Server issues

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Server issues

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:24 am

Ok... so I recently "inherited" a server that I'm trying to get people access to. It's running on Windows 2000 NT (I'm unable to update it at this time, and it's questionable if I'll ever be able to do so.)

My question:

Does anyone know why someone with permissions to access the server, would be able to do so from one computer, but not from another? Both are connected to the same network, it's just specific computers that for some reason are unable to access them. The weird part is they were able to access the server prior to getting upgraded to Windows Vista/7.

Error received: "The account is not authorized to logon to this server from this station."
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Re: Server issues

Postby Talaii » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:14 pm

I hear google is difficult.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887429/en-us

If the client requires SMB signing (RequireSecuritySignature = 1), and the server has it off, the connection will fail. Likewise if the server requires it and the client has it off. Check the registry keys below, and adjust the non-working machine to fit with the server (if you change stuff on the server, you may break it working on the other computer):
Client:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters
Value Name: EnableSecuritySignature
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0 (disable), 1 (enable)
and
Value Name: RequireSecuritySignature

Server:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManServer\Parameters

Value Name: EnableSecuritySignature
and
Value Name: RequireSecuritySignature

(to open the registry, go Start -> Run (or Win+R), regedit, click OK)
Talaii

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:30 am

I appreciate the assist. I wouldn't have known what to google tbh, and after looking through your link, it might as well have been Greek. Your post however did allow me to determine that this might very well be the issue, so just have to get someone with admin rights to the client and maybe, just maybe, we'll have it worked out!
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Talaii » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:38 am

Skye1013 wrote:I appreciate the assist. I wouldn't have known what to google tbh, and after looking through your link, it might as well have been Greek. Your post however did allow me to determine that this might very well be the issue, so just have to get someone with admin rights to the client and maybe, just maybe, we'll have it worked out!

I just googled the error message, and looked for an official microsoft link in the results.
Talaii

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:13 am

It worked! Thanks :)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:54 pm

Guess this should be in the frustrations thread, but then I'd have to explain it...

Seems the military has something that resets the option whenever the computer is rebooted... very annoying. Guess I'll have to try changing the server options and hope it doesn't break all the other computer's access :(.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Return to Tech Stuff