Remove Advertisements

[10H] Majordomo Staghelm

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Re: [10H] Majordomo Staghelm

Postby Belloc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:52 am

We usually have one orb handled by myself (warlock during Staghelm) and a shadow priest and the other orb handled by a mage and another ranged/healer. If we get two orbs next to each other, the tank will move in and share that one.

The orbs shouldn't really be an issue unless the cat chain-leaps your soakers. If that happens, simply move further away from the orb -- you have plenty of room. Communication ("orb people, move a full leap-length away from your orb! Everyone else, move further away to compensate!") will fix any problems that may arise.
Belloc

Postby Andover » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:38 pm

So by having 3 ranged DPS lose concentration for the orb phases you're still fine for total damage done?
Andover

Postby Kishandra » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:08 pm

What we normally do is to have the melee take all the orbs. One melee rotates with the tank, while the other two take the other orb. No matter where the orbs spawn in 10m, you can do so with plenty of room for range to spread out in. If orbs spawn like 2 yards apart though, we just have the 3 non-tank melee take 2 ticks and rotate both orbs at once.

This way, it guarantees that no orb targets will be leapt upon, making everything much safer and controlled. If you want range to take an orb though, I'd recommend using dps instead of heals.
Kishandra

Postby Belloc » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:11 pm

Andover wrote:So by having 3 ranged DPS lose concentration for the orb phases you're still fine for total damage done?

We've never seen the boss enrage, if that's what you mean. We also use 3 healers, so... DPS doesn't really seem like an issue on this fight.
Belloc

Postby HammU » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:28 am

I was just doing some calculations for our planned Staghelm tries this sunday and was wondering: If you're going with the 2scorp, 7cat, 1scorp, 7cat etc strategy, how many shape shifts (and therefor fury stacks) do you get? I ask, because the "DP + TBTrinket + GS" combination could already kill you in the 5th scorp cycle (9 fury stacks at that time, resulting in a scythe with base dmg of 1548000). If you're unlucky on the TBTrinket-resist, this flame-scythe would end up doing 250k dmg (1548000 * 0.6 * 0.7 -400k). The -400k represent the 200% absorb of GS.

Any informations on average number of cycles with this tactic would be appreciated for my peace of mind :)

Or did i mess up a part of my math?
HammU

Postby Arincia » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:45 pm

just going 0 scorpions 7 cats id say you'll hit the 10 minute mark/enrage at the 2nd orb stage. That said for a 190k hp tank to die (assuming 30% min resist with tb trinket up). So that would be 12 stacks as the highest amount.

30% min resist (aura+trinket) (.7 taken)
900k base damage *(1+ (.08*12))= 1764
-50% gank (.5 taken)
-40% dp glyph (.6 taken)

1784*.5*.6*.7=370k

That said tb trinket+ am = 40% min resist which is
1784*.5*.6*.6= 318k

Either way your very safe with GS as long as the tank has at least 175k hp (159k for 2nd one). Also remember AD is a get out graveyard free for this if needed as well.

Now with 14 stacks (max i think you could get)
1908k damage

1908*.7*.6*.5= 401k
1908*.6*.6*.5= 344k

Again as long as the tank as 201k hp (173k for 2nd) your safe with gs. that said if you want to make it a lot safer have a pally with Divine Shield or a SP with Dispersion help soak (1908/2)*.1*.9 (min resist just aura)=86k taken to SP and 200k taken to the tank. Either way if your worried about it at the end don't do any scorpions at all but keep in mind your healers will be doing 2x as much healing and boss isn't 2x as much damage until after the 13th stack.
Arincia

Postby Belloc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:29 pm

I think a lot of people are overestimating the difficulty of the fight and the usefulness of the tank soloing cleaves. Remember that soloing cleaves = the boss gets free energy which results in much quicker subsequent cleaves. You're only buying yourself a few seconds by soloing the cleaves.

The only "trick" you need for this fight, literally, is shuffling your raid away from the orbs if the cat jumps at it. If you're using melee/tanks to soak the orbs, you don't even need that. There was one attempt where I got targeted with jumps probably 3 times while soaking an orb and I did not die. It really isn't difficult, especially if you have your orb soakers start moving the instant the boss hits 100 energy.

There are also plenty of cooldowns available to use for soaking orbs: Bubble, ice block, dispersion, glyphed divine protection, etc.

My suggestion to everyone who hasn't tried this fight yet: Go in, take as many cleaves as you want in the first scorpion phase (or take 0 for all I care, it really doesn't matter), and then spend the rest of the fight with no cleaves (spread at 80 energy) and 6-7 leaps (we go with 5-6, for additional group-up time, but this is simply our guild's preference). When orbs hit, position your raid so that your tank and a melee are soaking one and your most survivable ranged are soaking the other. If both orbs spawn together, position your soakers to the sides of the orbs, so that the melee clump is never close enough to the ranged orb and vice versa. If your healing can't handle it, add a healer. If your DPS can't handle it, add a DPS. The fight is very easily 2/3 healed.

It's really as simple as that. If you find yourself having trouble, tell us exactly what the problem is or consider working on another heroic and practicing the strategy on normal mode.
Belloc

Postby Paoanii » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:38 am

I couldn't agree more with Belloc about overestimating the difficulty of this fight. My guild was a bit wary to jump into the "penultimate" heroic boss of the instance before we were 5/7, but after a long monday of working on Beth'tilac, we decided to clear the instance and try Majordomo heroic to see what it was like. 3 Pulls later we had a kill on a boss we'd never even seen before. Honestly, this boss isn't nearly as difficult as many think and I personally believe that if you have the dps for it, we probably would've done him second or third in retrospect instead of 5th.
Paoanii

Postby PsiVen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:42 pm

Belloc wrote:I think a lot of people are overestimating the difficulty of the fight and the usefulness of the tank soloing cleaves. Remember that soloing cleaves = the boss gets free energy which results in much quicker subsequent cleaves. You're only buying yourself a few seconds by soloing the cleaves.

Yeah, this is pretty much just an outdated trick that 25-mans were doing on the first progression kills. Solo cleaving used to buy you quite a bit of DPS time for melee to stay on the boss, but they made it unnecessary and unhelpful with the 10% HP nerf and energy-bonus change.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Thornbarry » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:10 am

Unfortunately the youtube-Link provided by Treck for the permanent switching tactic is not accessible for me due to copyright reasons.

Does anyone know about another video showing this tactic?

Thanks in advance.
Thornbarry

Postby oldboyz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:29 am

yup i confirm, quite easy fight in fact (intense, but the more you practice, the more evident, as usual :mrgreen: )

at least, make a few try to check if you have reach dps/heal requirement :wink:

of course,in 10, you have several option depending your roster.

for instance, in mine, we have 2 top-dps distance and a very solid 3healer comp (pal/sham/drood):
-we run 1st scorpion up to 10, with those 2 dps outside (last down, we even allowed a rogue to dps in the back for the first 5-6wave until healeur call him back)
-1st cat phase up to 7 (with BL)
all other scorpion are 3-4 mark while cat are 7mark (except the orb, we just go 3-5)

i guess we may try only cat phase/no scorp the day with only 2 dps at disposal
oldboyz

Postby Hrobertgar » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:16 am

we run 1st scorpion up to 10, with those 2 dps outside (last down, we even allowed a rogue to dps in the back for the first 5-6wave until healeur call him back)

You do have to be a little carefull with melee staying behind him, so as to make certain at least 7 people eat every slash.

all other scorpion are 3-4 mark while cat are 7mark (except the orb, we just go 3-5)

In my groups we do the 2nd and 3rd scorpion phases to 6 (Aura Mastery for final slash always). I actually think during seed phase it would be healable with a melee out behind the boss as long as seed people are quick to get back in so the slashes always have at least 7 targets. I also think we could probably do more than 6 slashes for the second one, but the gain is only minimal and would not avoid the orb phase.

After the orb phase, we then generally only do 5 scorp slashes, and again with Aura Mastery for every final one it is fine as long as everyone is eating them. When I am on my pally healer, I really aprpeciate mixing Radiance and Flashlight for scorpion phase.

As far as I can tell the dps requirement is ridiculously low enrage-wise, BUT most groups will still have to survive an entire orb phase which people may not have gotten a lot of practice on from normal mode.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Winkle » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:42 am

Wow people are still intent on taking scorpion slashes on heroic?

It is in know way helpful to take any scorpion slashes, and actually makes the fight harder.

2 heals, 1 tank, 7 DPS
0 scorp, 7 cat and blow that sucker up.
Winkle

Postby Kishandra » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:08 am

Winkle wrote:Wow people are still intent on taking scorpion slashes on heroic?

It is in know way helpful to take any scorpion slashes, and actually makes the fight harder.

2 heals, 1 tank, 7 DPS
0 scorp, 7 cat and blow that sucker up.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with taking slashes on the pull, unless you're actually running up against the 10m enrage timer.

The longer you stretch out the first scorpion phase, the better the rest of the fight becomes. With two healers, you can probably only go up to 7 or 8 stacks, but that's still a minute or so of "free" dps as opposed to straight up spreading out at 70%. It also gives you a chance to pop ae healing cooldowns.

Scenario 1: take a few slashes, you enter cat at 80% and everyone at around 20% concentration.
Scenario 2: spread out at 70 energy, enter cat at 95% and everyone at around 50% concentration.

30% concentration is -not- worth 15% of the boss' hp.
Kishandra

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:46 am

We're trying the 0-7-0 strat and the best we've done is bring him down to ~40%

Should we actually consider eating a couple of cleaves in the first scorpion and then go full 0-7-0 once the first cat phase is engaged?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to Cataclysm Raids (T11+)