DK T13 - How many skulls?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

How many skulls will the DK T13 set contain?

0 - Blizzard fears Shoju's WRATH!
3%
1 - You ain't complete without one!
2%
2 - A nice, big, juicy pair of... skulls?
2%
3 to 10 - Mambo n°5 - "I've got a skull placed everywhere!"
28%
10 to xzibit - Yo dawg, we head you like skulls...
66%

Total votes : 65

Re: DK T13 - How many skulls?

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:22 am

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm really REALLY Happy that it isn't the skull happy mspaint job I pulled off earlier in the thread. but when you delay it because it sucked the first time, and your Blue post hypes the new set.... This just under delivers. Its not awful. I'm not falling out of my chair guffawing at it, and thanks to mogging I'm not going to scream about how ugly I have to look. It just doesn't seem that 'interesting' or original.

When I think about the helmet, I see: http://www.wowhead.com/item=46151 "DK-ified"
When I think about the Shoulders, I see: http://www.wowhead.com/item=16961 "DK-ified, and made out of bone"

The Chest, Gloves, Belt, and Legs all look like 5 man drops, and the boots remind me of http://www.wowhead.com/item=47511.

I'm not going to say it is the worst set ever, as that distinction still belongs to T7 and T11, but... The set doesn't.... Pop.
Shoju

Postby laterna » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:37 am

Now that every T13 is out, I'm starting to think that the designers are quite limited in what they can produce, and a bit of it comes from technical limitations. In current sets, the only thing that makes/breaks a set is the shoulders/head gear. I don't think there's any one set that is defined by chest/legs/gloves pieces, and thats where I think the limitations come. If the character/armor models were to be become severely more complex (ie more points of rotation/free movement/etc) maybe the gear can be made to look better.

eg, a chest piece with an all round neck plate that simply acts as to protect the neck area, meaning that your shoulderpads don't have to be touching the side of your head. Also, having gloves with stuff popping on the sides makes you look a bit nicer if your class supports it. I can definetly see a warrior set look extremely close to the DA2 pic and be an extremely nice looking set, but I am in serious doubt if the current character model and engine can support such a thing

a scale themed armor piece where the chest/legs/gloves are made out of scales but actually have some movement or just look like they have volume

Basically, the fact that all (not sure if its all or a few deviate) of the tier chest/legs are basically a re-skin attached to us does not help the designers. Maybe if this was to change, in a more bulkier/volume manner (atleast for plate/mail/leather) then the sets would look more intresting. I'm not sure if this can be done, but considering the belt changes in cataclysm that went from a patch of new cloth attached to our skin to a bulging outpopping item, I assume it can be done?
laterna

Postby poptart » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:58 am

laterna wrote:In current sets, the only thing that makes/breaks a set is the shoulders/head gear. I don't think there's any one set that is defined by chest/legs/gloves pieces, and thats where I think the limitations come. [SNIP]

One of the sets that I love is the lower level cloth random green "Silver-Thread" set (sorry that I cannot post a picture as I set behind a company firewall). That set screams at me with its design/detail on the gloves/pants/boots versus almost any other set I have seen. I am trying to collect the full set for my Priest but it is slow, slow going to find stuff on the AH.

I wish more, higher level sets took that much time to details on the armor and not just making the shoulders/helm look all out of this world.

Poptart
poptart

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:00 am

They've certainly altered, in small ways, boots, legs, and belts in the past. But to really get something interesting they'd have to rebuild most of the armor system, because as you say a lot of pieces are just skins (and there's things like how your legs don't exist when you wear a robe).

But they've shown they can make visually interesting sets even with the current graphics - the new Paladin PvP set, for example.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:05 am

KysenMurrin wrote:
But they've shown they can make visually interesting sets even with the current graphics - the new Paladin PvP set, for example.

I wish I could mog into that.
Shoju

Postby Arjuna » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:25 am

Seems like the only DK13 set that gets structured legs is the blue one... :P
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Shoju » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:31 am

Want to LOL? I'm going to look terrible in it. Thank god for mogging.
Shoju

Postby Zobel » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:33 am

Shoju wrote:Want to LOL? I'm going to look terrible in it. Thank god for mogging.

That's not so bad. You look like a perfectly serviceable scouring brush.
Zobel

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:44 am

Arjuna wrote:Seems like the only DK13 set that gets structured legs is the blue one... :P

So much Model Viewer fail imo
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:55 am

Looking at it again, I kinda think it looks better without the glow effect on the shoulders, just plain bone.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby culhag » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:50 am

Shoju wrote:Want to LOL? I'm going to look terrible in it. Thank god for mogging.

It looks better on a troll than on a human.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:13 pm

culhag wrote:

It looks better on a troll than on a human.

It not worse than the hunter T13.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Treck » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:29 pm

I guess whoever voted one won?
Wasnt me, i voted 0, but whats the prize? :P
Treck

Postby culhag » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Treck wrote:I guess whoever voted one won?
Wasnt me, i voted 0, but whats the prize? :P

It was me, but I'm counting two skulls on the set. (helm and belt)
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:48 pm

I didnt count the belt as its not part of the set.
Well, its not part of the tier, but it is part of the graphical set.
Treck

PreviousNext

Return to General