeeze it into that budget.

Was thinking of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... mbo.759542

I have a 19" Widescreen so its not like I'm gonna be running at 1980x1080 (1400x900 max)
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Talaii » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:34 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Was thinking of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... mbo.759542

I have a 19" Widescreen so its not like I'm gonna be running at 1980x1080 (1400x900 max)

No idea how good (read: reliable) the Cougar power supplies are, we don't get them over here. It's 80+ certified at least, so it shouldn't be complete junk.

Apart from (possibly) that, it should run WoW fine at whatever - wow isn't exactly a system-intensive game now. A 6850 should actually run most games at 1920x1080 anyway, you'd just have to drop AA/AF a bit, and maybe drop some of the detail levels on the more demanding games. Since almost everything is a console port anyway, most games will just run smoothly whatever you do (or run terribly whatever you do, if it's ported badly).
Talaii

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:37 pm

Talaii wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Was thinking of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... mbo.759542

No idea how good (read: reliable) the Cougar power supplies are, we don't get them over here. It's 80+ certified at least, so it shouldn't be complete junk.

Apart from (possibly) that, it should run WoW fine at whatever - wow isn't exactly a system-intensive game now. A 6850 should actually run most games at 1920x1080 anyway, you'd just have to drop AA/AF a bit, and maybe drop some of the detail levels on the more demanding games. Since almost everything is a console port anyway, most games will just run smoothly whatever you do (or run terribly whatever you do, if it's ported badly).

WoW is the only game I play on a pc, seriously... and I was about to drop money on that system until I realized the hard drive that comes bundled is a piece of shit, literally. And no, its' not the size of it, but it's reliability. It seems it either arrives DoA or dies within 60 days...

For the record, I tend to only use Samsung and Hitachis on the rigs I've built over the years. I had a fileserver that I ran for almost 7 years, and I stopped using it because the motherboard and the PSU died on me, but the hard drives are still functional. I got emergency SATA and IDE enclosures to rescue data out of hard drives and all hard drives still work to this day. In fact, I repurposed an old P3 motherboard and loaded them up and got my fileserver up and running again before just shutting it down completely due to getting a new 2TB external drive and move all the data into that instead.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Previous

Return to Tech Stuff