Remove Advertisements

hmm ok then, this is so wrong.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

hmm ok then, this is so wrong.

Postby BlackNet » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:52 am

Perhaps this is in the wrong threat/forum, I don't know but here goes. If anyone does not agree with what I have to say then that is their right and they are entitled to it but I have to seriously question things.

I woke up way early this am and jumped in game, I was tanking the headless horseman today and my alarm clock went off during the fight. I went AFK to turn it off and get a glass of water before returning to the keyboard. Keep in mind this is while combat was going on. When I returned I still had aggro and never lost it.

The other week, think 2 weeks maybe? We were on baleroc in firelands and I went AFK there to and never lost aggro.

I have to admit here, tanks have a grossly unfair advantage over heals and dps with this simple afk tanking fact. Neither heals nor dps can go afk and still maintain their levels, NEITHER SHOULD TANKS. I personally find these threat changes offensive esp when I have to do nothing to maintain it, as it is now I can hit something 2-3 times TOPS and go AFK.

My understanding here is, correct me if I am wrong, there are many tanks who had serious problems keeping aggro that the dev's were forced to make changes to all tanks? I have video, world of logs reports and many countless people who can confirm that there are probably even more dps and healers who cant maintain their levels either, so by this logic does that mean dps and heals should get a massive buff so they to can go AFK during a fight and keep their numbers up there?

I also have to admit since the firelands nerf and the tank threat buff I am finding things less appealing. Before it was entertaining to keep on top of the TPS charts and even tho there were many problems, i.e. not enough threat at the start and to much in the middle/end that boss fights were somewhat boring after the start but now they are very boring from the start. Myself I am finding more enjoyment in trash than bosses.

Perhaps next time I will go take a shower, do laundry, run around the block, or find something else to do during a boss fight.
Uncomfortable truth : We're all pugs.
BlackNet

Re: hmm ok then, this is so wrong.

Postby Rhiannon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:06 am

Maintaining aggro is only a small portion of your job as a tank. Not so much in trivial content like headless horseman, but in raids with vengeance stacked it's sizeable. A tank doing 7k dps might not lose aggro, but doing 15k dps will be a lot more useful to your raid group. Similarly going afk is hardly going to help your healers keep you alive, as you're not using any cds or maintaining debuffs on the boss. If you're not doing content you overgear then this matters.

Threat stopped mattering a long time ago, way before the last buff. The other stuff's always been important and still is.
Rhiannon

Postby degre » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:11 am

This is maybe something that should go into viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5272 , however, I have to agree that there is a problem, you should not go AFK in a fight.

Threat issue is a know issue that has been discussed here for long.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby BlackNet » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:16 am

Obviously and clearly going AFK should not be done, however both of you over looked every single other point I brought up to nitpick something I did to spotlight a problem.
BlackNet

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:28 am

Blizz knows it's trivial to keep threat... they made the buff so those few people would stop worrying about it and could focus on survivability. At least until they change things up with the "active mitigation" that they want to implement. I'd imagine ~5.0, we'll be seeing some drastic changes "forcing" us to look into threat stats (even if they aren't so much required to keep threat as they are to keep our survivability stuff active.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Astronomic » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:31 am

Well you shield toters might be able to go afk I cant go afk as a bear or I become rather squishy due to the active nature of savage defense, even more so for DKs. Certain phases of a fight like that robot council in BWD where you cannot attack a boss even though hes beating on you are ratehr difficult for none blockers.
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby degre » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:34 am

BlackNet wrote:Obviously and clearly going AFK should not be done, however both of you over looked every single other point I brought up to nitpick something I did to spotlight a problem.

I also have replied to you, I'll bold it as it seems that you overlooked my reply to nitpick something I did to spotlight a problem.

degre wrote:This is maybe something that should go into viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5272 , however, I have to agree that there is a problem, you should not go AFK in a fight.

Threat issue is a know issue that has been discussed here for long.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby bldavis » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:20 am

Astronomic wrote:Well you shield toters might be able to go afk I cant go afk as a bear or I become rather squishy due to the active nature of savage defense, even more so for DKs. Certain phases of a fight like that robot council in BWD where you cannot attack a boss even though hes beating on you are rather difficult for non blockers.

this ^

its also part of the reason i enjoy being a bear

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby BlackNet » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:41 am

perhaps I should roll a bear tank.
BlackNet

Postby bldavis » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:58 am

BlackNet wrote:perhaps I should roll a bear tank.

yes..
come to the furry side

we have cookies! :twisted:

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Astronomic » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:13 am

bldavis wrote:
BlackNet wrote:we have cookies! :twisted:

My raid group doesnt have a lock :(
Astronomic

Postby Treck » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:14 am

You cannot seriously say you can do your job while still going afk in any relevant content.
Sure, you might "survive" even tho your stressing your healers.
But at the same time, cant a meele dps go afk midfight and still do some damage?
Sure, a healer going afk wont be doing anything, but then at the end of the fight, a healer could have gone afk for 30+sec, and not necessarily be noticed.

Even so, theres a very limited ammount of fights where you could even try this, not in any way gamebreaking imo.
Sure, the threat aspect is a bit boring these days, but its far from the only aspect of beeing a tank.
Lots of us are trying to challenge ourselves with doing dps instead, something that actually is usefull for the raid.
Not to mention you still have to manage your CDs while playing, going for dps might even make you more aware of the damage your taking, and make you better at managing your CDs, come future progress.
Treck

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:59 am

Personal note: by being afk you are nerfing your raid DPS. Your duty as tank is nowadays not to hold aggro but to contribute to the kill as much as possible!

The removal of threat didn't make DPS unimportant, in any serious content, the tank dps does matter so we are still encouraged to play at our best.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby bldavis » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:55 am

Astronomic wrote:
bldavis wrote:we have cookies! :twisted:

:shock:
have a mage?
you can bring the cake....>.>

bldavis

Postby Astronomic » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:15 pm

bldavis wrote:
Astronomic wrote:
bldavis wrote:we have cookies! :twisted:

:shock:
have a mage?
you can bring the cake....>.>

we already haz cake
Astronomic

Next

Return to General