One tank fights

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

One tank fights

Postby Lieris » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:47 pm

It's looking like 4 out of 7 bosses in Dragon Soul are one tank fights (Madness of Deathwing is too unfinished to judge). Firelands had 3 out of 7 bosses as one tank fights. How does your guild handle this situation and how do you feel about it?

I tank every fight for my group (I am expected to so I am bottom of the pecking order for off spec gear) but it saddens me that my co-tank is having to DPS almost as often as he tanks. Some of the most enjoyable fights in Cata have involved tanks working in tandem (Ragnaros P4 is really good for this) and it's a pity such fights feel so infrequent.

It makes me wonder how new tanks are supposed to break into the raiding game with raid spots so scarce and the additional expectation that they have to DPS well also.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Re: One tank fights

Postby Levantine » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:06 pm

We just have the druid go kitty, but I guess we lucked out since he actually enjoys being a cat quite a bit. The whole thing seems like a self fulfilling prophecy to me. There's a lack of willing tanks so blizzard designs around a single primary tank so there's fewer tanks in the pool so the lack of main tanks increases so blizzard is forced to keep making encounters with single tanks.
Levantine

Postby Kerriodos » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:06 pm

We only ever single-tanked Majordomo this tier. We only run a two tank roster since both our tanks have 98%+ attendance (others are capable if needed, but are mainspec DPS); I tanked Heroic Domo during progression due to Ardent Defender and after that we swapped in and out until we had our gear. Now we actually argue over who gets to sit, since it's a nice break from being in on every fight.

I imagine any fights in Dragon Soul will go similarly. Who ever is best suited for the role based on class mechanics will tank it for progression while the other sits. Later, we'll either switch it up or get the second person in as DPS and feed them their gear quickly so we don't need to worry about bringing them in each week.

I can understand guilds that run a 3 tank roster, since it's somewhat rare to find two tanks who can make it to nearly every raid (we've each missed maybe one raid all expansion), but when we did it in T11 it was immensely frustrating for all involved. I can only imagine a wealth of single-tank fights would exacerbate that quite a bit.
Kerriodos

Postby laterna » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:10 pm

We carry a 2xProt paladin setup, I carry prot/retri, and my co-tank carries prot/holy

Although in all honesty, we both have raid ready alts (I carry a holy/disco priest, and he has a shaman/fury warrior/holy priest/arcane mage/frost dk)

In either way, we just work with it by having either one of us get on a character that is beneficial for our raid team.

Sorry if the anwser doesn't help you, we're a hardcore-ish bunch but this is how we handle 1 tank fights really, by either brining in an extra healer (choice between shaman,priest,paladin healers all geared with 391 ilvl items) or an extra dps (retri paladin, fury warrior, ele shaman, shadowpriest, mage, dk)

It helps to have geared alts, and if you have 7/7 hc cleared as a guild, you get to have tons of a free time to gear up/lvl up alts really, especially if you clear firelands on wendsday then run 4xruns with alts/socials all doing 6/7hc for items
laterna

Postby Timbalcrash » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 pm

We run a four tank rooster at the moment which was a five tank rooster during t11.
We try to even out tank participation as fair as possible and two tank most of the encounters with exception of majordomus with 6/7 hm 25 at the moment.
Nevertheless the tanks have to sit a lot.
So the outlook of a majority of one tank fights does not have us dancing in the streets.
Timbalcrash

Postby bldavis » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:02 pm

Levantine wrote:We just have the druid go kitty, but I guess we lucked out since he actually enjoys being a cat quite a bit.

dangit you beat me to it lev!

and i love being kitty so ami gets to tank and i get to take a break from my big bear ass :twisted:

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Sagara » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Same, I got three sets of gear, and I spec according to needs before we start the raid.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Thrornir » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:49 am

Sorry, maybe it's a difference in heroic I've not gotten to, but I can't think of a third one-tank boss unless you're referring to Alysrazor. (Other 1-tank fights I can think of are Lord Rhyolith and Majordomo)

Like Laterna, we have 2 prot pally maintanks, a druid who has bear offspec and a warrior who's mainspec tank but normally raids with us as DPS, so we do have some possibility to mix and match. Generally we won't class swap, so if a fight needs more heals my cotank goes heals, if it needs more DPS I break out the hammer and start beating things as ret.
Thrornir

Postby Worldie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:53 am

I usually DPS on 1 tank fights, I enjoy a break from tanking every now and then. I still find 1 tank fights very annoying, no surprise there's less and less tanks around.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:55 am

We single tank Rhyolith, Baleroc and Majordomo heroic (10 man). Our warrior really likes going fury so he goes dps on those bosses.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:03 am

Amirya solo tanks Baleroc and Domo
and i get to be a kitty :D

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Treck » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:15 am

4/7 beeing onetank fights?
Murchok is not a one tank fight as you need someone to taunt off to clear debuffs.
Both the faceless bosses are singletank fights. Even tho we dont really know how the debuff might work on heroic with the slime guy.
Ultraxion is not a singletank fight.
Gunship is not a single tank fight. Dont think both debuffs reset between the waves if you solotank both adds (unless they die instantly) also your not gonna be able to tank the boss with sunder armor not dropping off when the boss has about 90vengeance.
And while spine is doable with one tank (on normal) im not sure its going to stay the same when it goes live, especially not for heroic.
That means 2, maybe 3 might be singletank fights. Dunno where you got the 4th one from.
I would think they would wanna aim for all fights beeing 2tank fights with the lfr finder coming up, not always the 2nd tank will have an offspecc.
Treck

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:11 am

Blizzard have said the only fight in Firelands they actually designed as 1-tank was Majordomo Staghelm, but most people do single tank 3 of them. So even when they do try to make it for both tanks it doesn't always work out. I doubt they've deliberately made a large portion of Dragon Soul single-tank.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Lieris » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:24 am

Treck wrote:4/7 beeing onetank fights?
Murchok is not a one tank fight as you need someone to taunt off to clear debuffs.
Both the faceless bosses are singletank fights. Even tho we dont really know how the debuff might work on heroic with the slime guy.
Ultraxion is not a singletank fight.
Gunship is not a single tank fight. Dont think both debuffs reset between the waves if you solotank both adds (unless they die instantly) also your not gonna be able to tank the boss with sunder armor not dropping off when the boss has about 90vengeance.
And while spine is doable with one tank (on normal) im not sure its going to stay the same when it goes live, especially not for heroic.
That means 2, maybe 3 might be singletank fights. Dunno where you got the 4th one from.
I would think they would wanna aim for all fights beeing 2tank fights with the lfr finder coming up, not always the 2nd tank will have an offspecc.

Hagara, Vor'sahj, Zon'ozz. Ultraxion read to me like a one tank fight.

We've finally managed to get our group copied to the PTR, hopefully it isn't too laggy on Sunday night.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:27 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Blizzard have said the only fight in Firelands they actually designed as 1-tank was Majordomo Staghelm, but most people do single tank 3 of them. So even when they do try to make it for both tanks it doesn't always work out. I doubt they've deliberately made a large portion of Dragon Soul single-tank.

If that's the case then they aren't very bright. There's no benefit to a second tank for Rhyolith and Baleroc would be impossible to meet the DPS requirements with two tanks.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General