Graphics Card Question

Hardware, software, geek stuff

Moderators: laterna, Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Graphics Card Question

Postby Flex » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:53 am

Well the open handset alliance was a brainchild of Google who just happened to have this Android thing they bought,and it was sold to the hardware sector because it wasn't Apple's approach of "f u carriers."
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby knaughty » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:24 am

Sabindeus wrote:
knaughty wrote:WebKit, <snip> (is a) good example of Apple tech that have been well accepted by the Open Source community.

Can't help but be a stickler here. WebKit is not an original Apple project. They adopted KHTML from KDE, forked it, hired a lot of KHTML devs, and turned it into WebKit, which then went on to be a big hit.

And KHTML was a fork of the KDE HTML Widget, which was probably a fork of something else, probably going back five more steps to the NCSA MOSAIC source code or the original libwww by Tim Berners-Lee.

In UNIX, nothing has been an original project since the 1970s. Everything is built by "standing on the shoulders of giants".

I was using KHTML a couple of years before it was adopted by Apple for WebKit as I was a K-Desktop-Environment on Linux user (amongst many other things) in the late 90s and KHTML was pretty fucking awful - seriously incomplete and pretty much a disaster. Almost enough to make me switch to Gnome. I think I made do with Nutscape, which was a piece of crap by 1999.

KHTML's chief advantage from Apple's perspective was that it was small and clean (which could mean my "descended from god-knows-what surmise isn't correct - maybe it was a clean new HTML engine).

Anyway, by the time WebKit was being created I'd switched to OS X, so maybe 2002-era KHTML was better than the 1999-2000 versions I'd been using. It's scary to think that I was using IE 5.5 for OS X and liking it in comparison to the Linux browsers I'd had access to. I was stuck with IE 5.5 till... 2003/2004 when Safari and FireFox became available.

The GNOME/KDE Linux desktop wars were one of the prime drivers behind me switching to OS X. That was the point that it became clear to me that the Linux nerds were never going to get their damn act together and actually build a decent desktop OS instead of having fork-wars and regularly descending into retardedly stupid licence angst.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:12 pm

knaughty wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
knaughty wrote:WebKit, <snip> (is a) good example of Apple tech that have been well accepted by the Open Source community.

Can't help but be a stickler here. WebKit is not an original Apple project. They adopted KHTML from KDE, forked it, hired a lot of KHTML devs, and turned it into WebKit, which then went on to be a big hit.

And KHTML was a fork of the KDE HTML Widget, which was probably a fork of something else, probably going back five more steps to the NCSA MOSAIC source code or the original libwww by Tim Berners-Lee.

To the best of my knowledge, KHTML was a continuation/evolution of khtmlw, not a fork, and khtmlw was built from scratch, not as a derivative of any other source tree. I'll admit my memory of that era is shaky and I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.

In UNIX, nothing has been an original project since the 1970s. Everything is built by "standing on the shoulders of giants".

Well I mean you're absolutely right from the point of view of the unix philosophy of not duplicating effort and re-using everything, but then we have examples like Linux, the whole purpose of which was to write from scratch an operating system, that yes, behaved UNIX-like, but was not restrained by all of the commercial licenses of its inspirations. That "code from scratch" part is what I was referring to in my previous post. Because while you can of course say that Linux is inspired by and based conceptually on, etc. etc. by UNIX, System V, MINIX, etc. you CANNOT say it is a fork or derivative work of those previous things. So calling WebKit an example of Apple tech is misleading because they in fact did not write it from scratch at Apple.

This is all really nitpicky though.

Also the really SAD part about IE 5.5 for OS X was that it was so much faster and reliable than every other option until Firefox came around.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby knaughty » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:46 am

Sabindeus wrote:Also the really SAD part about IE 5.5 for OS X was that it was so much faster and reliable than every other option until Firefox came around.

There were other options?

Please don't tell me you're counting Nutscrape. :twisted:
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Kelaan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:49 pm

knaughty wrote:Can anyone name a Google Open Source project that isn't completely under Google's thumb? WebKit, OpenCL and LLVM (plus other improvements to GCC) are good examples of Apple tech that have been well accepted by the Open Source community.

Only things I can think of off the top of my head are Chrome/Chromium and Google Web Toolkit. They probably count as "under Google's thumb" to an extent, but AFAIK the current versions are released. They're open source projects, and Google definitely eats their own dog food. They demo/etc things on Chrome, and their primary business app (AdWords) is built in GWT, so they are constantly improving it. They could conceivably (I expect) have a closed fork of it, and probably do - being the original developer, they're allowed to do that under most open source licenses.

Now, whether you subscribe to RMS' view of "open" or the slightly different "open"-ness goal that most BSD people have is an entirely different matter.
Kelaan

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:41 pm

knaughty wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Also the really SAD part about IE 5.5 for OS X was that it was so much faster and reliable than every other option until Firefox came around.

There were other options?

Please don't tell me you're counting Nutscrape. :twisted:

No I was thinking of iCab and OmniWeb actually. Pretty sure there was no carbon port of any Netscape version.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:01 pm

And now that a new version of Android will be released on a PHONE device, its source code will be made available http://groups.google.com/group/android- ... d15a?pli=1

I'd guess that honeycomb is a mostly dead branch at this point, that is assuming they are going to be working on merging the tablet and phone OS, but they may also be planning on keeping them separate.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Previous

Return to Tech Stuff